Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: which is harder to quit?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
booze
60.00%
3 60.00%
cigs
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Booze or cigs?

Booze or cigs?
Which is harder to quit?

Gotta be booze, right?

Booze or cigs?
I don't know...I've never smoked and while I do like a drink once and awhile, I can take it or leave it. That said, I have friends who have smoked who say it was very difficult to quit. I also know people who are now sober who say the same thing about drinking. Addiction to anything can be very hard to overcome, but I think it is possible with the right support system in place.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Booze or cigs?
You.

Booze or cigs?
I've never smoked, so I'd have to say booze.

Booze or cigs?
Might be a matter of personal chemistry.
god, ugh

Booze or cigs?
My doc says cigs can be harder to quit than Heroin. It depends on how much you smoke - if you have chain smoked for 50 years, it may be impossible to quit because your whole body chemistry has adapted.

No idea about booze.

This doesn't really belong in personal issues and support, unless Jerry has a personal issue with booze or cigs?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Deesse23

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 01:52 AM)Dom Wrote: My doc says cigs can be harder to quit than Heroin. It depends on how much you smoke - if you have chain smoked for 50 years, it may be impossible to quit because your whole body chemistry has adapted.

No idea about booze.

This doesn't really belong in personal issues and support, unless Jerry has a personal issue with booze or cigs?

Sorry Dom.  I'm battling the bottle but this was a casual post so please move to appropriate home.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 01:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 01:52 AM)Dom Wrote: My doc says cigs can be harder to quit than Heroin. It depends on how much you smoke - if you have chain smoked for 50 years, it may be impossible to quit because your whole body chemistry has adapted.

No idea about booze.

Sorry Dom.  I'm battling the bottle but this was a casual post so please move to appropriate home.

Done. If you have an issue during your battle, please do ask in Personal Support. You'd be surprised how supportive we heathens can be...
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, adey67

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 01:57 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 01:55 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

No idea about booze.

Done. If you have an issue during your battle, please do ask in Personal Support. You'd be surprised how supportive we heathens can be...

I am tuned in to the "Drinking under Quarantine" thread which came up a few days ago (may not be the correct title), thanks!
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dom, adey67

Booze or cigs?
As cliché as it may be, you can do anything you put your mind to. I used to drink to drown my sorrows. As it turns out, sorrow is a world class swimmer. I climbed out of the bottle about 6 years ago. Haven't had a drink since. I still cook with alcohol. Not regularly though.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, skyking, Thumpalumpacus

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 02:01 AM)no one Wrote: As cliché as it may be, you can do anything you put your mind to. I used to drink to drown my sorrows. As it turns out, sorrow is a world class swimmer. I climbed out of the bottle about 6 years ago. Haven't had a drink since.  I still cook with alcohol. Not regularly though.

I drank a lot in my early 20s, and again when I had chronic Lyme disease for years, alcohol numbs any pain if you drink enough of it. I drank constantly for years then. Not an alcoholic though, got my Lyme fixed and promptly quit without thinking twice. Not all heavy drinkers are addicts, just like not all heavy smokers are addicts.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Booze or cigs?
Cigarettes are a higher mountain for me than booze.

Shit, I used a metaphor.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 02:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Shit, I used a metaphor.

Any chance of you keeping your douchebaggery to just one thread at a time?

Booze or cigs?
I smoked a few times in high school at parties when I was drinking, then when I first moved out of the house I bought & smoked a pipe because it helped make the apartment smell like home. Maybe once a week on the weekends, after about 6 months or so I stopped.

I guess the difference is why you smoke or drink.

There's a woman at work who's smoking seems to have doubled since this whole covid thing has started because it helped calm her nerves, and I've heard similar things from other people that it helps calm their nerves.

Lots of people drink to forget something or "deal" with something.

I guess it depends if your using (whatever it is) because you like it... or as a crutch.

There are lots of crutches, food, shopping etc...
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:00 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Nah, you deserve this. You did, after all, complain I was using metaphors when conversing with you. I was noting I did so again, accidentally. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies.

Well, no, I'm really not. Grow a pair and quit crying.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:00 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Nah, you deserve this. You did, after all, complain I was using metaphors when conversing with you. I was noting I did so again, accidentally. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies.

Just keep exposing yourself, asswipe.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:17 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:00 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Any chance of you keeping your douchebaggery to just one thread at a time?

You deserve this, Jerry.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nah, you deserve this. You did, after all, complain I was using metaphors when conversing with you. I was noting I did so again, accidentally. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies.

You deserve this, Jerry.

?  Huh?

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:15 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nah, you deserve this. You did, after all, complain I was using metaphors when conversing with you. I was noting I did so again, accidentally. Sorry if that rustles your jimmies.

You deserve this, Jerry.

Maybe just leave all of this in the other thread? I think you're a great guy Thump, but I had another member follow me from thread to thread in the past who I disagreed with and it was really annoying.  Girl_yes2  Anyway, Jerry is a good guy.  He drew your picture in another thread--he drew all of our pictures.  He took the time to do that.  Imo, he's a good guy, even if you disagree with him.  The world is crazy now.  Group hug  Hug
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:36 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ?  Huh?

I'll let that speak for itself.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:43 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:17 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Just keep exposing yourself, asswipe.

You deserve this, Jerry.

Maybe just leave all of this in the other thread? I think you're a great guy Thump, but I had another member follow me from thread to thread in the past who I disagreed with and it was really annoying.  Girl_yes2   Anyway, Jerry is a good guy.  He drew your picture in another thread--he drew all of our pictures.  He took the time to do that.  Imo, he's a good guy, even if you disagree with him.  The world is crazy now.  Group hug  Hug

I'll drop it here, but I disagree about Jerry being a good guy. I've seen his bullshit behavior and think it should be called out.

I'll leave off this thread, though. Sorry for speaking my mind.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:43 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 03:23 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You deserve this, Jerry.

Maybe just leave all of this in the other thread? I think you're a great guy Thump, but I had another member follow me from thread to thread in the past who I disagreed with and it was really annoying.  Girl_yes2   Anyway, Jerry is a good guy.  He drew your picture in another thread--he drew all of our pictures.  He took the time to do that.  Imo, he's a good guy, even if you disagree with him.  The world is crazy now.  Group hug  Hug

I'll drop it here, but I disagree about Jerry being a good guy. I've seen his bullshit behavior and think it should be called out.

I'll leave off this thread, though. Sorry for speaking my mind.

I'm not saying not to speak your mind.  It's clear how you feel about Jerry lol...I was just saying why not keep it in the other thread when Jerry was trying to leave that thread?  That was my only point.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 03:57 AM)Bcat Wrote: I'm not saying not to speak your mind.  It's clear how you feel about Jerry lol...I was just saying why not keep it in the other thread when Jerry was trying to leave that thread?  That was my only point.

Okay.
On hiatus.

Booze or cigs?
(04-23-2020, 12:17 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Which is harder to quit?

Gotta be booze, right?

Nope, cigs.

This is the voice of experience.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • SYZ, Thumpalumpacus

Booze or cigs?
Never needed booze. I know, weird thing for a sailor to say. I quit smoking because I'm extremely bloodyminded when I need to be.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]