Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revenants Fish Tales

Revenants Fish Tales
Can we export the very, very, very interesting fish posts to their own thread so we can find them in emergencies?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Revenant77x, Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-10-2021, 02:09 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 01:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote: Well my local fish store had 5 ember tetras left so I put them on hold til I could get over there.  Picked up a clean up crew of 6 cherry shrimp (3 red 3 blue) and a Pygmy Cory.  That should be good for now gonna wait a while before I decide on anything else.  Neon Tetras are still a strong possibility but we will see.  I also added a bunch of the smaller bits of Dragonstone that were left over from when I chipped down the big piece to get it to fit better in the Aquarium gives it a more natural riverbed look.  Also added some Almond leaves (nano Catappata leaves) the tank for the tannins plus it will gives the shrimps a snack in a few days when they waterlog and sink to the bottom of the tank.  Right now the stocking would be about the max for a 5 gallon tank so for a 20 gallon we still have a lot of leeway.  Understocked is better than overstocked but it is all about water quality. 

[Image: Et09py_WQAMxJaQ?format=jpg&name=360x360]

[Image: Et09qXGWQAE91aS?format=jpg&name=360x360]

[Image: Et09qppXYAARWn_?format=jpg&name=360x360]

[Image: Et09qC-XAAIWbVs?format=jpg&name=360x360]

With live plants in place, water quality continues to improve as they grow.

That is the goal.  The plant at the center front is about 50% converted from immersed to submersed the new growth is super bright green and bristely, the Amazon Swords are 33% converted (they get narrow long leaves that look like sword blades) and as they fully convert they will start to fill in.  I decided to get fancy and got a WiFi socket timer and set a schedule for the light on that tank set at 50% power to keep algae growth to a minimum while the rest of the plants are settling in.  So in a couple of months once everything is humming along I think I will finish stocking with a few more pygmy cories so the lil guy isn't lonely maybe some more shrimp since they add effectively 0 bioload and finish off with a school of fancy guppies (prob just males as I am not set up right now for breeding but could always change my mind later) for a harmonious peaceful tank.  The guppies would fill in the upper 1/3rd of the tank and add a bit more color, the Embers like to hang out midstream and the shrimp and the cories hang out near the bottom, though the corydora will school with other fish from time to time and they like to dart around the tank.

Revenants Fish Tales
Didnt know fish tanks are so much of a science. Thumbs Up
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: Et3_2FwWQAMuL3Z?format=jpg&name=medium]

Zipper the Pygmy Corydora catfish, named so because the crazy bastard is always zipping around the tank.

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-10-2021, 02:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Didnt know fish tanks are so much of a science.  Thumbs Up

They are small eco systems. Everything needs to be properly balanced - various bacteria, the number of fish needed to feed the bacteria with waste, the correct number of plants to mop up what the bacteria can't. The proper temperatures and PH for your specific types of fish. Some bottom feeders to clean up food waste and some window cleaners to remove algae. 

When it all balances, fish will thrive for many years and you hardly have any upkeep. Some plant pruning and the very occasional water change.

If you can't get a proper eco system going, you have to change the water (with chlorine free water) very often, and the fish don't thrive or live as long. Remember, they pee and poop into what they breathe. If you can't have the system dispose of the waste, you have to, and often. And the results are still disappointing compared to a balanced aquarium.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Revenant77x, Deesse23

Revenants Fish Tales
Just did a round of testing and the nitrogen cycle is off to a good start.  I am just barely registering any Ammonia (less than .25 parts per million) do have a bit of Nitrite (again around .25 parts per million) and 0 Nitrate, which given the plant level I doubt this tank would ever register any Nitrate as it will get used nearly as fast as it is produced.  Am going to be doing daily water changes for awhile and seeding more beneficial bacteria but so far so good.
The following 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: Just did a round of testing and the nitrogen cycle is off to a good start.  I am just barely registering any Ammonia (less than .25 parts per million) do have a bit of Nitrite (again around .25 parts per million) and 0 Nitrate, which given the plant level I doubt this tank would ever register any Nitrate as it will get used nearly as fast as it is produced.  Am going to be doing daily water changes for awhile and seeding more beneficial bacteria but so far so good.

The thing that has plagued me most often with new tanks is algae. The plants are not well established and not mature enough to do all of their job, and algae of all kinds proliferates. Some types are not eaten by algae eaters, they are too coarse. That's pretty much the only issue I tend to have with new tanks, and why I often pull the brakes on myself with populating the tank. Pulling the breaks is the hardest for me, I tend to get carried away once I can envision all I want in there. The algae does tend to go away as the root systems of the plants become more efficient.

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-10-2021, 04:42 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 04:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: Just did a round of testing and the nitrogen cycle is off to a good start.  I am just barely registering any Ammonia (less than .25 parts per million) do have a bit of Nitrite (again around .25 parts per million) and 0 Nitrate, which given the plant level I doubt this tank would ever register any Nitrate as it will get used nearly as fast as it is produced.  Am going to be doing daily water changes for awhile and seeding more beneficial bacteria but so far so good.

The thing that has plagued me most often with new tanks is algae. The plants are not well established and not mature enough to do all of their job, and algae of all kinds proliferates. Some types are not eaten by algae eaters, they are too coarse. That's pretty much the only issue I tend to have with new tanks, and why I often pull the brakes on myself with populating the tank. Pulling the breaks is the hardest for me, I tend to get carried away once I can envision all I want in there. The algae does tend to go away as the root systems of the plants become more efficient.

What I am doing is just limiting the amount of light going into the tank, keeping the LEDs at 50% and they are on a timer.  Hopefully this will keep algae down, I also have some already established ferns in there so that will help a lot.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
Wow, just...wow Shake
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Revenant77x, Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-10-2021, 05:05 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Wow, just...wow  Shake

It's a challenge, and very satisfactory when you get it right. Usually it takes tweaking. It's also super interesting to re-create a segment of nature. It gave me great respect for evolution and how everything comes out balanced in the end. The nature around us is so delicately balanced and constantly changing, as each segment always strives for dominance. It's quite amazing once you get into it.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Deesse23, Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
Thread moved to "blog it here".
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: Et9L8W7WQAUEc3K?format=jpg&name=medium]

Water sprite is transitioning nicely to it's submerged form.  The bright green bristly leaves are a great hiding spot for tiny fish and shrimp.  It is also versatile in that you can either plant it in the substrate or use it as a floating plant.
The following 3 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, Phaedrus

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 03:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: Et9L8W7WQAUEc3K?format=jpg&name=medium]

Water sprite is transitioning nicely to it's submerged form.  The bright green bristly leaves are a great hiding spot for tiny fish and shrimp.  It is also versatile in that you can either plant it in the substrate or use it as a floating plant.

Water sprite is new to me.

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: Et9L8W7WQAUEc3K?format=jpg&name=medium]

Water sprite is new to me.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: Et9f3R2XAAAF560?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: giphy.gif]

For those who enjoy science, here is my API Master Test Kit in action.  I am testing the Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate level in the 20 gallon.  I have added 1 piece to the kit however and that is a syringe designed for dosing medication.  I can set it to only take 5ml (the amount of water I need to do the test) and it has a stopper that prevents you from getting any more than the dialed in amount thus I can keep my testing very consistent.
The following 2 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom, Phaedrus

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: Et91kdmWYAQtzy8?format=jpg&name=medium]

I am probably worrying too much about this but I have small fish and did not want them to get sucked through the water changer.  So I rigged up a filter media bag around the gravelvac and secured it with a zip tie.  I left enough slack that I can remove it if I want but it wont fall off.  Did water changes on both tanks 20% on the 5 gallon Betta tank and a big 50% change on the 20.  Just not I saw all my plants respirating, sending little bubbles of oxygen up into the water, so that shows they are doing well so far.

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 06:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: Et91kdmWYAQtzy8?format=jpg&name=medium]

I am probably worrying too much about this but I have small fish and did not want them to get sucked through the water changer.  So I rigged up a filter media bag around the gravelvac and secured it with a zip tie.  I left enough slack that I can remove it if I want but it wont fall off.  Did water changes on both tanks 20% on the 5 gallon Betta tank and a big 50% change on the 20.  Just not I saw all my plants respirating, sending little bubbles of oxygen up into the water, so that shows they are doing well so far.

I have had Otos and Gertrudaes swim into that cylinder and swim back out. It's more likely you suck up plants that don't have a good root system yet. Never swallowed a fish yet, but I have uprooted new plants.
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 06:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote: [Image: Et91kdmWYAQtzy8?format=jpg&name=medium]

I have had Otos and Gertrudaes swim into that cylinder and swim back out. It's more likely you suck up plants that don't have a good root system yet. Never swallowed a fish yet, but I have uprooted new plants.

I actually more have issues with filling, but I got a cheap plastic colander to disperse the flow and it works a charm.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 07:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:

I actually more have issues with filling, but I got a cheap plastic colander to disperse the flow and it works a charm.

It'll take a while but the substrate will settle and not move as easily.
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
(02-11-2021, 07:11 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote: I have had Otos and Gertrudaes swim into that cylinder and swim back out. It's more likely you suck up plants that don't have a good root system yet. Never swallowed a fish yet, but I have uprooted new plants.

It'll take a while but the substrate will settle and not move as easily.

Yup but with a planted tank you need to do big water changes multiple times a week for the first couple weeks until all the levels stabilize.  I got the Colander trick from a professional  Aquascaper, I linked one of his videos earlier.
  • Dom

Revenants Fish Tales
This is going to be a rant and I will mentioned the disgraced former president of the United states so it that bothers you here is a gif of a cute kitten.

[Image: 13f2029ef55cd645217d5df463c9e874.gif]

Motherfucker!!  Angry Angry Angry Angry How is it that we have the only sub-freezing temperature of the year is when I have tropical plants in shipment.  Fucking package was supposed to be here on Wednesday but the post office is in fucking shambles because the shit gibbon tried to steal an election by sabotaging the fucking Postal Service.  We never even saw the mail truck yesterday so the package was out on a truck all day and will be again (we normally get mail sometime between 3pm-5pm) and given that I live in Texas and this was coming from just outside of Seattle I doubt they put a heat pack in it, if that would even still be active given the multiple delays this package has had.  Best I can do at this point is hope the roots survived and float em in the tank for a bit to see if they recover at all.  Fuck Trump!
  • Dom, Aliza, Fireball

Revenants Fish Tales
I have had the opposite experience - plants arriving boiled in summer. Sucks!
  • Revenant77x

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: EuDflzFWgAYw9dl?format=jpg&name=large]

Tank is looking good today.
  • Dom, Deesse23, Phaedrus

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: EuD7qRkXYAcE73S?format=jpg&name=small]

Plants got here, all were very cold but none were frozen so got them into heated water asap.  Got some red root floating plants at the top for a bit of cover for the fish and to add a splash of color to the tank, this is mostly an experiment as it can be a bit fussy for some people but I really like the look of it and am not crazy about a lot of other floating plants.  at the bottom we have 2 pots of Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan (a carpeting plant that resembled clover) that will live in the foreground 1 Banana Plant (named for the cool banana like rysome it uses to store nutrients) in the middle and a Scarlet Temple in the back for a low tech splash of red.  Most red plants require CO2 to really stay red while submersed but this one does not.

Top view of the red root floaters.
[Image: EuD7qjjXEAQARt5?format=jpg&name=small]
The following 2 users Like Revenant77x's post:
  • Dom, Phaedrus

Revenants Fish Tales
[Image: EuMz_g6XAAAjiWh?format=jpg&name=small]

Another big water change (70%) but that was mostly to facilitate planting.  Everything seems to be doing well after shipping, after removing the rockwall all the roots look healthy which is really what you are paying for when you buy aquatic plants.

In other news I picked up a pair of Corydoras to help with the clean up as the poor pygmy was just too small to solo that job, was hoping they would school but I might need to get another pygmy from the LFS so he has a friend.  I also picked up a cheap 10 gallon tank to serve as a hospital/quarantine tank for when I decide to go get some Guppies as they tend to have parasites and don't want to crash the community by adding sick fish, this is going to be bare bones will just move a sponge filter over from a cycled tank and fill it with water when I need to use it.  Might drop in a moss ball or two to use up nitrates but that is it.
  • Phaedrus

[-]
Quick Reply