Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where were you? First Moon Landing.

(03-31-2020, 12:16 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I was just starting AIT at Ft. Gordon, GA. My company was given the day off so we could watch the event on TV. One of the things that struck me was the lack of excitement by those watching, as if they were merely viewing a Sci-fi film. I would be slogging around in the rice paddies of Vietnam a few months later.
I got in-country on Jan. 14th. Reported to my boat group in Saigon and we took them up river. Took two days to get to the Tonle Sap from there.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

We landed on the moon??  You're kidding!  Shock

We didn't have a TV and I would have been outside climbing a tree or playing in a meadow somewhere so I have no recollection of it at all.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Fireball, Deesse23

I was but a gleam in ma's eye.
Seriously, it was all faked. In a studio in Burbank. I know. I been ta Burbank.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu

It was the end of the berry season. My folks had planted the first 4 rows of what would ultimately be 13 acres of Willamette raspberries in central Washington. I don't recall the details but I am sure we watched the TV that afternoon and evening. Berry picking was all done before the noontime heat.

(03-31-2020, 11:37 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: We landed on the moon??  You're kidding!  Shock

We didn't have a TV and I would have been outside climbing a tree or playing in a meadow somewhere so I have no recollection of it at all.

It was in all the papers......

[Image: 6753153557_bf270ac6f8_b.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • skyking, Fireball, Deesse23

I was visiting my grandparents at the time with the parents. My grandfather was astonished. He had seen the film of the Wright Brothers flying a few hundred yards as a child and had been amazed. And had lived to see people getting to The Moon.

I was expecting it, having grown up with the goal of getting to The Moon. He hadn't. I think I might have learned more about the changes that happen in one's lifetime that day than any other. I was expecting it and he had lived before even air flight was possible.

And he died just a few years older than I am now (well most of us do). He thought he had lived through the most amazing age possible. Keep in mind that that was WWI, The Great Depression, WWII, McCarthyism, Korea War, and Vietnam War. And he died thinking we humans were worth keeping around and were getting better.

I miss him...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Gawdzilla Sama, Alan V

Watching on TV. I was 5; we had just gotten a color TV the year before. The phrase "Tranquility Base - the Eagle has landed" chokes me up to this day.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Minimalist, Gawdzilla Sama

Otterburn Heights, Quebec, watching with my parents and younger brother on a 1950s-vintage black-and-white TV. I was a couple of weeks away from my 12th birthday.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama