Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baseball

Baseball
So I wait 5 months for baseball to resume and they are in a goddamn rain delay in the top of the 6th inning.

Goddamn it.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

Baseball
It's baseball. You're supposed to nap between pitches, what's your hurry?
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Dancefortwo, Cavebear, Bucky Ball

Baseball
Naps are for the afternoon.

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 02:17 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Naps are for the afternoon.

Pretty sure that seventh-inning-stretch thing was about folks waking up ... or at least it serves that purpose!
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 02:17 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Naps are for the afternoon.

Min, I didn't know you were a baseball fan.  Somehow I don't picture you having the patience to watch a baseball game.  I'd think you'd be cursing out the umpire most of the time - and stuff like that.  But I guess you never know about people.    Dunno
                                                         T4618

Baseball
Hey, I was Chief Umpire for our Little League for 5 years. 

But baseball is great.  You can play around on the computer, look up when the announcer says "here's the pitch" see if anything happens and then go back to what you were doing until the next pitch.  Very time efficient!

Hockey is tougher for that.
  • Dancefortwo

Baseball
I went to a couple of Giants games way back when. Both were against the Dodgers, Garvey on first and Guerrero in center field (church group, funny enough, took me there).

Someone still had to nudge me for the stretch. The stadium (Candlestick) was more interesting than either of the games.
On hiatus.

Baseball
I got to games in San Diego, Phiily, Cincinnati, Boston, Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, Ebbets Field ( when I was about 6 ) and almost got to Camden Yards but the Orioles were on the road when we arrived.
  • Thumpalumpacus

Baseball
LETS GO PHILLIES!

Love me some baseball - Im from the UK so I don't really get to watch it all that much, but Phillies are my team and I rock a phillies cap when possible Smile
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 09:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: LETS GO PHILLIES!

Love me some baseball - Im from the UK so I don't really get to watch it all that much, but Phillies are my team and I rock a phillies cap when possible.

That's interesting.  For over twenty-five years I have lived about ten miles from the stadium where the Phillies play, and have never watched a full game on TV, let alone in person.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • OakTree500

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 09:54 AM)Alan V Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 09:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: LETS GO PHILLIES!

Love me some baseball - Im from the UK so I don't really get to watch it all that much, but Phillies are my team and I rock a phillies cap when possible.

That's interesting.  For over twenty-five years I have lived about ten miles from the stadium where the Phillies play, and have never watched a full game on TV, let alone in person.

I havent watched a game in a long time, but Phillies are my team all day. When you're able to, hit the stadium and sink a beer for me! It's unlikely I'll be there any time soon  Dunno
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V

Baseball
I am still trying to get the rules of Baseball, does not seem to me the easiest game to play, though I am always amazed by how the game can be loved by other countries, such as Japan, Cuba etc etc.
I prefer Football...
Anyway, once I heard a interesting explanation by my prother in law on the 3 major US sports: baseball --> farming, Football industrial manufactring and basket service sector, and I find it fairly understandable
The following 2 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

Baseball
Last live baseball game I went to was somewhere in Japan, Kanto Plain area IIRC. They used to hire gaijin to hit home runs. Now I hear the players have muscled up. They still went nuts over Mark McGwire.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Baseball
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/in-defi...lb-return/

Quote:In defiance of Trump, every player took a knee at MLB return

President Donald Trump has long complained about players taking a knee before professional sporting events to protest police brutality.
But as Major League Baseball returned on Thursday night, every single player took a knee.
The protesters were started by former San Francisco 49’ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2016.
Before the game, “BLM” was painted on the pitcher’s mound to show support for Black Lives Matter.

Quote:The first pitch was thrown out by Dr. Tony Fauci, 79, whose pitch was not a strike.

Not only was it not a strike it was ample proof that he made the right decision to go into medicine and not baseball.

[Image: Take-a-Knee.png]

Baseball
'Stros win the World Series in 6. I was happy, considering. Too bad the Padres couldn't be there. Next year? Next decade, at least? I dunno. I should check them out a bit next year. It's been a while Petco Park seemed pleasant. Maybe I can have a Hodad's burger. The tourists seem to love that place. The locals seem indifferent, at best (kind of like In-n-Out, but not fast food?).

I do enjoy fantasy sports in the big four American sports, and had a Yahoo! league going, but I was kind of non-participatory. Might need to ramp it up a bit next season. Maybe that's its own thread, even. Anybody do fantasy leagues?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Baseball
I participated in one run by the admin of AF for a year. It was fun. He had a bunch of Google spreadsheets for tracking it. I've got them around here somewhere, and his permission to use them, though they were for football.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Baseball
Today's the day. Here's a link to what changes to look for, including the "pitch clock". That part of it should be interesting. Interesting good or interesting bad, not sure yet, but I am intrigued.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports...508176002/
Is this sig thing on?

Baseball
(03-30-2023, 06:35 PM)c172 Wrote: Today's the day. Here's a link to what changes to look for, including the "pitch clock". That part of it should be interesting. Interesting good or interesting bad, not sure yet, but I am intrigued.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports...508176002/

It seems to work to cut game times down. They're averaging 2.5 hours per game. I'm not sure what I feel about the balk rules.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Baseball
I like the new anti-shift rule. 

The bases being three inches bigger is okay but then they should get rid of the oven mitts that these guys wear to protect their hands.  If you don't want to hurt your hands, slide feet first.

The pitch-clock rules seem terribly over-engineered and the limitations on throws to first are simply stupid.

Do what they do in the NBA.  You have 24 seconds to shoot.  If you want to waste time throwing to first, go ahead.... but the clock does not reset.

Baseball
Astros lost 3-2. Fuck this shit I'm out.

Baseball
Maybe some randomly placed landmines?

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 01:58 AM)Minimalist Wrote: So I wait 5 months for baseball to resume and they are in a goddamn rain delay in the top of the 6th inning.

Goddamn it.

You are lucky. My team lost outright. Sad
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Baseball
(07-24-2020, 02:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: It's baseball. You're supposed to nap between pitches, what's your hurry?

I depend on watching baseball while typing on the laptop replying to cat blog friends. I always have time and if anything interesting happens, they show the replay. That doesn't work in college basketball season.

Baseball
Prediction: The Washington Nationals (my local team) will be the worst or 2nd worst pro baseball team this year. And The Washington Commanders (my local team) will be the worst in pro football.

Baseball
The rules changes enacted this year have in fact sped up the game.  Although I'd love to see them cut down on the between innings breaks.  Of course, the Lords of Baseball would rather amputate their own balls with a rusty saw than reduce the number of commercials they shove up our asses.
  • Full Circle