Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What streaming service(s) do you use?

I use Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Netflix is the only one I have to pay for since Amazon Prime is free with the phone service I use.

There's a new streaming service called Discovery +, but I'm fine not using other services.

What about you? Are you cable free yet?

I get Peacock free, IIRC. I pay for Amazon Prime but more for free shipping. The services I pay for are HBO Max, CBS All Access, and Disney Plus. When NFL game pass drops to $25, I'll grab that, too.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus

AT&T TV - I also have Amazon Prime.  HBO and netflix are cheap add-ons to AT&T.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

As an aside, does anyone ahve any good suggestions for me? I can't stream to my TV because my wifi won't go through the walls. I will have to find a good wifi extender, which will still be tricky to place, I may need two to get around the corners. Does anyone use these, and what do I need to look for? I have Amazon Prime and I don't want to sit and watch on my desktop.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus

I live literally between the Missouri and Mississippi. Very convenient. I've tried the Nile, Mekong, and Amazon.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, SYZ

Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime with curiosity stream, CBS All Access, HBO Max (or whatever one it is that I watched Wonder Woman 84 on), and Peacock premium.

For reasons I can't really justify, I also pay for cable but the only thing I watch on there that I can't find elsewhere is MSNBC. I need my daily Rachel fix.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Phaedrus

Netflix and Amazon Prime, plus the free streaming services of the main UK channels - BBC iplayer, ITVhub, All4, Demand5, UKTV Play.
The following 1 user Likes Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Phaedrus

Only Netflix. Well, I used Disney+ just to watch The Mandalorian.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Bcat, Phaedrus

None.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Phaedrus

(01-05-2021, 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote: As an aside, does anyone ahve any good suggestions for me? I can't stream to my TV because my wifi won't go through the walls. I will have to find a good wifi extender, which will still be tricky to place, I may need two to get around the corners. Does anyone use these, and what do I need to look for? I have Amazon Prime and I don't want to sit and watch on my desktop.

What are you currently using for WiFi?  Modern WiFi modems and routers have no problem with walls. Consider 

Is your equipment a little vintage? Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(01-05-2021, 05:15 PM)Aliza Wrote: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime with curiosity stream, CBS All Access, HBO Max (or whatever one it is that I watched Wonder Woman 84 on), and Peacock premium.

For reasons I can't really justify, I also pay for cable but the only thing I watch on there that I can't find elsewhere is MSNBC. I need my daily Rachel fix.

Yabut, is your WiFi router your cable modem?  If so, that's why you need cable.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

What is this 'streaming'?  Cranky
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aliza, SYZ, c172

(01-06-2021, 08:53 AM)Chas Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote: As an aside, does anyone ahve any good suggestions for me? I can't stream to my TV because my wifi won't go through the walls. I will have to find a good wifi extender, which will still be tricky to place, I may need two to get around the corners. Does anyone use these, and what do I need to look for? I have Amazon Prime and I don't want to sit and watch on my desktop.

What are you currently using for WiFi?  Modern WiFi modems and routers have no problem with walls. Consider 

Is your equipment a little vintage? Consider

I am on DSL, which is all I can get other than satellite, and satellite around here goes down a lot due to weather. I have very, very, very slow internet on DSL, but I just bought the latest router. I suppose the walls still dilute the reception even farther. On DSL, I am lucky to be able to stream anyway. All my equipment is current and good quality.

I wish my DSL was faster. Stuck with this:

[Image: Mi7h86X.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(01-06-2021, 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 05:15 PM)Aliza Wrote: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime with curiosity stream, CBS All Access, HBO Max (or whatever one it is that I watched Wonder Woman 84 on), and Peacock premium.

Yabut, is your WiFi router your cable modem?  If so, that's why you need cable.

Yes it is, but I don't need nearly so many cable channels. I can keep basic cable and upgrade my internet speed. I've only casually browsed my options with this.

LOL... I don't even know what "streaming" is, other than what my eyes do
when I'm chopping onions.

(Nope, I don't stream, and never intend to. It's a waste of money IMO.)
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus

(01-06-2021, 04:57 PM)SYZ Wrote: LOL... I don't even know what "streaming" is, other than what my eyes do
when I'm chopping onions.

(Nope, I don't stream, and never intend to.  It's a waste of money IMO.)

You can stream quite a few things for free on youtube. I am not a member at youtube, and I still stream things there on occasion.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

Discovery + is a service for the boyfriend, it seems. He only watches HGTV, and this service seems to be full of those shows.

I was looking through a list of their shows, and there's absolutely nothing there to interest me.

Streaming service?

I use the Mk I urethra.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Minimalist

I don't pay for Netflix-type services. I do watch live events of all types on YouTube. Also, ESPN has some things for free. Been watching a ton of gymnastics this pandemic.
Is this sig thing on?

We went to YouTube TV a couple of years ago and ditched Dish Network. Our Internet service is Verizon FIOS but they don't offer TV in our area. Our current Internet service is 1.5 gigabits/sec both ways (1500 megabits/sec) which is about as fast as anyone gets in the US. I rationalize that for business needs; I think it costs $110/mo.

We went from spending around $125/mo for Dish, to spending $45/mo for YouTube TV (not to be confused with plain old YouTube). But the price has been creeping up, and they are slowing bundling popular channels the same as a cable provider. It's at $65/mo now. On top of that, our go-to is Netflix, and occasionally I've done a free trial of stuff like ShowTime, or picked up a service like HBO Max for a month to watch a particular series we're interested in.

My wife's guilty pleasure is a handful of reality shows, for which we need the Bravo network, but if it weren't for that I'd be inclined to drop YouTube TV altogether. The news networks are nice-to-have, particularly during a crisis, but the quality of newstainment is in the toilet and I'd get by fine with the news feeds I get via Twitter. The only thing I'd actually miss from YouTube TV is BBC World News. Netflix is worth it at about $14/mo. I'm tempted by CBS all-access sometimes. All in all though I'd rather pay for premium fiber Internet service and live without the TV networks.

(03-06-2021, 09:19 PM)mordant Wrote: The news networks are nice-to-have, particularly during a crisis, but the quality of newstainment is in the toilet and I'd get by fine with the news feeds I get via Twitter. The only thing I'd actually miss from YouTube TV is BBC World News.  Netflix is worth it at about $14/mo. I'm tempted by CBS all-access sometimes. All in all though I'd rather pay for premium fiber Internet service and live without the TV networks.

TV news is crap. I subscribe to the digital version of three newspapers for $12 a month and get all the day's news delivered to my inbox (including free sources as well). Beyond that, Google news is great.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I subscribe to the NYT online for $1 per week.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.