Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
146th Kentucky Derby

146th Kentucky Derby
https://twitter.com/lasvegasbetting/stat...1416116226

Boy, this virus has really messed things up. I knew the KD was to be postponed, but I kind of forgot about it until today. Post time at 7:01E. The KD this year is second of three. Tiz the Law won Belmont. Gate 17 today. Preakness is in October. No spectators for the KD, obviously.

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/09/05/...-schedule/
Is this sig thing on?

146th Kentucky Derby
I can't get with how the horses are treated. Entertainment is no excuse to treat an animal that way.

Sorry to set that tone for your thread but I think that needed to be said.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I can't get with how the horses are treated. Entertainment is no excuse to treat an animal that way.

They like to run. They're bred to run. What is "treated that way" ?
Test

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I can't get with how the horses are treated. Entertainment is no excuse to treat an animal that way.

https://horseracingsense.com/are-racehor...sed-facts/
On hiatus.
  • SYZ

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

"Some racehorses are abused and some pampered. In the horse racing world, horses are treated differently based on their earnings potential. Also, training methods affect horse treatment."

Those horses today are worth millions of dollars. 
They are pampered.
Test

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: They like to run. They're bred to run. What is "treated that way" ?

"Some racehorses are abused and some pampered. In the horse racing world, horses are treated differently based on their earnings potential. Also, training methods affect horse treatment."

They are pampered.

Read further into the article before closing the window.

Quote:Racehorses are given performance-enhancing drugs.
Horses are often administered a cocktail of drugs before a race. The drugs are too help the horses run better in a race. But they also have long and short term adverse effects on horses. The Jockey Club, which is a leading thoroughbred organization, agrees.

They sent out a warning to the thoroughbred racing world warning that drug use could lead to the death of the horse racing industry.

The most popular drug given to racehorses is Lasix. Lasix is a bleeder medication administered to prevent exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage.

Lasix is given to racehorses even when not necessary.
When horses run pressure is built up by air entering the lungs leading to increased pressure in the blood vessel. Because of the increased pressure, the blood breaks through its walls. Once the barrier is compromised, blood enters the lungs and results in blood seeping from the horses’ nostrils.

Repeated occurrences of bleeding can decrease lung capacity, cause inflammation, and in rare cases be terminal. It’s estimated that 90 percent of racehorses experience some degree of bleeding, although not all results in bleeding from the nose.

A side effect of Lasix is the loss of fluids. Lasix causes a horse to pee a lot. Trainers believe this makes a horse lighter and therefore faster, so they give Lasix to horses that don’t need the medication.

“Bute” is used to mask pain in injured racehorses.
Phenylbutazone, aka “Bute” is a drug commonly used with racehorses. Bute is a corticosteroid. It’s used in the horse racing industry to treat swelling and inflammation in joints. This drug is often abused by trainers.

It’s typically injected into the joints of a horse. Bute can provide health benefits when used correctly. Trainers or vets will inject a horse shortly before a race to mask pain and reduce inflammation. Prolong use of bute weakens, bone, tendons, and muscles.

“Bute” doesn’t provide a horse the ability to run faster than it could naturally, but it does allow an injured horse to race. A horse with no pain will run as if it is not damaged.

Thyroxine is often abused by racehorse trainers.
Racing on an injured limb leads to more severe issues, such as a fatal injury. Rest is the proper treatment for lameness, but this means feeding a horse that’s not earning money. The use of bute allows an injured horse to race.

Thyroxine is a thyroid medication that increases metabolism. It is designed to treat hypothyroidism a condition in which a horses’ thyroid does not function properly.

A horse that suffers from hypothyroidism may display a fatty, cresty neck, resistance to losing weight, lethargy and a poor coat. Thyroxine gives the thyroid a boost to kick up a horses metabolism

The occurrence of hypothyroidism is rare in horses; however, the drug is frequently administered to horses. Trainers believe, and rightfully so, a higher metabolism leads to better fitness, more muscle mass, strength, and speed.

No one is sure of the long term effects of giving Thyroxine to horses that don’t have hypothyroidism. This drug is also abused by horse trainers.

How many horses die racing each year in the United States?
Santa Anita racetrack had a rash of deaths recently, forty died there in a little over a year. This has prompted people to look at how racehorses treated, but it made me wonder how often racehorses die during a race.

The Jockey Club provided that there were 441 fatal breakdowns in 2019. That translated to 1.53 fatalities per 1000 racing starts. This is the lowest death per start rate since the numbers have been reported.

Each yeat The Jockey Club releases data on racehorse injuries and deaths in the Equine Injury Database. The numbers are compiled from reporting tracks across the nation. To view, the most recent data chart click here.

PETA provides that 24 racehorses suffer fatal breakdowns each week. The disparity in the two groups’ numbers is unclear. To learn about horse abuse of horses with helpful links for reporting click here.
On hiatus.
  • SYZ

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: [quote="Thumpalumpacus" pid='243661' dateline='1599355154']

They are pampered.

Quote:Read further into the article before closing the window.

My mother breeds thoroughbreds in San Diego. 
You're preaching is lost on me. I know how our animals are treated. 
In most places, drugs are forbidden and tested for by track vets.
The article is totally 100 % biased, exaggerating and looking at the bad side.
Preaching from PETA is lost on me. 
Indicting an entire industry because some people don't like it, is stupid.
Test

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: [quote="Thumpalumpacus" pid='243661' dateline='1599355154']

They are pampered.

The article is totally 100 % biased.

You can read up on it, or not. I'm not "preaching" at you, though. I'm answering a question you yourself asked.

If you don't like the answer, that's not my problem. You've got google at your fingertips. Perhaps your mother is a fine owner, but there are enough not-fine owners that the entire business makes me queasy.

I've offered an opinion, and given some support. There's more to be found, for anyone curious.
On hiatus.

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "Some racehorses are abused and some pampered. In the horse racing world, horses are treated differently based on their earnings potential. Also, training methods affect horse treatment."

They are pampered.

You can read up on it, or not. I'm not "preaching" at you, though. I'm answering a question you yourself asked.

If you don't like the answer, that's not my problem. You've got google at your fingertips. Perhaps your mother is a fine owner, but there are enough not-fine owners that the entire business makes me queasy.

I've offered an opinion, and given some support. There's more to be found, for anyone curious.

I don't need to "read up" on the family business. 
The article is "preaching" and presented only one biased side. 
It's not "the answer". 
You saw no animals mistreated today. 
What make you "queasy" is not important to an entire industry.
Test

146th Kentucky Derby
(09-06-2020, 01:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 01:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: My mother breeds thoroughbreds in San Diego. 

I don't need to "read up" on the family business. 
The article is "preaching" and presented only one biased side. 
It's not "the answer". 
You saw no animals mistreated today. 
What make you "queasy" is not important to an entire industry.

Suit yourself.
On hiatus.

146th Kentucky Derby
As an animal over, I'm disgusted with the way horses are treated here in Australia all in the
name of mega-dollars for rich owners and trainers, in flats, jumps, and harness.  I have no
idea about the American racing industry, but I'd be guessing it's similar to Australia.

Racing as a two-year-old puts the horse at particular risk of injury because at this age the skeletal
system of these animals is still immature and not ready for the hard training and physical stress
of the racing world. Regardless, the lure of the very high stakes for the two-year-old races in Australia
means many owners push trainers to have their expensive animals compete.

The feeding of high concentrate diets—grains—fed during training rather than extended grazing,
often leads to gastric ulcers. A study of racehorses at Randwick in NSW found that 89% had
stomach ulcers, and many of the horses had deep, bleeding ulcers within 8 weeks of the
commencement of their training.

The exertion of the races leads a large proportion of horses  to bleed into their lungs and windpipe
called Exercise-Induced Pulmonary Haemorrhage.  A study carried out by the University of Melbourne
found that 50% of race horses had blood in the windpipe, and 90% had blood deeper in the lungs.

[Image: 840-jumps-racing-death.jpg]

Last year, 122 horses died or were killed on Australian race tracks.

Many failed or older racehorses will be destined for slaughter, and many go to local knackeries, to
to be used for pet meat, for example—or be purchased for slaughter at our two horse abattoirs.
Over 25,000 failed horses per year are killed in this way in Australia.  Approximately 2,000 tonnes
of horse meat is exported from Australia for human consumption in Japan and Europe annually.

—My opinion is that horse racing, in all forms, should be phased out completely, say over a 10-year
period.  It's a barbaric, inhumane, cruel "sport" that cares not one iota for the health or ultimate fate
of the animals.

PS:  Public records of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission show the home of the Kentucky Derby
has lost 43 thoroughbreds to racing injuries since 2016,  a 2.42 per 1,000-start average that
was 50 percent higher than the national average during the same three-year span.
Louisville Courier Journal, 27 March 2019.

Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus