Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The extraordinary life of Paul Robeson

There are few lives, black or white, that rival the life of Paul Robeson.  I was going to post this in another thread somewhere but it really didn't fit anywhere. He deserves his own thread.    For those of you who may not know who this extraordinary man was he was an amazing singer, actor, football player, got a law degree from Columbia, did the role of Othello on the London stage, traveled the world in defence of common workers and for black people everywhere.  He was a Black man who toyed with Communism which is probably why there aren't statues of him.  

I came across his amazing testimony before the House Committe on Un-American Activities.  To be fair, this was a re-enactment by actor, James Earl Jones because the original sound was very bad,  but the words are all Paul Robeson and show how powerful and demanding he was for Black equality.    He was a man before his time.

He traveled around the world in support of the common workers and here is a news report of him singing to Scottish miners in 1959.

And in Australia at the building of the Sidney Opera House singing Old Man River.

He was a colossus of a human being.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera, GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys

Apparently, he also changed the lyrics to Ole Man River (I know him from there but also some place else, but can't remember where exactly).Instead of:

"Ah gits weary
An' sick of tryin';
Ah'm tired of livin'An skeered of dyin',
But Ol' Man River,
He jes' keeps rolling along!"

He sang:

"But I keeps laffin'
Instead of cryin'
I must keep fightin';
Until I'm dyin',
And Ol' Man River,
He'll just keep rollin' along!"
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis, Dānu

(07-03-2020, 05:11 PM)Vera Wrote: Apparently, he also changed the lyrics to Ole Man River (I know him from there but also some place else, but can't remember where exactly).Instead of:

"Ah gits weary
An' sick of tryin';
Ah'm tired of livin'An skeered of dyin',
But Ol' Man River,
He jes' keeps rolling along!"

He sang:

"But I keeps laffin'
Instead of cryin'
I must keep fightin';
Until I'm dyin',
And Ol' Man River,
He'll just keep rollin' along!"

He also spoke several languages.  Practiced law for a short time.  Had an affair with white stage actress, Dame Peggy Ashcroft during the production of Othello in 1930.  Was one of the first black Othellos. There was a black Othello in London in 1825 but it was shut down.   He was a two time All American football player (while he was studying law) and was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame. Was a political activist for equality and the rights of workers.   Even without his voice he had an amazing life...oh, but with the voice.

And yes, he changed the lyrics to Ol Man River because he felt the other lyrics were too demeaning.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Vera, Dānu

(07-03-2020, 05:41 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: He also spoke several languages.  Practiced law for a short time.  Had an affair with white stage actress, Dame Peggy Ashcroft during the production of Othello in 1930.  Was one of the first black Othellos. There was a black Othello in London in 1825 but it was shut down.   He was a two time All American football player (while he was studying law) and was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame. Was a political activist for equality and the rights of workers.   Even without his voice he had an amazing life...oh, but with the voice.

And yes, he changed the lyrics to Ol Man River because he felt the other lyrics were too demeaning.

One could almost say that he was...

Show ContentSpoiler:

But really, what an impressive life!
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Dancefortwo