Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
USS Nevada Found

USS Nevada Found
Survived the Bikini A-bomb test and was later used as a target vessel.  Even then, they had to torpedo her to sink her.

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/search-a...ss-nevada/

Quote:US underwater archaeology firm SEARCH and marine robotics company Ocean Infinity have made the discovery of USS Nevada.

The USS Nevada is one of the U.S. Navy’s longest serving battleships, and viewed as the epitome of American resilience and perseverance.
The ship was located 65 nautical miles southwest of Pearl Harbor at a depth of over 15,400 feet (4.7 kilometres).
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23, LastPoet, Gwaithmir

USS Nevada Found
I had to google it to confirm but it was in my recollection as the one battleship to, when PH was attacked, book it out of there and hit open water. I had no idea what happened to it after that, my assumption was it was repaired and returned to duty. Interesting topic, thanks.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 12:05 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I had to google it to confirm but it was in my recollection as the one battleship to, when PH was attacked, book it out of there and hit open water.  I had no idea what happened to it after that, my assumption was it was repaired and returned to duty.  Interesting topic, thanks.

It did get underway, but did not reach open water. Once it started moving, the Japanese fliers targeted it and the ship took several bombs (250-lb, iirc, not doing much damage) and a torpedo which forced her to be grounded lest she sink in the deeper water of the channel.

Also (by memory and subject to error as well), with her commander ashore, her sortie was commanded by a Lieutenant, and the ship was conned by a SCPO.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 12:50 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 12:05 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I had to google it to confirm but it was in my recollection as the one battleship to, when PH was attacked, book it out of there and hit open water.  I had no idea what happened to it after that, my assumption was it was repaired and returned to duty.  Interesting topic, thanks.

It did get underway, but did not reach open water. Once it started moving, the Japanese fliers targeted it and the ship took several bombs (250-lb, iirc, not doing much damage) and a torpedo which forced her to be grounded lest she sink in the deeper water of the channel.

Also (by memory and subject to error as well), with her commander ashore, her sortie was commanded by a Lieutenant, and the ship was conned by a SCPO.

She made it as far as Hospital Point, where she was grounded to prevent her from sinking in the channel. The IJN pilots thought she would "bottle up" the harbor if she was sunk in the channel. She was 108' wide and about 600' long. The channel was 1,000 feet wide. No bottling possible.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
A picture of the grounded ship on the day of the attack:

[Image: PHnevada-lvn-120716-2.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking, Deesse23

USS Nevada Found
The original drawings of her dazzle;  no other ship wore this pattern.

[Image: n73631.jpg]

[Image: n73630.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

USS Nevada Found
They tried so hard to hide a 600' battleship with a coat of paint.

USS Nevada Found
And apparently it did nothing to stop  the pilots from spotting them.

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 03:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote: And apparently it did nothing to stop  the pilots from spotting them.
Yep. "A giant zebra-stripped object sailing past a submarine is every bit as visible as one that doesn't have camoflague."

They eventually settled on complete grey or light blue, and hoped for the best.

USS Nevada Found
We eventually settled for a shitload of Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns and a heavy CAP over the fleet.  Even that was spotty against Kamikaze attacks.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 03:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote: We eventually settled for a shitload of Bofors 40mm anti-aircraft guns and a heavy CAP over the fleet.  Even that was spotty against Kamikaze attacks.
A kamikaze is a guided missile with a "Organic Processing Unit" in control. Most AAA was meant to scare off attackers or ruin their aim. We came to believe that the Floating Chrysanthemum boys just didn't see that shit coming at them. The 20mm would kill a pilot, but the 40mm guns could kill a plane, and that what the last line of defense was. People tell of being below decks and hearing the 5" guns on other ships go into action. then the 5" guns on their own ships, then the 3", then the 40mm and finally the 20mm. When they heard the 20s they'd brace themselves, "just in case."
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Minimalist, Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
The 'Dazzle' wasn't to hide the ship.

It was people's idea to make the ship harder to 'Range in on' when enemy vessels opened up with the shelling.

Since, at the time of the development, most 'Range finding' was done with the Mark I Eyeball.

Once even early radar came on the scene it's usefullness dropped away.

Actually... given material technology something similar might one day appear again as a form of 'breaking up' radar/ladar return signals in the hope of at leat making an incommming missile have a harder time on its track.

Here's one of the 'End developments' of the Kamikaze planes/bombs.

Yes, that's a 'Thermo-jet' engine in the back the better to drive it home aginast defending fighters and AAA.

Cheers.

Not at work.

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 04:29 PM)Peebothuhlu Wrote: The 'Dazzle' wasn't to hide the ship. [/size]

Yes, I know. Since 1965. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

USS Nevada Found
Was just expanding/explaining to other, interested readers. Smile

Not at work.

USS Nevada Found
OTOH - they had to paint them something.....

[Image: 849721cd45321ca24fe1aaba9c3347a9.jpg]

let's admit that gray is boring.
  • Peebothuhlu

USS Nevada Found
And it's the easiest color to use to get lost with. That's why it's still in use today.

USS Nevada Found
(05-12-2020, 04:58 PM)Minimalist Wrote: OTOH - they had to paint them something.....

[Image: 849721cd45321ca24fe1aaba9c3347a9.jpg]

let's admit that gray is boring.

[Image: HMS-Victory-at-Portsmouth-Historic-Docky...ection.jpg]
Black & yellow isn't quite so popular these days...

USS Nevada Found
Back then they built them for function and beauty.

USS Nevada Found
(05-13-2020, 03:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Back then they built them for function and beauty.

And to kill people and shoot the shit out of things. Whistling
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
That was the "function" of a warship.
  • Thumpalumpacus

USS Nevada Found
There are also budgetary concerns, which explains why why they tend not to fulfill their stated function when actually required...

USS Nevada Found
(05-13-2020, 04:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote: That was the "function" of a warship.
Nope.

USS Nevada Found
(05-13-2020, 04:54 PM)Mr Greene Wrote: There are also budgetary concerns, which explains why why they tend not to fulfill their stated function when actually required...
Illustrative example?

USS Nevada Found
(05-13-2020, 04:57 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 04:54 PM)Mr Greene Wrote: There are also budgetary concerns, which explains why why they tend not to fulfill their stated function when actually required...
Illustrative example?
During the 18th century the standard European frigate was 36 guns, the French were building 40 gun frigates, so of course HM Treasury decided that 32 gun frigates would be adequate for the RN... 
Similarly whilst the European standard  Line of Battle Ship was 74 guns the Treasury decided 64 guns would be large enough.
If the French revolutionaries had sane leadership the outcome could have been very different... (For some reason despite having superior firepower they decided boarding was the way to go... Apparently revolutionary zeal negates black powder & iron balls or something...)

USS Nevada Found
I doubt the French sail navy would have been a match for the RN even if the leadership was better.

But your info didn't answer my request.