Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cabin Fever Thread.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 12:01 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 11:51 PM)Mark Wrote: Community property state?

Robber baroness.  Thumbsdown

Just roll with it.
I'm wiped out! Aggravated
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 09:40 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 12:01 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Robber baroness.  Thumbsdown

Just roll with it.

Sometimes "wiped out" is the only rational option. A sensible person can only take "so much" inanity before they fold the cards and say "enough". Then you have to back up a bit and collect your thoughts again. Then ante up and see what the new cards are.

And BTW, I suck at poker. It's not that I have "tells" (I do have a good "poker face"); I just don't understand the odds. And I'm too honest to bluff.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

The Cabin Fever Thread.
Bluffing is an art that requires the cooperation of the other players. Nothing dishonest about it, it's just using the truth creatively.

Well, okay, it's lying. But it's also the only real reason to play poker.
  • Cavebear

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 10:22 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Bluffing is an art that requires the cooperation of the other players. Nothing dishonest about it, it's just using the truth creatively.

And that's why I don't play. I'm just too honest. Good poker players are liars at heart and I wouldn't trust them to save my newspapers while I'm on vacation. Give me a chess player anytime... The chessboard never conceals anything.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 11:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 10:22 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Bluffing is an art that requires the cooperation of the other players. Nothing dishonest about it, it's just using the truth creatively.

And that's why I don't play.  I'm just too honest.  Good poker players are liars at heart and I wouldn't trust them to save my newspapers while I'm on vacation.  Give me a chess player anytime...  The chessboard never conceals anything.
You don't lie when you're bluffing, you mis-represent the validity of your hand.
  • Cavebear

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 11:09 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 11:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

And that's why I don't play.  I'm just too honest.  Good poker players are liars at heart and I wouldn't trust them to save my newspapers while I'm on vacation.  Give me a chess player anytime...  The chessboard never conceals anything.
You don't lie when you're bluffing, you mis-represent the validity of your hand.

Misrepresenting the validity of your cards is not "lying"? You have a rather broad concept of truth. LOL! Well, that's why I prefer games that don't allow much deception. I'm not saying that isn't a skill for some games, just that those aren't the ones I prefer.

In college, we played penny poker. No raise of more than a penny. We were all broke. So we played a lot of high/low. I became an expert at "low". Constructing the worst hand possible just came naturally to me. 2-3-4-5-7 of no flushes was what I was used to. Wink I started with a dollar of pennies and ended up many nights with 4 bucks. That was serious beer money then. Or pizza.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
The bluff requires the other person to buy into your representation. They have to believe you have a good hand. You don't actually say this, you just play as if you do have five aces.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 11:31 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The bluff requires the other person to buy into your representation. They have to believe you have a good hand. You don't actually say this, you just play as if you do have five aces.

I had a friend for decades who claimed to support himself in college by playing high-stakes poker in Mexico over the Summer. That always seemed a bit exotic, but he always did have a rather obsessive desire to win at any card game, and was more than willing to take money from friends. And he was completely separated from his parents, so maybe he was telling the truth. And he never could play any game well if there was no money involved. It focused him. I wouldn't play poker with him. We settled on Hollywood Gin and Backgammon without "doubling". I was good enough at those to keep it fairly even. Gramma was a demon gin player and I learned early how to play it well.

Backgammon was weird. I read the rules for years and couldn't make sense of it. Then someone just showed me how to play and I caught on immediately. Some games are like that. I am an aggressive backgammon player, but the skill is knowing WHEN to be.

But I have never learned the skill of bluffing at anything. I'm always entirely above board.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 12:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 11:31 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The bluff requires the other person to buy into your representation. They have to believe you have a good hand. You don't actually say this, you just play as if you do have five aces.

I had a friend for decades who claimed to support himself in college by playing high-stakes poker in Mexico over the Summer.  That always seemed a bit exotic, but he always did have a rather obsessive desire to win at any card game, and was more than willing to take money from friends.  And he was completely separated from his parents, so maybe he was telling the truth.  And he never could play any game well if there was no money involved.  It focused him.  I wouldn't play poker with him.  We settled on Hollywood Gin and Backgammon without "doubling".  I was good enough at those to keep it fairly even.  Gramma was a demon gin player and I learned early how to play it well.  

Backgammon was weird.  I read the rules for years and couldn't make sense of it.  Then someone just showed me how to play and I caught on immediately.  Some games are like that.  I am an aggressive backgammon player, but the skill is knowing WHEN to be.

But I have never learned the skill of bluffing at anything.  I'm always entirely above board.
I got into a poker game the day before I left Engineman A School, back in 1969. Seven other guys also leaving. At the end of the game I had all their money and eight airplane tickets. The one-legged Marine that was my real father told me learning to play poker was essential for a military man.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear, Alan V, Mark

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 12:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 12:33 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

I had a friend for decades who claimed to support himself in college by playing high-stakes poker in Mexico over the Summer.  That always seemed a bit exotic, but he always did have a rather obsessive desire to win at any card game, and was more than willing to take money from friends.  And he was completely separated from his parents, so maybe he was telling the truth.  And he never could play any game well if there was no money involved.  It focused him.  I wouldn't play poker with him.  We settled on Hollywood Gin and Backgammon without "doubling".  I was good enough at those to keep it fairly even.  Gramma was a demon gin player and I learned early how to play it well.  

Backgammon was weird.  I read the rules for years and couldn't make sense of it.  Then someone just showed me how to play and I caught on immediately.  Some games are like that.  I am an aggressive backgammon player, but the skill is knowing WHEN to be.

But I have never learned the skill of bluffing at anything.  I'm always entirely above board.
I got into a poker game the day before I left Engineman A School, back in 1969. Seven other guys also leaving. At the end of the game I had all their money and eight airplane tickets. The one-legged Marine that was my real father told me learning to play poker was essential for a military man.

My uncle, a navy man, said backgammon was the harder game. You can't hide the pieces. My basic objection is the dice. I hae games of chance. But at least in backgammon, you have some choices about how the handle the dice roll.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
Ever tried cribbage? I've seen real money change hands in that game. But sailors will gamble on when the next wave gets here.
  • Cavebear

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 01:00 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Ever tried cribbage? I've seen real money change hands in that game. But sailors will gamble on when the next wave gets here.

I play cribbage online frequently. Dad used to beat me up on that because I would always miss counting some points and he could claim them. But online does that for you. So I do much better there.

Actually, there aren't many games I haven't played. And generally win more than 50%. Name one.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 01:05 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 01:00 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Ever tried cribbage? I've seen real money change hands in that game. But sailors will gamble on when the next wave gets here.

I play cribbage online frequently.  Dad used to beat me up on that because I would always miss counting some points and he could claim them.  But online does that for you.  So I do much better there.

Actually, there aren't many games I haven't played.  And generally win more than 50%.  Name one.
Have you ever played for life or death with a Sicilian?

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 10:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 09:40 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 07:46 AM)Chas Wrote: Just roll with it.

Sometimes "wiped out" is the only rational option.  A sensible person can only take "so much" inanity before they fold the cards and say "enough".  Then you have to back up a bit and collect your thoughts again.  Then ante up and see what the new cards are.

And BTW, I suck at poker.  It's not that I have "tells" (I do have a good "poker face"); I just don't understand the odds. And I'm too honest to bluff.

Try playing hi lo omaha.  Bluffing plays a very small role in winning that game.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 11:29 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Misrepresenting the validity of your cards is not "lying"?  You have a rather broad concept of truth.  LOL!  

Cavebear to the officer writing out his speeding ticket: "No sir, I was not going 70 mph.  It was 75!"
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
Instagram is getting annoying with its glitches. It seems to revert to what I saw yesterday. Maybe not a glitch?
Is this sig thing on?

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-12-2020, 04:45 PM)c172 Wrote: Instagram is getting annoying with its glitches. It seems to revert to what I saw yesterday. Maybe not a glitch?

It's Easter, not groundhog's day.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
So I went out today. Stopped for gas at a local convenience store. Saw a cop car parked in front of the store. I moved around to intersect the left rear and pressed my fingers onto the paint. The cop happened to be coming around the front of the car and had a good laugh. That's my good deed for the day.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
[Image: avHIcAU.jpg]

[Image: 0gfxdov.gif]
The following 5 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V, Dancefortwo, Bcat, Dānu, Old Man Marsh

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-16-2020, 07:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: avHIcAU.jpg]

[Image: 0gfxdov.gif]

That's super cool lookin, Gawd.   You're a stylin' guy.   Thumbs Up

Hubby and I are going to take a day trip out of town, maybe an hours drive or more, find a Carl's Jr,  get a couple burgers, sit in the car and eat it and then drive back.
                                                         T4618

The Cabin Fever Thread.
Got five of them from Amazon. Thumbs Up
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu

The Cabin Fever Thread.
(04-11-2020, 01:09 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: I'm not cooped up. I still go to work four nights a week.

Same here. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
On hiatus.

The Cabin Fever Thread.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Old Man Marsh, Aroura

The Cabin Fever Thread.
I feel normal. Felt weird without my internet. But also I was not going on pushes, thinking walking/pushing would get some sort of reprimand unless it was to a place of necessity, like the supermarket. I might go push over to the supermarket for dinner and frozen vegetables later. Seems like a good idea. I also need a wheelchair repair, since I lost a bracket in my wheel, and therefore feel like I'm going to shear a rim.
Is this sig thing on?

The Cabin Fever Thread.
Mr D42 and I hopped in the car and drove an hour across town to a Carl's Jr drive through.  We ate in the parking lot and drove back.  Mind you, there's a Carl's Jr down the street but we wanted it to make a trip out of it. Felt good to get out of the city (almost)  and do something besides work from home.  It was fun.   

PartyBalloons
                                                         T4618