Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My little project

My little project
(12-02-2020, 02:06 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 01:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 03:35 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Write on...  Not that I will ever read it.

It's not easy to "put yourself out there" to your friends and aquaintences with art, writing, photography, personal stuff, etc., it involves risk even if we have thick skins and say that it doesn't matter.  So why go through the extra effort of being an unsupporting dick?  It would have taken you less time to not tell us that you don't give a shit about Phaedrus and something that matters to him rather than the time it took you to actually type out that you don't give a shit about Phaedrus and something that matters to him.  Don't be an asshole.

I write 2 blogs where I put myself "out there".  I don't advertise it.  People find it on their own.

And note that while I said I won't read it (amateur writing is always boring crap) , I encouraged Phaedrus to "write on".   Because there is an audience out there.  It's just not me.

Did you ever get comments on your two blogs that people have found on their own (lolz) from someone saying "I won't read it."  If so, did you think it was something a total cunt would say?
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Cavebear

My little project
Rather than stay two chapters ahead in my writing, I went ahead and published the latest chapters I have finished writing.

Currently working on chapter eleven, the third perspective in a novel of ever shifting perspectives. I'm uncertain of how many perspectives there will be: I could do a total of sixteen if there are going to be eighty chapters and the perspectives change every five chapters. Or I could eventually repeat perspectives I have already created, which I think would be more prudent. Don't know yet.

Anywho, I hope to finish chapter eleven tonight.

My little project
Unless the whole concept is more or less mapped out you will start to run into contradictions. You will think of something brilliant, and then realize you made it implausible back on chapter two page three. Free-form on-going writing is fine and good on its own terms but it won't result in a coherent product the longer it goes on.

My little project
(12-04-2020, 02:38 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Unless the whole concept is more or less mapped out you will start to run into contradictions.  You will think of something brilliant, and then realize you made it implausible back on chapter two page three.  Free-form on-going writing is fine and good on its own terms but it won't result in a coherent product the longer it goes on.

Never had that problem before, and I've written three other complete novels.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Cavebear

My little project
(12-04-2020, 02:15 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 02:06 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 01:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: It's not easy to "put yourself out there" to your friends and aquaintences with art, writing, photography, personal stuff, etc., it involves risk even if we have thick skins and say that it doesn't matter.  So why go through the extra effort of being an unsupporting dick?  It would have taken you less time to not tell us that you don't give a shit about Phaedrus and something that matters to him rather than the time it took you to actually type out that you don't give a shit about Phaedrus and something that matters to him.  Don't be an asshole.

I write 2 blogs where I put myself "out there".  I don't advertise it.  People find it on their own.

And note that while I said I won't read it (amateur writing is always boring crap) , I encouraged Phaedrus to "write on".   Because there is an audience out there.  It's just not me.

Did you ever get comments on your two blogs that people have found on their own (lolz) from someone saying "I won't read it."  If so, did you think it was something a total cunt would say?

1. No, because they found it on their own and read it.
2. I would never call anyone a "cunt". It it is both insulting, sexist, and purposeless.
3. What part of "It's just not me" did you miss?
4. I said "write on", because it takes real work to write something worth reading. Practice at average writing can lead to good writing.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

My little project
(12-04-2020, 03:10 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 02:38 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Unless the whole concept is more or less mapped out you will start to run into contradictions.  You will think of something brilliant, and then realize you made it implausible back on chapter two page three.  Free-form on-going writing is fine and good on its own terms but it won't result in a coherent product the longer it goes on.

Never had that problem before, and I've written three other complete novels.

Any published? I have a half-dozen short stories in print on my shelf. And I think 5 were crap.

My little project
(12-05-2020, 05:33 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 02:15 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 02:06 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I write 2 blogs where I put myself "out there".  I don't advertise it.  People find it on their own.

1.  No, because they found it on their own and read it.
2.  I would never call anyone a "cunt".  It it is both insulting, sexist, and purposeless.
3.  What part of "It's just not me" did you miss?
4.  I said "write on", because it takes real work to write something worth reading.  Practice at average writing can lead to good writing.

They were rhetorical questions.  I live in an alternate universe where it's impolite to tell someone "I won't read it" when they post personal writings but no need to belabor the point.

My little project
(12-05-2020, 06:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 05:33 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 02:15 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Did you ever get comments on your two blogs that people have found on their own (lolz) from someone saying "I won't read it."  If so, did you think it was something a total cunt would say?

1.  No, because they found it on their own and read it.
2.  I would never call anyone a "cunt".  It it is both insulting, sexist, and purposeless.
3.  What part of "It's just not me" did you miss?
4.  I said "write on", because it takes real work to write something worth reading.  Practice at average writing can lead to good writing.

They were rhetorical questions.  I live in an alternate universe where it's impolite to tell someone "I won't read it" when they post personal writings but no need to belabor the point.

I sometimes spent time in a place where I read a lot of crap and some occasional good stuff and it was expected to be examined and criticized.

But you are right. I didn't need to carry that over to here. Everyone is a jerk sometimes.

My little project
(12-04-2020, 03:10 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Never had that problem before, and I've written three other complete novels.

Can I ask if you've had any of those three published, either as stand-alones or as
part of an anthology.  What sort of reception did they receive?  Were you pleased
with the critiques from your readers, or were they maybe discouraging rather than
helpful?

Ultimately, your readership are the ones who decide whether or not your works are
a success, as it's almost impossible to judge your own work from an objective
viewpoint.  For that reason alone, I'd like to see more people here taking the time to
read your novel as it progresses, and offering opinions and/or advice.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

My little project
(12-05-2020, 08:29 AM)SYZ Wrote: Can I ask if you've had any of those three published, either as stand-alones or as
part of an anthology.

I don't have any delusions of grandeur when it comes to my writing.

The first novel I e-published. It's still there on Amazon last I checked. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy. I finished the second book, never published it any way, though. I started the third book, but never finished it. One day, if I feel like it, I might go back and finish that trilogy properly.

The third book I wrote is also on Wattpad, but just under a variant spelling of my real name as well as under a different account.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Cavebear, SYZ

My little project
(12-05-2020, 01:54 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:29 AM)SYZ Wrote: Can I ask if you've had any of those three published, either as stand-alones or as
part of an anthology.

I don't have any delusions of grandeur when it comes to my writing.

The first novel I e-published. It's still there on Amazon last I checked. It was supposed to be the first of a trilogy. I finished the second book, never published it any way, though. I started the third book, but never finished it. One day, if I feel like it, I might go back and finish that trilogy properly.

The third book I wrote is also on Wattpad, but just under a variant spelling of my real name as well as under a different account.

If you like what you write, enjoy. That's all I ever did.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Phaedrus

My little project
Taking somewhat of a break from writing this weekend.

Will be back at it, soon, however.

My little project

That's good advice. I've written many scenes in my own novel that have yet to be linked together. I've even written the ending.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)