Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfortunate phrases.

Unfortunate phrases.
Some sentences shouldn't be read out loud.

THe Dolphins of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey.

p. 334. "There everyone else on this extraordinary voyage had wineglasses, which were being topped up by Master Idalaron's seamen."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, adey67, Dom, SYZ

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-21-2020, 01:28 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some sentences shouldn't be read out loud.

p. 334. "There everyone else on this extraordinary voyage had wineglasses, which were being topped up by Master Idalaron's seamen."

McCaffrey is to writing fantasy/sci-fi what McDonald's is to fine dining.
On hiatus.

Unfortunate phrases.
Two best typos I ever saw:

Unknown Doctor Who novelization: "The dust was an inch thick on the shelf the Doctor was peeing over."

Ebook edition of Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: "...Ethan Alien - leader of the Green Mountain Boys...."  If they're aliens, that's probably a whole different kind of green mountain boy.  XD
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Dom

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-21-2020, 02:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 01:28 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some sentences shouldn't be read out loud.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't put here on the pedestal that many do, but she is a multiple Nebula winner and was recognized as a Grand Master in 2004.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Unfortunate phrases.
In an episode of the Simpson's, gold is discovered in the river and Kent Brockman
says "Thanks, Mayor Simpson!  From now on, we'll all be taking golden showers."
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-21-2020, 05:14 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. I don't put here on the pedestal that many do, but she is a multiple Nebula winner and was recognized as a Grand Master in 2004.
Pay no attention to Philistines.

Unfortunate phrases.
"Hysteria."

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-21-2020, 07:15 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: "Hysteria."

Unfortunate phrases.

Bleh. Her stuff, at least the DoP trilogy which I read, was chock-full of purple prose and florid descriptions.
On hiatus.

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-22-2020, 12:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 02:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: McCaffrey is to writing fantasy/sci-fi what McDonald's is to fine dining.

Bleh. Her stuff, at least the DoP trilogy which I read, was chock-full of purple prose and florid descriptions.

What!? You don't want your psyche and libido taken over by our reptilian overlords? Dafuq is wrong witchoo?  Tongue

I did like the stories to some extent, though.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-21-2020, 02:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: McCaffrey is to writing fantasy/sci-fi what McDonald's is to fine dining.

Like I said, I don't put her on a pedestal. In fact, I think her depiction of the responses of the riders to their dragon's mating is borderline rape apologetics. Her son has actually done a much better job within the setting than she did herself. it was rather refreshing reading something fresh after her later, tired, dragging it out, mostly pointless, Pern tales. She certainly did her best work in the 60's, 70's and 80's, though her Tower and Hive books were borderline boddice rippers.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Unfortunate phrases.
(07-22-2020, 04:09 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 05:14 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I wouldn't go that far. I don't put here on the pedestal that many do, but she is a multiple Nebula winner and was recognized as a Grand Master in 2004.

Like I said, I don't put her on a pedestal. In fact, I think her depiction of the responses of the riders to their dragon's mating is borderline rape apologetics. Her son has actually done a much better job within the setting than she did herself. it was rather refreshing reading something fresh after her later, tired, dragging it out, mostly pointless, Pern tales. She certainly did her best work in the 60's, 70's and 80's, though her Tower and Hive books were borderline boddice rippers.

It's not about how she approaches things (viz. rape apologetics) but rather that her writing is simply overripe for my tastes. It's a subjective opinion and nothing more than that. I like lean and tight. She doesn't do that, much.

Never read her later stuff so I can't comment. Not what I like to read.
On hiatus.

Unfortunate phrases.
James Bond;   The World Is Not Enough (1999), while in bed with Dr Christmas Jones, Bond tells her "I thought Christmas only comes once a year".
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama