Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you worried about things going all Mad Max?

Are you about a societal fall out from Covid?
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-23-2020, 11:46 PM)Bcat Wrote: Are you about a societal fall out from Covid?

When it all hits the fan I'm going to go live with Gawdzilla's cousins.
The following 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Dom

I'm worried about what is going to happen to the third world. An article I just read pointed out that 3 billion people don't possess the option of washing their hands.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(04-23-2020, 11:56 PM)Dānu Wrote: I'm worried about what is going to happen to the third world.  An article I just read pointed out that 3 billion people don't possess the option of washing their hands.

Although Africans have escaped the worst so far, they many be the hardest hit in the longer run.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Bcat

(04-23-2020, 11:56 PM)Dānu Wrote: I'm worried about what is going to happen to the third world.  An article I just read pointed out that 3 billion people don't possess the option of washing their hands.

I posted this article about the WHO suspending polio vaccination campaigns in the stickied coronavirus thread, but few people noticed.  Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat

I can picture a recovery, but not in the short term. Things will get worse before they get better.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Bcat

No. Only about increase in authoritarianism, which is already happening.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

I think #thenewnormal is a very valid hashtag. Things will change permanently. C19 will leave an indellible mark even when we declare normal again. And this may c=ycle, or eventually be replaced by a new pandemic sooner than later. It's testing us, but in doing so is forcing us to think, and change.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

Barring further COVID-19 (or other viruses) pandemics, I see any change in behaviors and/or societal norms as short lived phenomena. Too many people were too comfortable with their lives for any but the smallest of long term changes. People don't change much. Societies, over long enough time scales do, but not the individual members. If there's a resurgence next winter, or an annual recurrence, it'll force some change, but if it's a one-off, or takes years to resurface, people will forget, go back to all their old patterns, and we'll be re-learning all the lessons this one's trying to teach us.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat, adey67, Thumpalumpacus

I for one welcome it. I've reserved the space of "Flame-thrower guitar player" in the war-boys posse  Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Fireball, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

(04-23-2020, 11:47 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 11:46 PM)Bcat Wrote: Are you about a societal fall out from Covid?

When it all hits the fan I'm going to go live with Gawdzilla's cousins.

Don't. Their system is propped up government handouts. If they had do an honest day's work they'd be dead in a week.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat