Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hobby thread

The hobby thread
This is one of my hobbies:

[Image: fishes.jpg]

How about you?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 02:32 PM)Dom Wrote: This is one of my hobbies:

How about you?

Just don't eat any tank-cleaner!

This is my little island of sanity:

[Image: YNWMs69.jpg]
On hiatus.

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 02:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

How about you?

Just don't eat any tank-cleaner!

This is my island of sanity:

[Image: YNWMs69.jpg]

No need to remove chlorine from my water - I have a well. Smile

I always wished I could play the guitar. Maybe this is a good time to teach myself. Get a cheap guitar to learn on, and I am sure there are books and videos to learn from.
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, skyking, Bcat, Emma

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 02:47 PM)Dom Wrote: I always wished I could play the guitar. Maybe this is a good time to teach myself. Get a cheap guitar to learn on, and I am sure there are books and videos to learn from.

It's not very hard at all to get started on the basics.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Bcat

The hobby thread
Computers, watching sports, and drinking. Well, I'm trying to learn how to cook as well.

I haven't had much drive to work on computers lately. I was waiting to get the BIOS on a disk controller updated before continuing work on my file server. I did that a week or so back. I started that project in January of last year, so it's not exactly urgent, but I'm in the home stretch, so I should bend my back and put my nose to the grindstone. I have a second desktop machine which I haven't decided what I'm going to use it for. I'm thinking I should install Linux and Kodi and work on my woefully pitiful Linux skills. Beyond that, I want to upgrade the CPU in my main desktop, but I won't have the money for that this month. That will involve some close combat operations, swapping out the old CPU, but nothing too odious.

So, in the meantime, I practice cooking, watch a lot of baseball, and try to keep my elbow in shape.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, skyking, jerry mcmasters, Emma, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
I like to draw but haven't felt motivated to do much lately. I know we have a member's art thread somewhere, might be more incentive to draw if I thought someone was going to see it.
The following 8 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bcat, Alan V, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, julep, Emma, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
At one time I was an art major.  Then I realized there's not much money in watercolor painting so I became a theatre design major......'cause there's soooo much more money in theatre design.   Tongue Wink   Bahahaha!   Aaaanyway, I would love to get back to watercolors and recently started doing some sketches to hone my skills.  I began sketching the cast of Downton Abby because the faces are so interesting and there's a ton of photos of the cast all over the internet.   Once I get back into the swing of things I'll begin do some watercolor portraits and landscapes.  I generally love to work wet-in-wet style which is very l loose and fast.  The Japanese are masters of this style of watercolor. 

I still have an old tube of Manganese Blue!  They took it off the art market several years ago. It's one of the most beautiful blue pigments around and if you have a small tube it's worth around $100 bucks.
                                                         T4618
The following 6 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
Well, my main loves are watching soccer and gymnastics, but since those are not happening anymore, I've enjoyed frequent pushes in the neighborhood. However, I have dropped a few bolts, so my rims are loose. But it'll be a while before a repair, so... I've always enjoyed social media. I've also become a much better reader. I'm juggling an ambulance history book, a David Sedaris book, and a health self-help book.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 4 users Like c172's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Bcat, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
currently working on my truck, mostly electronics and electrical upgrades. Building the home server. i used to do a lot of computer custom work. Hoping to go back to cycling soon.
The following 4 users Like skyking's post:
  • Hussein, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
Wood working and wood carving are a couple. Here is a bench that I built so that I'd have a dedicated space for doing the wood carving. I also built the tool chest in pic 2 for the larger carving tools and mallets. Pic 3 is a new portable chest that I built to take tools to and from my class/club which of course has been closed for awhile. Pic 4 is a mouse I carved, pic 5 is a wood spirit carved in the shape of a grape leaf. Pic 6 is a car with an xmas tree that I gave my wife as an xmas present a couple of years ago. I also do copper smithing but I'll save those pictures for another post.

[Image: ttv6aI9.jpg]
[Image: 4uctX9U.jpg]
[Image: 3GeORob.jpg]
[Image: ehe035L.jpg]
[Image: XyGcSi3.jpg]
[Image: wF0GTH6.jpg]
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

The hobby thread
Origami.

[Image: 91747963_2836949576398627_73335139189768...e=5EA8DC10]

[Image: 91424354_2836950033065248_64231591406123...e=5EA8E5E4]

[Image: 89482982_2802834479810137_37145682304848...e=5EA9611B]

[Image: 88346927_2777890645637854_60867394976874...e=5EAC1471]

And macro photography.

[Image: 90943403_2832563326837252_86716514386376...e=5EA942AF]

[Image: 89171579_2798516750241910_55754463528857...e=5EA94FEB]

[Image: IMG-20200330-164215.jpg]

[Image: 83519584_2702618536498399_31031818735771...e=5EAB66CE]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 10 users Like Vera's post:
  • skyking, Aroura, Dom, Deesse23, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Dancefortwo, Little Lunch, Antonio

The hobby thread

How about you?

You have fake fishies in an air aquarium? Just kidding, they are beautiful. I can barely keep my fresh water tetras and catfish happy. Cry
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Little Lunch

The hobby thread
Hobby? Reading, RPGs and training if something done in name of being healthy with only moderate pleasure counts as hobby.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 7 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • skyking, Aroura, Dom, jerry mcmasters, GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, Kim

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 06:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

How about you?

You have fake fishies in an air aquarium?  Just kidding, they are beautiful.  I can barely keep my fresh water tetras and catfish happy.   Cry

I fiddled with this for 2 years to get it perfectly balanced. I never clean it, and change half of the water maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It has just the right balance of types and size of fish, plants and beneficial bacteria to make a perfect little eco system. Some of the fish have been in there for 8+ years. They are thriving. It's fresh water. The colorful Tetras are genetically engineered, many generations ago the eggs were injected with coral genetic matter. They breed true to color.
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch, Kim, Antonio

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 06:36 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 06:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

How about you?

You have fake fishies in an air aquarium?  Just kidding, they are beautiful.  I can barely keep my fresh water tetras and catfish happy.   Cry

I fiddled with this for 2 years to get it perfectly balanced. I never clean it, and change half of the water maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It has just the right balance of types and size of fish, plants and beneficial bacteria to make a perfect little eco system. Some of the fish have been in there for 8+ years. They are thriving. The colorful ones are genetically engineered, many generations ago the eggs were injected with coral genetic matter. They breed true to color.

My first real job was in a department store. I noticed the fish department had lots of dead ones, and complaned to the person at the register. He asked if I wanted a job. Well, I sure wasn't expecting THAT but said "yes". He turned out to be the Department Manager. I cleaned the tanks, got the dead fish out, set up displays of self-contained tanks, showed how to mate bettas and gouramis, and he was fired. I was 2nd in line to the Asst Manager who told the Corporate what I was doing.

They closed down the department for reasons but offerred me a Management position in their best store (in NJ) but I was still going for my Govt&Politics BA. Interesting to think how things might have gone had I accepted their offer. I might be seriously rich, or a busted up old guy working a department store floor.

I stayed at college and did great. How many people have inventoried the Oval Office, after all?

But I still keep fish.
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Little Lunch, Antonio

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 06:50 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 06:36 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 06:14 PM)Cavebear Wrote: You have fake fishies in an air aquarium?  Just kidding, they are beautiful.  I can barely keep my fresh water tetras and catfish happy.   Cry

I fiddled with this for 2 years to get it perfectly balanced. I never clean it, and change half of the water maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It has just the right balance of types and size of fish, plants and beneficial bacteria to make a perfect little eco system. Some of the fish have been in there for 8+ years. They are thriving. The colorful ones are genetically engineered, many generations ago the eggs were injected with coral genetic matter. They breed true to color.

My first real job was in a department store.   I noticed the fish department had lots of dead ones, and complaned to the person at the register.  He asked if I wanted a job.  Well, I sure wasn't expecting THAT but said "yes".  He turned out to be the Department Manager.  I cleaned the tanks, got the dead fish out, set up displays of self-contained tanks, showed how to mate bettas and gouramis, and he was fired.  I was 2nd in line to the Asst Manager who told the Corporate what I was doing.  

They closed down the department for reasons but offerred me a Management position in their best store (in NJ) but I was still going for my Govt&Politics BA.  Interesting to think how things might have gone had I accepted their offer.  I might be seriously rich, or a busted up old guy working a department store floor.

I stayed at college and did great.  How many people have inventoried the Oval Office, after all?

But I still keep fish.

Oh man, don't get me started on department store fish. Worst one I saw was Walmart. Poor little fishies, they don't stand a chance there.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Antonio

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 07:07 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 06:50 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 06:36 PM)Dom Wrote: I fiddled with this for 2 years to get it perfectly balanced. I never clean it, and change half of the water maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It has just the right balance of types and size of fish, plants and beneficial bacteria to make a perfect little eco system. Some of the fish have been in there for 8+ years. They are thriving. The colorful ones are genetically engineered, many generations ago the eggs were injected with coral genetic matter. They breed true to color.

My first real job was in a department store.   I noticed the fish department had lots of dead ones, and complaned to the person at the register.  He asked if I wanted a job.  Well, I sure wasn't expecting THAT but said "yes".  He turned out to be the Department Manager.  I cleaned the tanks, got the dead fish out, set up displays of self-contained tanks, showed how to mate bettas and gouramis, and he was fired.  I was 2nd in line to the Asst Manager who told the Corporate what I was doing.  

They closed down the department for reasons but offerred me a Management position in their best store (in NJ) but I was still going for my Govt&Politics BA.  Interesting to think how things might have gone had I accepted their offer.  I might be seriously rich, or a busted up old guy working a department store floor.

I stayed at college and did great.  How many people have inventoried the Oval Office, after all?

But I still keep fish.

Oh man, don't get me started on department store fish. Worst one I saw was Walmart. Poor little fishies, they don't stand a chance there.

I was the person who saved them, got them to people who cared, and even brought home some sick ones to nurture in Malachite green and Methylene blue.  After I started at the store, no one ever saw a sick fish.  Now I have cats.  More complicated and more challenging.

BTW, I have some of the last fish from my local Walmart. They thrive here.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, Bcat

The hobby thread
(04-01-2020, 03:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I like to draw but haven't felt motivated to do much lately.  I know we have a member's art thread somewhere, might be more incentive to draw if I thought someone was going to see it.

I can’t draw at all, but for some reason I have decided to make a daily stick person drawing in my current notebook.  The results are horrible, but relaxing.  

I don’t check out the members’ art thread much, but I know there is one; it would be nice to see it become more active.  

I’m unhappy that all the jigsaw puzzles in our house have been completed.  If only there was a way to get more...

Other hobbies this spring will include cleaning up our yard and finally getting an al fresco dining situation going on the patio, maybe break out the horseshoes and other yard games.
god, ugh

The hobby thread
(04-02-2020, 12:55 AM)julep Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I like to draw but haven't felt motivated to do much lately.  I know we have a member's art thread somewhere, might be more incentive to draw if I thought someone was going to see it.

I can’t draw at all, but for some reason I have decided to make a daily stick person drawing in my current notebook.  The results are horrible, but relaxing.  

I don’t check out the members’ art thread much, but I know there is one; it would be nice to see it become more active.  

I’m unhappy that all the jigsaw puzzles in our house have been completed.  If only there was a way to get more...

Other hobbies this spring will include cleaning up our yard and finally getting an al fresco dining situation going on the patio, maybe break out the horseshoes and other yard games.

Amazon sells a ton of jigsaw puzzles. And there are free online ones, too.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • julep

The hobby thread
(04-02-2020, 01:08 AM)Dom Wrote:

Amazon sells a ton of jigsaw puzzles. And there are free online ones, too.

I’ll check out the online ones (I’m curious about how that work and whether it would satisfy the physical  stim I get from doing them and running the pieces through my fingers.  

While I was kind of joking about not knowing where I could get jigsaw puzzles, unfortunately until our bank account gets some bumps from stimulus checks, university room and board refunds, etc., we aren’t going to be spending on anything extra.  My husband’s car died unexpectedly on a grocery run tonight, we had to have it towed back home and will soon have to have it towed to the repair shop...annoying times.  All extra $ are going to alcohol, rainy year, and my son’s first apartment funds. 
Not puzzles, although in terms of bang for buck, puzzles are great.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Dom

The hobby thread
Yoga, meditation, writing poetry, watching movies, reading, fashion, home decorating, board games, and spending time with my animals-including my new kitten Smile I recently bought a camera to attempt my hand at photography but that was right before the shelter in place order and so I haven't really been able to take any nature photographs like I wanted to during scenic walks, pretty scenery etc.
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Dom, OakTree500, Little Lunch

The hobby thread

Shoot me your address in pm I'll send you a care package of puzzles.
The following 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23, Dom

The hobby thread
Hobbies?  Holy cats.  Well, there is the music... I mainly play bass, although I'm not incapable on guitar, keyboards and theremin.
[Image: LRG_5228.JPG]
[Image: 32877998313_8134f47403_h.jpg]

Then there are the fountain pens, which I collect and when I can, restore:
[Image: 30463924360_af09262348_h.jpg]

And the photography:
[Image: 38260866224_838105696f_h.jpg]

I also collect uranium glass:
[Image: 37920205525_7ffd286f79_h.jpg]

...and coins:
[Image: 30551800288_487fa83d3f_h.jpg]
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 8 users Like trdsf's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, Deesse23, Bcat, Dom, Little Lunch, skyking

The hobby thread
A hobby of mine would be running I suppose, although i havn't done it in a little while due to the lockdown [even though I am allowed outside to do that.....I end up being tired from actually working all day from home lol.].

Outside of that, I collect pro wrestling action figures [although that may be more habit than hobby haha] and try and keep up with gaming and stuff. Nothing too crazy otherwise Smile

Is reading a hobby? if so, then that as well Smile
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat, Dom, Little Lunch

The hobby thread
I take naps.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dānu, Little Lunch, Antonio