Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the World news section have too many pinned threads?

Pretty much as the title says really. i get the idea of pinned stuff and why you'd pin it if it's constantly being used etc, but i think we have 11 threads up there, some of which are mainly updated by not many posters - is it worth leaving those in the bottom regular thread area and leave the more "main news" items up top?

Might just be me, but it looks a bit "messy" because of how much stuff is pinned. 

Just a thought, not saying it has to be done, just thought i'd mention it Smile

Hmmm... Good question. I went ahead and took a few threads off sticky that had smaller page counts than others. @Deesse23 @SYZ and @Mathilda this included threads that you started. Hope this is okay, but it does look cleaner now.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • OakTree500, SYZ

(09-11-2020, 09:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Pretty much as the title says really. i get the idea of pinned stuff and why you'd pin it if it's constantly being used etc, but i think we have 11 threads up there, some of which are mainly updated by not many posters - is it worth leaving those in the bottom regular thread area and leave the more "main news" items up top?

Might just be me, but it looks a bit "messy" because of how much stuff is pinned. 

Exactly what do you mean by a "pinned" thread?
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

I don't like when that section is all USA centric.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 5 users Like Dom's post:
  • Aliza, OakTree500, Deesse23, Bcat, RobbyPants

(09-11-2020, 02:37 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 09:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Pretty much as the title says really. i get the idea of pinned stuff and why you'd pin it if it's constantly being used etc, but i think we have 11 threads up there, some of which are mainly updated by not many posters - is it worth leaving those in the bottom regular thread area and leave the more "main news" items up top?

Exactly what do you mean by a "pinned" thread?

When you navigate to a thread from the home page, you reach a subforum, such as World News, Politics and Current Events. From there, you see a list of possible threads to click. The top portion are divided from the lower portion; they've been stickied or pinned to stay at the top. This is usually done to help users quickly find very frequently accessed threads, or thread that the moderators felt were important.
  • OakTree500, Gwaithmir

(09-11-2020, 02:47 PM)Dom Wrote: I don't like when that section is all USA centric.

I hear ya. I noticed that trend too. I'm okay either way, but it did look a little confusing.
  • OakTree500, Bcat

It's supposed to be WORLD news, not US news. Than maybe it needs to be split.

(09-11-2020, 02:25 PM)Aliza Wrote: Hmmm... Good question. I went ahead and took a few threads off sticky that had smaller page counts than others. @Deesse23 @SYZ and @Mathilda this included threads that you started. Hope this is okay, but it does look cleaner now.

That looks better haha. sorry for being picky it just looked messy in terms of aesthetic - i was think if like new people came to the board and saw it, it'd be like "holy fuck" rather than just the standard few threads that are relevant at the top.

Feel free to change if it's not cool or anything Smile

(09-11-2020, 02:53 PM)Dom Wrote: It's supposed to be WORLD news, not US news. Than maybe it needs to be split.

to be fair the larger ammount of users here are from the US so it's only natural in that respect. Other wise it'll be US news and then a sub board for "other" news haha.

(09-11-2020, 02:53 PM)Dom Wrote: It's supposed to be WORLD news, not US news. Than maybe it needs to be split.

Oooh! Maybe we can have a "Bitching about Trump" subforum. That might even attract opposing viewpoints from outside.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • OakTree500, Dom, Deesse23

Splitting off non-US threads to a separate section might actually harm them, if, as seems to be the case from what you say, they're less trafficked. If some spillover occurs as a result of lumping them together, that may be a good thing. I guess it depends on whether those threads can stand on their own, and that may be something you'll just have to try to see. It's possible it could go the other direction as well, if people turned off by the US-centric threads spend more time in the new section because there's less competition. I'm glad I'm not an admin.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Aliza, Dom

(09-11-2020, 03:10 PM)Dānu Wrote: Splitting off non-US threads to a separate section might actually harm them, if, as seems to be the case from what you say, they're less trafficked.  If some spillover occurs as a result of lumping them together, that may be a good thing.  I guess it depends on whether those threads can stand on their own, and that may be something you'll just have to try to see.  It's possible it could go the other direction as well, if people turned off by the US-centric threads spend more time in the new section because there's less competition.  I'm glad I'm not an admin.

Granted, Trump and US affairs are totally linked at this point, but I do find it distracting to the topic of world news when Trump dominates everything. I want to read intellectual posts about the world and what little is left of US news that isn't connected to Trump, and I want to allow myself to foam at the mouth and bitch about Trump.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dānu, OakTree500, Deesse23, Dom, Tres Leches

Quote:Granted, Trump and US affairs are totally linked at this point, but I do find it distracting to the topic of world news when Trump dominates everything.

Er, you have a criminal maniac with his finger on the nuclear button and a climate terrorist who insists on poisoning the air and water.  These are not problems which are confined to national borders.  The rest of the world should be shitting in its pants everyday that he is in office.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Aliza

(09-11-2020, 03:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Granted, Trump and US affairs are totally linked at this point, but I do find it distracting to the topic of world news when Trump dominates everything.

Er, you have a criminal maniac with his finger on the nuclear button and a climate terrorist who insists on poisoning the air and water.  These are not problems which are confined to national borders.  The rest of the world should be shitting in its pants everyday that he is in office.

Granted, but that doesn't mean it should be allowed to crowd out everything else.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

(09-11-2020, 03:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 03:10 PM)Dānu Wrote: Splitting off non-US threads to a separate section might actually harm them, if, as seems to be the case from what you say, they're less trafficked.  If some spillover occurs as a result of lumping them together, that may be a good thing.  I guess it depends on whether those threads can stand on their own, and that may be something you'll just have to try to see.  It's possible it could go the other direction as well, if people turned off by the US-centric threads spend more time in the new section because there's less competition.  I'm glad I'm not an admin.

Granted, Trump and US affairs are totally linked at this point, but I do find it distracting to the topic of world news when Trump dominates everything. I want to read intellectual posts about the world and what little is left of US news that isn't connected to Trump, and I want to allow myself to foam at the mouth and bitch about Trump.

There is a wealth of US threads in there because, at this time, the US is the craziest IMO. But, also, the US is always US centric on news, you can't even get international news in the main stream news at all. I think that is part of why someone like trump can even exist, because people are totally ignorant of what is happening in the rest of the world. 

I invited Dessee and Szuchow on purpose to write about politics in their countries, and would like to see Canada and Australia and other country specific threads if we can get existing members to update them.

No, they won't be as busy as the US, but at least we will be able to understand how things are going in the rest of the world. Now that these threads are unpinned, they will simply disappear.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, skyking, Kim