Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you dress when you go out for dinner?

(09-16-2021, 05:56 PM)Antonio Wrote: I dress lavishly ,expensive tailored Italian silk , flashing my Rolex and finger jewelry, custom made shoes . My trophy wife wearing a plunging neckline designer dress 4" heels flashing multi carrot diamond ring and diamond earrings. We love how people notice us while we totally ignore them .

Top Hat and Tuxedo, of course.  The Club requires it.  And then I sit down to a meal of perfectly-minced steak on a personally-made bun of the finest all-purpose flour  (from the splendid farms of Iowa, I am  assured) sprinkled with the very FRESHEST sesame seeds and OH, that whole thing topped with a pickle made in some expert place.  To DIE FOR!

But I feel so saddened at your lack of accompaniment.  SURELY you must have for than one sterling lady dressed to the ninesat your side?  Who ELSE could offer you the fried french potatoes with JUST the right amount of night-long heated hothouse-grown tomato consume' to match the entrancing house sauce while another makes sure your specifically-requested carbonic beverage is kept well-iced and with the most delightful of a curly straw.  

Well, I suppose we can't ALL have the perfect life.  But do keep trying.  I'm sure some elderly Uncle will give you a good inheritance soon and allow you to experience the wonders I experience daily...

Ta-Ta and Kissy-Cheeks...  You will reach minor nobility soon, I am sure, and possibly even well-deserved...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

I don't eat at fancy restaurants. Jeans and a tee.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat, SYZ, c172

(09-16-2021, 05:56 PM)Antonio Wrote: I dress lavishly ,expensive tailored Italian silk , flashing my Rolex and finger jewelry, custom made shoes . My trophy wife wearing a plunging neckline designer dress 4" heels flashing multi carrot diamond ring and diamond earrings. We love how people notice us while we totally ignore them .

I noticed that your shoes were not actually made of fine Corinthian leather.

I dig you wife's bolt-ons, though -- they look great in that v-neck.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Antonio

I made a black leather Matrix coat very similar to this.   

[Image: 5e89676b679954a47ec83881445ca378.jpg]

It's shorter, about mid-calf length, but I lined it in a red slik Chinese material very similar to this...

[Image: 61ERtjf2GJL._AC_UL320_.jpg]

So when I walk around in downtown Portland on a dark, dreary, cloudy day the silk lining flips out sometimes in a shock of color.  I've had people stop me on the street asking me where I got the coat. I've used it in a couple of theatre productions.  It's often what I wear when I go out to a fancy dinner in Portland along with some high heeled black boots and black pants and top.  Love that coat.  It's a real show stopper.  I tend to dress in a theatrical manner when I dress up.  Shy
                                                         T4618
The following 7 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Antonio, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, Bcat, Dom, Astreja

I just can't be bothered. Normally jeans and tee, and when it's fancy I wear slacks and a nice blouse. Since I retired that's all I own anymore - a couple of pairs of jeans and a ton of t-shirts, one decent pair of slacks and one decent blouse. And some loose dresses with big pockets for around the house. It's being comfortable that matters to me anymore. You would need to point a gun to my head to get me to put on heels.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Antonio, Alan V, SYZ, c172

(09-17-2021, 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I noticed that your shoes were not actually made of fine Corinthian leather.

I dig you wife's bolt-ons, though -- they look great in that v-neck.

To tell the truth I have no idea what kind of leather my shoes are made of .

I leave that up to the cordwainer in London .
 All I know is that I know nothing
The following 1 user Likes Antonio's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I dress the same no matter what I'm doing: button-up shirts and jeans. For variation, I wear sandals and short-sleeves in the summers and sneakers and long-sleeves in the winters.

I just don't do anything which would require me to wear anything different, except funerals. And I eat out for lunch almost every day.

(09-17-2021, 04:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I made a black leather Matrix coat very similar to this.   

[Image: 5e89676b679954a47ec83881445ca378.jpg]

It's shorter, about mid-calf length, but I lined it in a red slik Chinese material very similar to this...

[Image: 61ERtjf2GJL._AC_UL320_.jpg]

So when I walk around in downtown Portland on a dark, dreary, cloudy day the silk lining flips out sometimes in a shock of color.  I've had people stop me on the street asking me where I got the coat. I've used it in a couple of theatre productions.  It's often what I wear when I go out to a fancy dinner in Portland along with some high heeled black boots and black pants and top.  Love that coat.  It's a real show stopper.  I tend to dress in a theatrical manner when I dress up.  Shy

That's pretty hawt.
On hiatus.

Here's how I dress when I'm going out to play guitar for some folk:

[Image: R7LlDj7.jpg]

Here's how I dress when I'm at home:

[Image: cjg1FSN.jpg]

I guess the guitar and the smirk are the constants.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, SYZ

My wife tells me to take off my "homeless person" uniform and put on my dress cut-off jeans.

I do it grudgingly.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Antonio, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

I haven't been "Out' for dinne for so long.

C-vid etc locking everything down. *Sigh*

Basically just black. Black shirt, black pants etc.

Modest

Cheers.

Not at work.
The following 2 users Like Peebothuhlu's post:
  • Dom, Bcat

I put socks on, oh... and turn me undies inside out... even if I've only worn them for a month.

I don't like to smell when I go out.    Chuckle
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Shit.  Socks.

That's like wearing a tuxedo these days!
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

Y'all's some ragamuffins here.

I take a shower once a week, whether I need it or not.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

I've been meaning to catch up with this thread because I think I solved the mystery of why I perceived that people were dressed so casually when they were out to dinner, and why this was so strange to me. I believe it may boil down to regional differences between the industrial city I was living in, and the more cosmopolitan city that I'm from. My home city tends to attract a lot of tourists and seasonal residents, and people just have a culture of dressing up more. 

When I moved back here, I realized right away that it was probably a regional difference. I'll bet I'll find a similar culture in New York, and I definitely saw it in Los Angeles when I visited there a little while ago.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Alan V

(04-10-2022, 02:43 AM)Aliza Wrote: I've been meaning to catch up with this thread because I think I solved the mystery of why I perceived that people were dressed so casually when they were out to dinner, and why this was so strange to me. I believe it may boil down to regional differences between the industrial city I was living in, and the more cosmopolitan city that I'm from. My home city tends to attract a lot of tourists and seasonal residents, and people just have a culture of dressing up more. 

When I moved back here, I realized right away that it was probably a regional difference. I'll bet I'll find a similar culture in New York, and I definitely saw it in Los Angeles when I visited there a little while ago.

Not for me. I just like to be comfortable. I dress the same wherever I go, and I have frequented many 5 star restaurants in many cities and countries over the years. The most concession I made was wearing pants other than jeans, and a blouse instead of a Tshirt. But that is very, very rare. And I only did it so not to embarrass the person(s) who invited me. My parents used to dress up, and dress me up too. I never liked it, I only did it because they would feel embarrassed otherwise. 

Now that I'm retired, I don't go to places like that anymore anyway, so the issue is moot for me. But I never did understand the point or motivation for all that primping.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aliza, Alan V

I'm pretty comfortable whether I'm wearing a tie or a tee. It's all rags at the end of the day. If I'm comfy, I can fly it.

[Image: TigNnFz.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Aliza, Fireball, SYZ

Generally dress shorts..... which is to say not sweats or jersey type... and a clean t-shirt.

It's Arizona.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom

(04-10-2022, 04:34 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Generally dress shorts..... which is to say not sweats or jersey type... and a clean t-shirt.

It's Arizona.

Yeah, totally. A nice pair of shorts and a fitted t-shirt works in many cases. It's many not right for all places, but it works for plenty enough.

I stay out of places that are too snooty.

Depends on the restaurant:

Fast food: Jeans/sweats/shorts (weather-dependent).

Casual dining: Long trousies, short-sleeved shirt.

More-than-casual-but-less-than-posh: Long trousies, long sleeved shirt.

Posh: Dress trousers, jacket (and a tie, depending on the restaurant's rules).

Ultraposh: Tuxedo and a diving helmet.

Boru
The following 1 user Likes BrianSoddingBoru5's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

It's been two plus years now, I don't understand 'out' anymore.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Aliza

Lately, with my incontinence and mobility issues, I wear baggy fleece shirts and pants when I go out. I dress purely for comfort, regardless of what it looks like. My fuddy-duddy father would be pissed, but he isn't around to complain anymore. I recently had dinner at a family restaurant with an atheist friend of mine. We had a wonderful time! Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

(04-10-2022, 11:57 AM)brewerb Wrote: It's been two plus years now, I don't understand 'out' anymore.

I know, right? It's been 2 years since I've seen a movie in the theaters. 

But as for going out to eat, I live in Florida where A) there is no pandemic because DeSantis said so, and B) diners can sit outside year-round. So after the first few months of the restaurants being closed outright, I was able to enjoy the patio tables at just about any restaurant.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb

I don't understand why anyone likes to dress up. I'd rather be comfortable.

I don't like to wear Halloween costumes either.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Aliza, Dom, SYZ