Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unable to connect

Unable to connect
I'm getting a lot of :

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at atheistdiscussion.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Absolutely no issues elsewhere in the webosphere.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • SYZ

Unable to connect
No problem here.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Unable to connect
I've only had that problem on rare occasions in the last couple of weeks.  Before that, it was every day.

I did absolutely nothing to fix it.

I blame Trump.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Aliza

Unable to connect
When I upgraded downgraded from Win7 to Win 10 I started getting this issue. One that has been reported by many, but only experienced by me in Win10. Since dumping Windows in general, in favor of Ubuntu Linux, the problem has gone away again. I constantly fought with Win10 attempting to run software that ran flawlessly in Win7. Most of those Windows apps run flawlessly in Linux on the WINE layer, even when WINE is set to Win10. Go figure.

I've maintained my Win10 as a dual boot for gaming, though I will likely move that to a Win7 install on a virtual machine.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bucky Ball, M.Linoge

Unable to connect
Had Win1010 for years, no problems.

Unable to connect
(09-03-2020, 09:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I've only had that problem on rare occasions in the last couple of weeks.  Before that, it was every day.

I did absolutely nothing to fix it.

I blame Trump.

Yes, this is a Trump issue. Girl_yes2  

I had a mysterious connection issue last night that resolved itself after a short while. I'm not using Firefox, but I do recall people using Firefox had had this issue awhile back.

Unable to connect
I haven't had any problems here. Win10, Chrome browser.
On hiatus.

Unable to connect
I hate Windows 10.
Test

Unable to connect
(09-04-2020, 02:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I hate Windows 10.

I'm not a fan. I'm an XP diehard.
On hiatus.

Unable to connect
(09-04-2020, 03:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I detested Win 10 at first but after installing Start 10 by Stardock and setting it to an XP style interface I have no problems with it.

No connection problems here (UK) on Win 10 / Opera, Android / Opera, Amazon Fire / Opera.

Unable to connect
The interface of Windows 10 isn't a problem for me, it's the performance. The window manager sucks and the file explorer is near useless half the time.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Aliza

Unable to connect
I had some trouble with the text a while back. No problems since.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra

Unable to connect
I intermittently have problems, but it's been better over the last few months than it was before that. I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with Windows 10 or Firefox, but we've had this discussion before, so I'll simply point out that it is site-specific, and if there is a site-specific problem when used in conjunction with specific client software, then the site manager has not properly configured the site software as other managers of similar sites have done (or it may be a problem with the host service being used, but that's rare).
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

Unable to connect
(09-04-2020, 08:10 AM)Finite Monkeys Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 03:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I detested Win 10 at first but after installing Start 10 by Stardock and setting it to an XP style interface I have no problems with it.

No connection problems here (UK) on Win 10 / Opera, Android / Opera, Amazon Fire / Opera.
I must have the one machine on the planet that runs Win1010 with no problems.

Unable to connect
(09-03-2020, 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote: I'm getting a lot of :

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at atheistdiscussion.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Absolutely no issues elsewhere in the webosphere.

Yes mate... a similar sort of connection problem's been hitting me for months.        Angry

See my earlier posting:  Major server slowdown.....?

As time passes, this has been getting increasingly worse for me with AD.  I visit a couple of dozen
other sites across the globe every day, and no other servers give me this problem—which to me
indicates a specific problem with AD's server.  I've asked admin to have a look at this several times,
but the only responses I've been getting are "no problems for me here in..." which does nothing to
help me of course!

Is there any chance that our admin can speak with the server techs to sort this out? Pretty please?

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this; oftentimes I have to refresh the page numerous times,
12 or 15 times or even 20 times in order to read a thread, post a comment, or even review my own
comments before posting.  Sometimes it can take me 4 or 5 minutes to preview and post one comment.  
I guess nobody's noted my posting rate decreasing over the past few weeks (and why would they?) but
I've noted in the past other members complaining about non-connection and/or slow connection speeds.

Hissyfit
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist

Unable to connect
(09-04-2020, 02:03 PM)Dānu Wrote: ... I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with Windows 10 or Firefox, but we've had this discussion before, so I'll simply point out that it is site-specific, and if there is a site-specific problem when used in conjunction with specific client software, then the site manager has not properly configured the site software as other managers of similar sites have done (or it may be a problem with the host service being used, but that's rare).

Agreed.  At any rate, one's OS or browser can't—under normal circumstances—affect connection
issues or down/up speed.  The user's ISP of course can affect the connection speed, and some
ISPs throttle bandwidth due to overloading at some peak times (mine doesn't).  I have FTTN, which
is only 200m from my home, and with a 50/20 speed.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Unable to connect
(09-04-2020, 02:03 PM)Dānu Wrote: I intermittently have problems, but it's been better over the last few months than it was before that.  I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with Windows 10 or Firefox, but we've had this discussion before, so I'll simply point out that it is site-specific, and if there is a site-specific problem when used in conjunction with specific client software, then the site manager has not properly configured the site software as other managers of similar sites have done (or it may be a problem with the host service being used, but that's rare).

I tend to agree if only because of the sporadic nature of the problem here and the total lack of a problem anywhere else I visit.  That's the extent of my technical expertise, however.  If left to me to fix it I'd have to sacrifice a goat or something and hope for the best.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, Chas