Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California is submerged in a sea of smoke and fire

(09-13-2020, 02:32 AM)c172 Wrote: Might he wear a mask? I mean, COVID isn't uncomfortable until you have it, but the air's a bit...odd.

I doubt it. He can't "own the libs" with a mask on. If the air quality is still bad, it would be funny to see him hack up a lung during his photo op, though.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • SYZ, Fireball

(09-13-2020, 04:00 AM)Bcat Wrote: The AQI has now moved from the Unhealthy to the Very Unhealthy level.  Now one level below Hazardous.

I found a map showing current global AQIs.  I note several US regions are now "hazardous".  Stay safe guys.

World's Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index

Sad
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, GenesisNemesis

(09-12-2020, 01:08 PM)Mark Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 01:06 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Fuck QAnon, fuck Trump, fuck Trump supporters. 
Preferably with large uncomfortable things.

Cactus.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(09-13-2020, 05:24 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 04:00 AM)Bcat Wrote: The AQI has now moved from the Unhealthy to the Very Unhealthy level.  Now one level below Hazardous.

I found a map showing current global AQIs.  I note several US regions are now "hazardous".  Stay safe guys.

World's Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index

Sad

I get a news feed from the NY Times on my home page, Syz.  I thought of you when this popped up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/world...burns.html

Quote:Australia’s Witnesses to Fire’s Fury Are Desperate to Avoid a Sequel

Eight months after blazes devastated a wide swath of Australia, the most battered communities are trying to burn their way to safety as another fire season approaches.

Wildfires are nature's way of cleaning out the forests and Nature gives less than a fuck that humans choose to live in them.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Tres Leches, SYZ

This is the first day I've noticed appreciable amounts of smoke haze in the sky. It was probably there before but was to overcast. Guessing this is more colorado than cali.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

And still there are "climate-change" deniers. The world gets warmer, there are hotter places, wetter places, and drier places. Last yer here, it was the worst drought and this year has seldom seen a day without rain. The number of hurricanes may require Ancient Greek letters because are running out of pre-established assigned English names.

I am getting weeds that never grew this far north before. And pests are here to stay that couldn't survive before.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Tres Leches

(Channeling Trump) "Well just stop breathing for a few days and you will safe from the China-Smoke. I mean, its hugely all coming from those China factories stealing our technology and burning trees (you know smoke comes from burning bamboo, right?) and it will all be over once we rake the forests and make $million currency of it and I'm the one who makes the currency!"

Well, I am now in the "prepare to evacuate" zone. Winds are getting strong and the Almeda fire will be sending sparks all over. They don't know what all will ignite, so the prep zone is big.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 5 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, Deesse23, Mark

(09-14-2020, 10:49 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, I am now in the "prepare to evacuate" zone. Winds are getting strong and the Almeda fire will be sending sparks all over. They don't know what all will ignite, so the prep zone is big.

I am reading this from Maryland USA. No smoke worth noticing here (yet). I'm fortunate, I know. But I watch the news and am so very saddened for all the loss of people, wildlife, houses full of memories, and trees. May all in the paths of the fires reach safety if threatened...

I see in Portland(?) some jackass has been throwing Molotov cocktails. Set a fire, was arrested and released, went and set 6 more fires. He's on a psychiatric evaluation hold, now.  Facepalm
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Cavebear, Tres Leches, Mark

(09-14-2020, 11:09 PM)Fireball Wrote: I see in Portland(?) some jackass has been throwing Molotov cocktails. Set a fire, was arrested and released, went and set 6 more fires. He's on a psychiatric evaluation hold, now.  Facepalm

He would have to be psychotic...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball, Tres Leches

(09-14-2020, 11:23 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 11:09 PM)Fireball Wrote: I see in Portland(?) some jackass has been throwing Molotov cocktails. Set a fire, was arrested and released, went and set 6 more fires. He's on a psychiatric evaluation hold, now.  Facepalm

Indeed. My wife and I were discussing it earlier vis-à-vis defunding the police, and this is one of those things that kind of fall into getting psychiatric help for people who do this sort of crazy, though it really is a crime. My take is that he should have been remanded for psychiatric evaluation on the first arrest. My wife pointed out that the police may be trying to keep people out of custody because of Covid, and I can see her point. That doesn't get less fires started, though. FWIW, my nick is "Fireball" because I like fire. The difference is that I can enjoy it in a fire pit or fireplace. Pyrophilia is one thing, but I have no compulsion for pyromania.  Thumbsdown
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Cavebear

(09-14-2020, 11:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 11:23 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Indeed. My wife and I were discussing it earlier vis-à-vis defunding the police, and this is one of those things that kind of fall into getting psychiatric help for people who do this sort of crazy, though it really is a crime. My take is that he should have been remanded for psychiatric evaluation on the first arrest. My wife pointed out that the police may be trying to keep people out of custody because of Covid, and I can see her point. That doesn't get less fires started, though. FWIW, my nick is "Fireball" because I like fire. The difference is that I can enjoy it in a fire pit or fireplace. Pyrophilia is one thing, but I have no compulsion for pyromania.  Thumbsdown

I agree. You don't want a Dr to do construction work and you don't want construction worker to do surgery. It is time to get specialized skills funded where they are needed.
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, Mark

(09-14-2020, 05:08 PM)Cavebear Wrote: And still there are "climate-change" deniers.  The world gets warmer, there are hotter places, wetter places, and drier places.   Last yer here, it was the worst drought and this year has seldom seen a day without rain.   The number of hurricanes may require Ancient Greek letters because are running out of pre-established assigned English names.  

I am getting weeds that never grew this far north before.  And pests are here to stay that couldn't survive before.

Two things these days make my eyes glaze over with boredom in a New York minute: anything that guy in the White House says and anything a climate change denialist says. The deniers are either corporations who want to protect their wealth or are fools without critical thinking skills. Both are getting left behind with the reality of climate change.

Even in crazy Florida they avoid climate change denial because they are also seeing it happen in real life. In Miami Beach there is sunny day flooding - during particularly high tides the urban streets flood because the sea level is rising. Try driving through streets flooded with seawater and see what it does to your car. They're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on water pumps to keep the sea out - because they know climate change is real.

When insurance companies decide they won't insure properties in climate change hot zones - as is already happening - the denialists can drone on and on all they want about how they don't "believe" it's real, it doesn't really matter. If they don't get with the program, they'll get left behind.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 3 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23

(09-15-2020, 12:24 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 05:08 PM)Cavebear Wrote: And still there are "climate-change" deniers.  The world gets warmer, there are hotter places, wetter places, and drier places.   Last yer here, it was the worst drought and this year has seldom seen a day without rain.   The number of hurricanes may require Ancient Greek letters because are running out of pre-established assigned English names.  

I am getting weeds that never grew this far north before.  And pests are here to stay that couldn't survive before.

Two things these days make my eyes glaze over with boredom in a New York minute: anything that guy in the White House says and anything a climate change denialist says. The deniers are either corporations who want to protect their wealth or are fools without critical thinking skills. Both are getting left behind with the reality of climate change.

Even in crazy Florida they avoid climate change denial because they are also seeing it happen in real life. In Miami Beach there is sunny day flooding - during particularly high tides the urban streets flood because the sea level is rising. Try driving through streets flooded with seawater and see what it does to your car. They're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on water pumps to keep the sea out - because they know climate change is real.

When insurance companies decide they won't insure properties in climate change hot zones - as is already happening - the denialists can drone on and on all they want about how they don't "believe" it's real, it doesn't really matter. If they don't get with the program, they'll get left behind.

-Teresa

The Government is currently subsidizing coastal home insurance, If it wasn't, the insurance companies would be Long Gone!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Tres Leches

I've been working out in it most of the day, painting the 20 ton trailer.
Of course I was equipped for both paint hydrocarbons and smoke/particulates with one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-630...B007JZ1MK6

Equipped with these

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-630...B007JZ1MK6

With particulate filters included.
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • Tres Leches, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(09-14-2020, 04:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I get a news feed from the NY Times on my home page, Syz.  I thought of you when this popped up...

Cheers mate.     Smile

The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) index has been at negative IOD values for three of the last four weeks.
La Niña and the negative IOD will increase the likelihood of above average spring and summer rainfall
across much of south-eastern Australia.

[Image: rain.forecast.median.national.season1.20200910.hr.png]

[Image: rain.forecast.median.national.season2.20200910.hr.png]

This forecast of increased rainfall is both a blessing and a curse.  A wetter forest understory and more
damp soils, but a major increase in the growth of understory and grasslands.

This is a typically Australian forest with understory:
[Image: 42408_2019_25_Fig2_HTML.png]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Mark

(09-15-2020, 12:07 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 04:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I get a news feed from the NY Times on my home page, Syz.  I thought of you when this popped up...

Cheers mate.     Smile

The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) index has been at negative IOD values for three of the last four weeks.
La Niña and the negative IOD will increase the likelihood of above average spring and summer rainfall
across much of south-eastern Australia.

[Image: rain.forecast.median.national.season1.20200910.hr.png]

[Image: rain.forecast.median.national.season2.20200910.hr.png]

This forecast of increased rainfall is both a blessing and a curse.  A wetter forest understory and more
damp soils, but a major increase in the growth of understory and grasslands.

This is a typically Australian forest with understory:
[Image: 42408_2019_25_Fig2_HTML.png]

Trump would say that you guys have a lot of forest raking to do.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Little Lunch

Remember this?

[Image: finns-troll-trump-raking-leaves-wildfire...-thumb.jpg]

The Finns had a lot of fun trolling our Idiot.
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, mordant, Mark, Little Lunch

Ha.  Karma is a bitch, asshole!

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/climate...-his-home/

Quote:Climate denier blames environmentalists after Oregon wildfire burns down his home

One of the Oregon lawmakers who staged two walkouts to block Democrats from passing a climate change bill has lost his home to wildfire linked by scientists to climate change.

Fuck you.  You should have been in it.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Mark, Old Man Marsh

Over 2300 homes destroyed so far by the Almeda fire, and it's getting so smoky that 2 minutes outside made me cough and sneeze for hours. And I was wearing a mask.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, Bcat, Deesse23