Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astronomers discover South Pole Wall, a 1.4 billion light year structure

https://www.livescience.com/south-pole-w...space.html

Quote:Spectacular 3D maps of the universe have revealed one of the biggest cosmic structures ever found — an almost-inconceivable wall stretching 1.4 billion light-years across that contains hundreds of thousands of galaxies.

The South Pole Wall, as it's been dubbed, has been hiding in plain sight, remaining undetected until now because large parts of it sit half a billion light-years away behind the bright Milky Way galaxy. The South Pole Wall rivals in size the Sloan Great Wall, the sixth largest cosmic structure discovered. (One light-year is roughly 6 trillion miles, or 9 trillion kilometers, so this "biggest cosmic structure" is mind-bendingly humongous.)

The size of the Universe never stops being amazing.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

That'll keep out them pesky aliens.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir, TheGentlemanBastard, jerry mcmasters, Paleophyte

Yeah, but who's paying for it?!?

It had better be them!

Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 5 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, GenesisNemesis, skyking, Paleophyte

(07-10-2020, 09:47 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Yeah, but who's paying for it?!?

It had better be them!

Big Grin

I dunno ... does the US Treasury accept Galactic Credits?
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte

Y'all know that the beings on the other side of that wall are aliens, right?  Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

"Lock them up! Lock them up!"
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, skyking

Why should I believe the "experts"? How do they know?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

(07-11-2020, 12:23 AM)no one Wrote: Why should I believe the "experts"? How do they know?

ROFL2  It's an educated guess, and the possibility that the theory of dark matter, which yielded some people a Nobel Prize, may be debunked is an example of the kind of fluidity in the theory and mathematics (not a lot) of astrophysics (a lot, because of the problem of making measurements and deriving any meaning from them). I kept my head down and mostly dealt with "close in" electromagnetic theory, like spacecraft and aircraft antennas. I took one course in solar system evolution (well, you see, when a daddy star loves a mommy star very much...)  Tongue  But the scientific community has learned a good deal about stars in the intervening 37 years since I got my degree. I had a fair degree of realization of my level of ignorance after earning a B SC in physics, and I can assure you that I feel even more ignorant today. I thought I was going to be a know-it-all and extend Einstein's work. It is to laugh. I made it a few weeks into the gravitation class as part of a master's program and realized how ignorant and unqualified I was for that. Quite the humbling experience. The universe is a big place; all kinds of things are undiscovered.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 5 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, Thumpalumpacus, Paleophyte, Mr Greene

(07-10-2020, 09:47 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Yeah, but who's paying for it?!?

It's being built on inflation.
The following 6 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • skyking, Deesse23, TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

(07-11-2020, 04:12 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:

It's being built on inflation.

Exactly, they just keep printing stars  Dance
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, GenesisNemesis, Fireball