Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What was the high point of your day?

(05-27-2020, 08:34 PM)skyking Wrote: considering your usage, forget I mentioned it.
It is about command line work. Every time linux sees a space in a command, it assumes that it is another command. If the file is not visible to the system you are on, IE when doing rsync between machines, you have to wrap the file or directory name in single quotes. If you are writing scripts to automate some backups, you need to accommodate this.

All these long file names with spaces we get away with, now. I remember 8dot3. Then one job I worked, we were allowed up to 41dot13.  Smile

(05-28-2020, 01:18 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 08:34 PM)skyking Wrote: considering your usage, forget I mentioned it.
It is about command line work. Every time linux sees a space in a command, it assumes that it is another command. If the file is not visible to the system you are on, IE when doing rsync between machines, you have to wrap the file or directory name in single quotes. If you are writing scripts to automate some backups, you need to accommodate this.

All these long file names with spaces we get away with, now. I remember 8dot3. Then one job I worked, we were allowed up to 41dot13.  Smile

Windows still has some arcane and absurd limits. There's an FQN for paths limit around 256 which I repeatedly run into with music folders that are deeply nested with a lot of metadata included in the file name.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]

The high point of my day? Smelling the roses! I have one rosebush that fills the entire garden with the most wonderful scent, I open the window and the house fills with it, too.

[Image: P1010062.jpg]
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dānu, skyking, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, Chas, julep

rugosa?

(05-28-2020, 02:02 PM)skyking Wrote: rugosa?

That is what I gather. There was a private rose sale some 10 years ago. An elderly lady died and she had an acre and a half of old cultivar roses, started by her parents before WW2. The heirs just had it all torn out and sold them in bundles of 5 without labeling of any sort, bare root. I bought a bundle, and this is one of the roses in the bundle. Best 25 bucks I ever spent.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

Getting a boba tea *happy dance* Smile
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

Seeing a male cardinal actually singing instead of just chirping.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, skyking

Strawberries. The local teenagers put up their usual table a little bit further from the store than last year, but the berries are fantastic.  Drool

[Image: prod500406.jpg?sw=320&sh=378&sm=fit]
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, skyking

I got more work done on my cab build. It should be entirely finished and amp installed by next week.

I'm not too happy with the stain, darker than I had planned, but it has a charming look to it all the same.

I know fo sho that my next build will incorporate grain-filling prior to staining. The open grain on the ends of the sides soaked up the darker stain, and it looks a little like it went through a fire.

But hey, it's only rock and roll ... and I like it.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, GenesisNemesis, skyking

I recently bought a black ice maker to match my mini-fridge. It arrived dented, so I returned it and reordered from a different store. That was delivered this morning, but the one they sent was silver, not black, and both stores were completely out of stock of all colors. Three hours later, Walmart discovered some stock of the black ones, so I reordered. Hopefully this will be the final one. The first was from Walmart. The second was from Best Buy because Walmart had run out of stock. I'd rather have it from Walmart, anyway, because their return policy is better.
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I think I've had a reasonable quota of high points today. Found cheap phone service and got a free phone service working on my new cell phone. Applied for a good phone service that is totally free for me without sacrificing minutes or data. Was able to reorder the icemaker I wanted from the store I preferred. Had my new computer monitor ship so that I can stop worrying about them running out of stock. And I've been enlightened about what an overlooked gem the band Rage Against The Machine is by Youtube.
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, skyking

6 of Donald Trump's favorite recipes.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus

It's a reaalllly nice day out!
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:

(Yesterday, 05:04 AM)c172 Wrote: 6 of Donald Trump's favorite recipes.

From the article:

Quote:It’s probably no surprise to hear the President-elect enjoys a good steak. What is a bit surprising, though, is that he prefers his rib eye cooked all the way through.

I knew it! Big wuss.
Freedom isn't free.

VA docs doubled my opioid prescription.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

It's laundry day for me. I s'pose this is the high point, sitting on mom's porch and enjoying a beautiful spring day.

I'll take it. Smile
Freedom isn't free.

Since my final donation of the month is now unachievable, I'm in no hurries about anything.

My son nailed down a job.  Not what we’d have liked most—he’s back at Target—but it’s part time, so he’ll have time to keep looking in what I suspect is going to be a super competitive and daunting job market for a year or two plus do lessons and gigs, if these ever come back.  And he’ll be able to afford to move in with his girlfriend in a few months.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:

We came back to the beach yesterday and the whole thing's just a freaking high point.
Dogs playing on the sand baby ducks at the lake, sun, the sound of the surf at night.
it's going to rain tomorrow so we're going to drive up to the Olympic National Park I think.
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, julep

Hearing that the Supreme Court rejected a California church's case that it was being discriminated against in COVID regulations, attempting to say they were being treated differently. (LOL)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/30/us/su...virus.html
Treated "differently" ? Oh really. As in "not paying taxes" treated differently ?
They're desperate to worship this god, who sent them the virus in the first place.
Thank you Jesus ... thank you for COVID and thank you for killing more than 100,000 Americans.

Tramadol.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog