Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hobby thread

The hobby thread
(04-02-2020, 03:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 01:38 AM)julep Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 01:08 AM)Dom Wrote: Amazon sells a ton of jigsaw puzzles. And there are free online ones, too.

I’ll check out the online ones (I’m curious about how that work and whether it would satisfy the physical  stim I get from doing them and running the pieces through my fingers.  

While I was kind of joking about not knowing where I could get jigsaw puzzles, unfortunately until our bank account gets some bumps from stimulus checks, university room and board refunds, etc., we aren’t going to be spending on anything extra.  My husband’s car died unexpectedly on a grocery run tonight, we had to have it towed back home and will soon have to have it towed to the repair shop...annoying times.  All extra $ are going to alcohol, rainy year, and my son’s first apartment funds. 
Not puzzles, although in terms of bang for buck, puzzles are great.

There's some really fun Paint by Numbers for Adult paintings available now.  They've become more popular because everyone's stuck inside.  

[Image: b65c61f7cac775e98a4426f0dd31891b.png]

They have cool Van Gogh Paint by Numbers.   I used to looooove doing paint by numbers. People scoff at them but I learned a lot about painting by doing them.  I would wile away hours ensconced in them and I grew to love the smell of the paints.  Even today, if I smell a paint my numbers paint pot I go into a mental place that's warm and safe and wonderful. Ahhhhhhhhh

[Image: dream-tree-van-gogh-paint-by-numbers-for...1552012177]

I like coloring books for adults.  I love funny ones like "The People of Walmart" and "The Official Bob Ross Coloring Book."  You are so much more classy than me ha ha  Hug Heart

The hobby thread
OK , SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
Emma sighting Big Grin
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • Bcat, Emma, Dom

The hobby thread
My latest "hobby" is lock-picking.  I've just bought one of these advanced training aids...

[Image: Screenshot-2020-07-23-Multipick-Super-Se...k-Pals.png]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Bcat, skyking, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
I used to read a lot more, both fiction and non-fiction. For some reason that doesn't really "click" for me anymore. I'm not sure why. I tend to get more Zen from piddling away at work, which, since it's 100% remote (has been for much of my 34 years as a software dev) is never-ending. I keep up on news feeds and enjoy reading essays / thought pieces.

I also used to walk a lot, but the pandemic and the maskholes have somewhat ruined it for me.

Since the pandemic we've been doing a lot of jigsaw puzzles. My wife wants to re-learn backgammon, which she learned to play in her youth when she spent some time on a kibbutz (backgammon's a "thing" in much of the middle east) -- so in coming days I'll try to figure that game out with her.

Reading this I note that I'm really starting to sound like quite the old fart.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • SYZ, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
(07-23-2020, 01:23 AM)SYZ Wrote: My latest "hobby" is lock-picking.  I've just bought one of these advanced training aids...

[Image: Screenshot-2020-07-23-Multipick-Super-Se...k-Pals.png]

Lockpicking is fun; I worked for a while in a lock shop, and what I picked up there definitely stood me in good stead when I moved into IT, in the days when IBM put locks on their cases to prevent mere mortals from poking around inside (not as evil as Compaq, who used cylinder locks, which I never mastered, we won't even mention their proprietary screw heads, the bastards).
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Aroura, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
(07-22-2020, 10:46 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 10:12 PM)Emma Wrote: My current hobby, aside from gaming, has been drawing. I post them on Instagram, if anyone wants to see or follow ?

Hope everyone is doing well!

(oh, just an FYI, some drawings are NSFW)

Leather Goddesses of Phobos?

I made a harness for a stripper once that started out like that one, then got seriously kinky. She tipped well but never paid me for it.  Whistling

Hahaha, this is from redditgetsdrawn, a subreddit where people submit pictures of themselves to be drawn or painted or whatever.  Big Grin

A lot of what I've been drawing has been from there.  Tongue
The following 3 users Like Emma's post:
  • Bcat, Gawdzilla Sama, Unsapien

The hobby thread
Woops, double post

The hobby thread
(07-22-2020, 10:22 PM)Bcat Wrote: Emmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!  Heart Heart JD sent me a link to your Instagram.  I was going to drop you a hi, but here you are  Big Grin So hiiiii!! Also amazing art work Thumbs Up You're very talented.  I'm lucky if I can draw a stick figure.   Tongue

Awwww thank you!! Yes, please drop by, I'm easier to reach on Instagram these days. 

I'm doing well, just laying low during the pandemic. I hope everyone has been staying safe and healthy!! 

(07-22-2020, 10:33 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: EMMA!!!!!!!!!!   How are you?? We've missed you.   How is everything going.

Going well! More or less. Lucky to have a job that I can do from home. How about you all?   Heart Heart
The following 3 users Like Emma's post:
  • Bcat, Aroura, Antonio

The hobby thread
(07-23-2020, 09:09 PM)Emma Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 10:22 PM)Bcat Wrote: Emmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!  Heart Heart JD sent me a link to your Instagram.  I was going to drop you a hi, but here you are  Big Grin So hiiiii!! Also amazing art work Thumbs Up You're very talented.  I'm lucky if I can draw a stick figure.   Tongue

Awwww thank you!! Yes, please drop by, I'm easier to reach on Instagram these days. 

I'm doing well, just laying low during the pandemic. I hope everyone has been staying safe and healthy!! 

(07-22-2020, 10:33 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: EMMA!!!!!!!!!!   How are you?? We've missed you.   How is everything going.

Going well! More or less. Lucky to have a job that I can do from home. How about you all?   Heart Heart

We miss you here! So good to see you back!  Heart
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Emma

The hobby thread
Fun thread!

I don't have a single hobby, I can meander from one to another.  For a while, I'd say my main hobby was sewing/costume making.  But since we left the SCA roughly a decade ago, my sewing has been more practical, and less involved.  I still make our own Halloween costumes (though not this year!), and some of our regular every day clothing, but it's a lot more sporadic than it used to be.

Cooking is a long time hobby.  I really enjoy trying new recipes, and learning new techniques.  I am currently taking a series of online classes (normally done in person) for vegan cooking, not because I'm vegan (I'm not), but because it's great to know all these different ways to use foods!

Reading and gaming (specifically MMO's) are both part time hobbies that I'm always trying to find time for.  Painting figures and ceramics I've been doing since my teens, and is still something I love to do now and then.  Same with drawing.  I just did a classic Rankin and Bass Bilbo Baggins for my dad for Fathers Day.

Of course my newest hobby is gardening. It kind of goes hand in hand with cooking and sewing.  I like being self sufficient and having practical skills, many of which were mostly lost to my generation. I love growing some of our own food so much!  It gives me joy every single day to go out into our little patio garden.  I have plans and dreams to expand it next season.  I've had decent success for our first year doing this, and won't give up for some failures, instead using them to learn.  For instance, the high desert isn't really great for long season tomatoes. Girl_devil Which is a bummer, I'd love to grow some of those gorgeous colored heirlooms, but next season I'm going to go for some early varieties that tolerate more temp variation instead.

Hobbies are one of the things that make life such a joy!
The following 5 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Bcat, SYZ, Emma, Little Lunch, Astreja

The hobby thread
My hobby has progressed a bit! I just finished my very first paid commission! I've never had anyone want to buy my art, let alone commission me to make something custom for them! Big Grin

The following 9 users Like Emma's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, jerry mcmasters, Chas, Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus, Aroura, Aliza, Unsapien

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 02:32 PM)Dom Wrote: This is one of my hobbies:

[Image: fishes.jpg]

How about you?

There’s a FB group that everyone is as vague as possible describing their hobby. ? Maybe we should give it a try? I pee on myself while wearing a rubber suit.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce

The hobby thread
(12-27-2020, 06:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:

How about you?

There’s a FB group that everyone is as vague as possible describing their hobby. ? Maybe we should give it a try? I pee on myself while wearing a rubber suit.

Diving or surfing?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

The hobby thread
I've started doing the polymer clay jewelry making.  I don't have any photos to show yet because I'm still learning the techniques.  A few years ago I made some costume jewelry out of polymer clay for a Shakespeare play but I didn't get into it that much.  With Covid and sitting around the house a lot I've taken up this fun little hobby.   What's so cool is that one cooks the polymer in a home oven to cure it.     Here are a few photos I found on the internet of other polymer artist's work.

[Image: polymer-clay-featured-image.png]

[Image: polymer-clay-jewelry-necklace-and-earrin...1529125994]

[Image: Polymer-clay-antique-pendant-6.jpg]

Some of this is a little over the top and I wouldn't necessarily wear it but I like that of it can look very ethnic or be simple and elegant.  The plastic quality of polymer is such that one can model it into so many different shapes and then add metal and semi-precious beads and cook it into the clay.  One can also press different objects into the clay to make different textures.  It can also be burnished with metal paints for a metalic look.   It lends itself to a lot of expressive artsy-fartsy stuff.  Very fun and amazing stuff.     Nod
                                                         T4618
The following 9 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Fireball, Full Circle, Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23, Dom, Bcat, Kim, Astreja, Antonio

The hobby thread
(12-27-2020, 08:04 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 06:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:

How about you?

Diving or surfing?

Diving  Thumbs Up
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
The following 3 users Like Full Circle's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Dom, Dancefortwo

The hobby thread
(12-27-2020, 09:14 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I've started doing the polymer clay jewelry making.  I don't have any photos to show yet because I'm still learning the techniques.  A few years ago I made some costume jewelry out of polymer clay for a Shakespeare play but I didn't get into it that much.  With Covid and sitting around the house a lot I've taken up this fun little hobby.   What's so cool is that one cooks the polymer in a home oven to cure it.     Here are a few photos I found on the internet of other polymer artist's work.

[Image: polymer-clay-featured-image.png]

[Image: polymer-clay-jewelry-necklace-and-earrin...1529125994]

[Image: Polymer-clay-antique-pendant-6.jpg]

Some of this is a little over the top and I wouldn't necessarily wear it but I like that of it can look very ethnic or be simple and elegant.  The plastic quality of polymer is such that one can model it into so many different shapes and then add metal and semi-precious beads and cook it into the clay.  One can also press different objects into the clay to make different textures.  It can also be burnished with metal paints for a metalic look.   It lends itself to a lot of expressive artsy-fartsy stuff.  Very fun and amazing stuff.     Nod

Wow, look at the versatility! Very cool!
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Dancefortwo

The hobby thread
I'm trying to become a gamer. I more or less stopped playing videogames after losing my fingers, but decided to try to develop an interest in it again. I never was much of a player -- more someone who collected games more than she played them. I'm still a lot that way, enjoying shopping for new games as much if not more than actually playing them, but I'm working to shift that balance. I've amassed a large collection of games, so I have enough variety that there's always a game to pique my interest regardless of my mood. I tend to engage in short sessions now, of 30-60 minutes each, checking out the game, familiarizing myself with how to play it, and playing a little ways in. I'm discovering that my handicap isn't as big a handicap as I thought it would be, and it depends on the game, with very few of them being very difficult to manage. So far I've probably invested the most time in Civ V and Divinity I, which were the main games that I bought at Steam's summer sale. But like I said, I'm sampling them like a box of chocolates. Some are disappointing, but the process of discovery is enjoyable, and I'm discovering that I'm more capable than I thought that I was. And as always, I love the shopping!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The hobby thread
My hobby is being the target of anger and hate.

[Image: FKps0Fz.png]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Antonio

The hobby thread
I grew up in the mid-80's having an NES, Nintendo's original (I think) platform. I probably had 12 games or so, but 90 percent of the time, it was Super Mario. I had (that I remember) RC Pro-AM (my second favorite), Kid Icarus, Kung Fu, Zelda, some Mike Tyson game, Excitebike, Pinball, Soccer, Baseball, Top Gun and others. I wish I had spread the love a bit better. If I still had an NES, I think I'd like all those games more equally.

I really should have been born a bit later. Now gaming is a much more social, and legitimate, thing. Heck, there's even E-Major League Soccer (go E-Sounders?).

Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Dānu

The hobby thread
I enjoy making things from seemingly useless things. My wife is always telling me off for keeping hold of useless items. "Why are you keeping that" she says... "It'll come in handy for something" I say.
I once made a bench for the garden from an old scaffold plank and two chimney pots. "That's crap" she said.
The following 4 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • skyking, Dom, Bcat, Kim

The hobby thread
Considering I don't make a living as a writer, my writing could be considered a hobby.
The following 6 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Dom, mordant, Gwaithmir, skyking, Teddy

The hobby thread
(12-29-2020, 12:17 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I enjoy making things from seemingly useless things. My wife is always telling me off for keeping hold of useless items. "Why are you keeping that" she says...  "It'll come in handy for something" I say.
I once made a bench for the garden from an old scaffold plank and two chimney pots. "That's crap" she said.

LOL, do you still have it?  Sounds very rustic and fun for a garden. 

What follows is my gardening opus:  

At one point in our marriage my husband decided to take up gardening, which I must tell you, reeeally  invaded my territory.  I take care of the lawn and shrubs and flowers and stuff. 

But he decided he was going to plant a shit load of wild flowers, or as some people call them....weeds.  This was to be a gift to me.  Hundreds of flowers were to be planted.... FOR ME!     There is not an eyeroll smilie big enough to convey how I felt about this.   On top of that he was going to start a lot of flowers and plants from seeds so he went out and bought all sorts of shit.....er....stuff for this. He had a mini green house, a potting table and bench, a little rolling thing with wheels that he could sit on while he planted stuff.  He bought a bunch of seed starting squares and every sort of shovel, trowel and gardening gadget you can imagine.   He bought special drip hoses and attachments for them and timers to turn them on and off.  Then there were all the little 3 inch pots for when the seedlings started to sprout.  They were everywhere.  There was over 60 of them......these fucking little annoying red ceramic pots.  

Silly me, when I garden I use a one or two shovels, a couple hoes, two different rakes and I have an old fashioned push mower for the lawn.    

But nope, hubby spent over  $400 US dollars on equipment,  plus the seeds and tubers for different.....um...invasive plants.  For some odd reason he decided to plant some of the flowers right next to a chain link fence so the flowers were growing more into the next door neighbors yard than in our yard. (Some of the wild flowers were weeds.)  He planted  flowers in places which made mowing the lawn almost impossible. He planted flowers every-fucking-where!  

While he was doing all this I kept hinting that ONE flower would have been just as beautiful as 60 flowers.  "You don't have to go to so much trouble. Just ONE, LONE, SINGLE FLOWER would be as beautiful as 60."

But no, he kept on planting. 

He planted some sort of vine plant right next to some English Ivy we have.  The vine plant got intertangled with the Ivy and both plants were not friendly with each other.  There was some sort of tuber plant that he planted underneath several boxwood bushes and the tuber spread everywhere and grew up through the boxwood bush when it bloomed. 

I mean, what are you gonna do when someone is doing something because they love you so much but in reality it fucking annoys you?  What was I supposed to do?  Tell me?   I was both steaming mad and amazed all at the same time.   

Thank gawd he had to go back to work after the summer was over.  He's a teacher.  As soon as he was out the door I slowly, almost imperceptably, began to undo the damage.  I dug graves for at least 30 of the little red pots and burried them deep underneath our maple tree.  The others I smashed up with a sledge hammer and snuck them, one by one,  into the garbage.  I did it so he wouldn't notice a thing.  I didn't want to hurt his feelings.  I did it so slowly that it took me 6 years to complete,  although one damned tuber is still  blooming underneath the boxwood bush.   The next year when some of the flowers didn't grow back he was very puzzled.  But I took advantage of his novice gardening experience and lied through my teeth and told him that the winter snow probably killed some of the flowers and the little red pots probably broke from an ice storm so I "had to throw them away".   I lied for several years to come.  Yup, D42 is a garden liar.  But I did it all for love.   Heart

What did I discover through this experience?  I discovered that when someone becomes overly enthusiastic about a hobby, watch out!  It's almost as bad as a new religious convert.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Dānu, Bcat, Kim, Antonio

The hobby thread
(12-29-2020, 04:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: LOL, do you still have it?  Sounds very rustic and fun for a garden. 

Nah, it fell to bits.

Quote:what are you gonna do when someone is doing something because they love you so much but in reality it fucking annoys you?  What was I supposed to do?  Tell me?  

Sounds like you handled it very well! He sounds like a top bloke by the way. Smile
The following 2 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Kim

The hobby thread
(12-29-2020, 04:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:17 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I enjoy making things from seemingly useless things. My wife is always telling me off for keeping hold of useless items. "Why are you keeping that" she says...  "It'll come in handy for something" I say.

LOL, do you still have it?  Sounds very rustic and fun for a garden. 

What follows is my gardening opus:  

At one point in our marriage my husband decided to take up gardening, which I must tell you, reeeally  invaded my territory.  I take care of the lawn and shrubs and flowers and stuff. 

But he decided he was going to plant a shit load of wild flowers, or as some people call them....weeds.  This was to be a gift to me.  Hundreds of flowers were to be planted.... FOR ME!     There is not an eyeroll smilie big enough to convey how I felt about this.   On top of that he was going to start a lot of flowers and plants from seeds so he went out and bought all sorts of shit.....er....stuff for this. He had a mini green house, a potting table and bench, a little rolling thing with wheels that he could sit on while he planted stuff.  He bought a bunch of seed starting squares and every sort of shovel, trowel and gardening gadget you can imagine.   He bought special drip hoses and attachments for them and timers to turn them on and off.  Then there were all the little 3 inch pots for when the seedlings started to sprout.  They were everywhere.  There was over 60 of them......these fucking little annoying red ceramic pots.  

Silly me, when I garden I use a one or two shovels, a couple hoes, two different rakes and I have an old fashioned push mower for the lawn.    

But nope, hubby spent over  $400 US dollars on equipment,  plus the seeds and tubers for different.....um...invasive plants.  For some odd reason he decided to plant some of the flowers right next to a chain link fence so the flowers were growing more into the next door neighbors yard than in our yard. (Some of the wild flowers were weeds.)  He planted  flowers in places which made mowing the lawn almost impossible. He planted flowers every-fucking-where!  

While he was doing all this I kept hinting that ONE flower would have been just as beautiful as 60 flowers.  "You don't have to go to so much trouble. Just ONE, LONE, SINGLE FLOWER would be as beautiful as 60."

But no, he kept on planting. 

He planted some sort of vine plant right next to some English Ivy we have.  The vine plant got intertangled with the Ivy and both plants were not friendly with each other.  There was some sort of tuber plant that he planted underneath several boxwood bushes and the tuber spread everywhere and grew up through the boxwood bush when it bloomed. 

I mean, what are you gonna do when someone is doing something because they love you so much but in reality it fucking annoys you?  What was I supposed to do?  Tell me?   I was both steaming mad and amazed all at the same time.   

Thank gawd he had to go back to work after the summer was over.  He's a teacher.  As soon as he was out the door I slowly, almost imperceptably, began to undo the damage.  I dug graves for at least 30 of the little red pots and burried them deep underneath our maple tree.  The others I smashed up with a sledge hammer and snuck them, one by one,  into the garbage.  I did it so he wouldn't notice a thing.  I didn't want to hurt his feelings.  I did it so slowly that it took me 6 years to complete,  although one damned tuber is still  blooming underneath the boxwood bush.   The next year when some of the flowers didn't grow back he was very puzzled.  But I took advantage of his novice gardening experience and lied through my teeth and told him that the winter snow probably killed some of the flowers and the little red pots probably broke from an ice storm so I "had to throw them away".   I lied for several years to come.  Yup, D42 is a garden liar.  But I did it all for love.   Heart

What did I discover through this experience?  I discovered that when someone becomes overly enthusiastic about a hobby, watch out!  It's almost as bad as a new religious convert.

Haha, I'm with your hubby! I hate lawns and love wild flowers. I have no lawn, it's all roses and shrubs with paths in between and lots of ground cover. And I did sow a bunch of wildflowers outside the fence, but alas, they failed.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Kim, Dancefortwo

The hobby thread
(12-28-2020, 07:23 PM)c172 Wrote: I grew up in the mid-80's having an NES, Nintendo's original (I think) platform. I probably had 12 games or so, but 90 percent of the time, it was Super Mario. I had (that I remember) RC Pro-AM (my second favorite), Kid Icarus, Kung Fu, Zelda, some Mike Tyson game, Excitebike, Pinball, Soccer, Baseball, Top Gun and others. I wish I had spread the love a bit better. If I still had an NES, I think I'd like all those games more equally.

I really should have been born a bit later. Now gaming is a much more social, and legitimate, thing. Heck, there's even E-Major League Soccer (go E-Sounders?).

Excitebike and John Elway's Football, that's what me and my roomie in the barracks played.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • c172