Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian theology implies the Jews deserved the Holocaust.

Christians claim that humans are undeserving of god's love. If this is the case, then the Jews, who do not consider Jesus to be a Messiah, were also undeserving of god's love, even when they were being thrown into gas chambers. But this is just a roundabout way of saying that those who do not believe in god, do not deserve god's help. Ergo, the Jews did not deserve god's help during the Holoaust. 

This is further evidenced by Jesus saying "he who does not believe in me is not worthy of me". This is why I cannot have a positive view of Christianity- even if the Christians do not believe in Hell specifically. Besides, no one tries to rationalize the Holocaust except believers in the Abrahamic faiths and Nazis.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Double
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

I would go with different route, namely that church actions were example that nazis later used:

- Synod of Elvira prohibited marriages between Jews and christians, nazis did the same ( Law for Protection of German Blood and German Honor, 1935)
- Synod of Clermont prohibited Jews from holding public offices, nazis did the same ( Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service, 1933)
- Fourth Council of Lateran ordered Jews (and Muslims) to wear special clothes, nazis did the same (decree from 1. IX. 1941)
- Synod in Wrocław ordered Jews to live in ghettos, nazis did the same (Heydrich order from 21.IX.1939)
[Examples taken from Raul Hilberg, The Destruction of European Jews, volume I, p. 7-9 of polish 2014 edition]

There is also issue of christian antisemitism and belief that Jews killed Jesus and thus are good target for persecution.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir, skyking

(09-12-2020, 02:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I would go with different route, namely that church actions were example that nazis later used:

- Synod of Elvira prohibited marriages between Jews and christians, nazis did the same ( Law for Protection of German Blood and German Honor, 1935)
- Synod of Clermont prohibited Jews from holding public offices, nazis did the same ( Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service, 1933)
- Fourth Council of Lateran ordered Jews (and Muslims) to wear special clothes, nazis did the same (decree from 1. IX. 1941)
- Synod in Wrocław ordered Jews to live in ghettos, nazis did the same (Heydrich order from 21.IX.1939)
[Examples taken from Raul Hilberg, The Destruction of European Jews, volume I, p. 7-9 of polish 2014 edition]

There is also issue of christian antisemitism and belief that Jews killed Jesus and thus are good target for persecution.

And another way they try to justify it: "god wants to preserve our free will because he loves us." So millions had to die because god loves us? That's also just a roundabout way of saying, it is necessary for evil to exist, because god wills it. In which case there is no distinguishing a good god from an evil one, and Christian morality falls apart.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking

You can leave God out of any of those things without changing the results. They're all contaminated with humans. There must be a final solution for that infestation.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Far too nuanced.

Churches have always worked by one simple rule:  "They are different.  Kill them."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Bcat, Gwaithmir

(09-12-2020, 02:57 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 02:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I would go with different route, namely that church actions were example that nazis later used:

And another way they try to justify it: "god wants to preserve our free will because he loves us." So millions had to die because god loves us? That's also just a roundabout way of saying, it is necessary for evil to exist, because god wills it. In which case there is no distinguishing a good god from an evil one, and Christian morality falls apart.

If morality is system of values and principles of conduct and if implication is that such values aren't held in hope of reward then I would say that there is no such thing as christian morality - only fearful obedience to tyrannical despot. But even if christian morality exists it still leave problem of (mythical) originator of it's rules being depicted in christians own holy book as genocidal tyrant. Every single christian that does not condemn Yahu-Wahu* is not fit to speak of morality, just as nazis or bolsheviks.

*Comic writer Larry Gonick, in his Cartoon History of the Universe, poked fun at the controversy by suggesting the proper name of God was "Yahu-Wahu", then spelling it "Yahuwah" throughout the rest of the series. [https://atheism.wikia.org/wiki/YHWH]
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, skyking

Evangelical "thinking" on this topic is that while no one is entitled to god's love and forgiveness, it is, thanks to god's magnanimous mercy, freely available to all who will give their fealty to god as the evangelicals understand him. So there's no real barrier to Jews or anyone else obtaining god's favor. Just stubborn resistance to the Real Truth.

Thus if Jews don't have god's favor it's because they choose not to. In other words, it's a personal problem.

This is not in principle specifically anti-semitic so much as it's generally anti-non-evangelical. The Jews simply make an easy target because of their unusual social and cultural cohesion, giving them a more concrete identity as "the Other", one that transcends Judaism as a religion and extends to Jewishness as a sociocultural (and to an extent, racial) identity.

I point all this out to illustrate that 99 out of 100 evangelicals will be given zero pause by the notion that their understanding of god's "love" is self centered hubris. They would in fact laugh at the assertion. They are immune to it.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist