Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vera goes to Hollywood

Vera goes to Hollywood
Well, loosely speaking (I *am* known for my looseness… of speech  Angel ).

A book I’m translating (right now, actually, though I'm already translating the second book in a trilogy) has been picked up by Netflix for a TV series so I got to thinking about all “my” books that have been filmed.

So, the one right now is an Islamic fantasy, which is passable (even if the characters drive me insane) and I even think she’s actually going for an abusive first “love interest”, with the intention (I hope) to make a point about abusive and toxic relationships (very much like You, the TV series)… Scarily enough, the vast majority of fans of the book (and quite a few You fans) seem to actually be “shipping” the heroine with the “bad boy”… who’s literally committed genocide and is committing another one in this book… and yet, he’s apparently to be pitied and comforted and frankly, females letting their vaginas do their thinking are as pathetic as guys letting their cocks do it…

Aaanyway, here are the rest of them.

Love, Simon (book title Simon vs. the Homosexual Agenda). Cheesy as all get out. Or come out  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(There appears to be a series about... someone else in titular Simon's high school or something...)

Nicola Yoon’s Everything, Everything. Was ok till the very end, where it became unbelievably cheesy (even for YA romance) and ended with an extremely cheap cop-out (basically, she has an immune disease that makes her susceptible to everything so she has to live in the bubble of her house… falls in love with her neighbour… turns out her mother was making the disease up. I guess one can’t expect much – or any – depth from YA fiction. Or rather, one can, but will be bitterly disappointed).

By the same author: The Sun Is Also a Star; very woke (in the forced, unpleasant sense of the word) and everything, a Jamaican American and a Korean American meet, fall in instalove (literally over the course of a single day) but here’s rub – the girl is getting deported to Jamaica the next day. I’ve totally forgotten how it ends. I think they do not end up together, but can’t be arsed to look it up ;-)

Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments (a movie and a series, both look like utter shite, the main male character in particular is atrociously bad). Funnily enough, hers are the only books that don’t drive me to writercidal rage while I’m translating them.

This one is possibly *the* biggest pile of crap I’ve ever translated in a career liberally sprinkled (read: drowned) with piles of crap. Granny dies and “wills” her favourite, educated and cultured granddaughter to a local night club owner, amateur boxer and volunteer firefighter. It’s even worse than it sounds and by the looks of it, the movie (made by some sort of Hallmark-ey purveyor of bilge for the ovary-ridden) looks even worse. The actress looks ok but the actor is even more primitive and neadnerthal looking than the book portrayed the character.

This one, luckily, never amounted to more than a trailer (funnily enough, while this book is painfully dumb, the next books by this author were actually not as bad as your usual romance bilge. Not that *that*'s saying much.)

A thriller (generic, super powers among ordinary people kinda of crap), called Brilliance by Marcus Sakey seems to be about to be filmed, starring Will Smith.

I think there might be others but can't remember...
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 7 users Like Vera's post:
  • Bcat, brewerb, Dancefortwo, skyking, SYZ, M.Linoge, OakTree500