Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americans: AMA about the stimulus package and associated legislation/regulation

A large portion of my job is tracking and understanding the federal government's response to all this, which includes Congress but also the various government agencies. I receive early drafts and provisions before the news, because I'm very special and cool. 

AMA if you're curious. if I know it I'll tell you.

I'm pretty busy as all of this is just fucking constant, so it may take me a while to come back and revisit this thread.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • skyking, Aroura

Since I know jack shit about it, broad strokes please.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Pics or it didn't happen.

I'm very interested

What percentage of the package do you understand to be legitimately "reaction to the current Coronavirus situation to get the US back to normal" and what percentage do you understand to be, from each party, "let's add stuff that fits our agenda but can be passed off nominally as legit reaction to the current Coronavirus situation to get the US back to normal."

I realize that's a question loaded with political connotations and opinion, lol.

Is it true that the slush fund got changed so the Sec of Treasury can't give it to his friends, and is it true, none goes to the Trumps ?
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Tres Leches

I hope Trump employees don't get screwed.

(03-27-2020, 02:59 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I hope Trump employees don't get screwed.

Again, you mean?

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre...of-workers

(03-27-2020, 02:59 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I hope Trump employees don't get screwed.

They got that when they went to work for the prick.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Chas

(03-27-2020, 04:32 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

They got that when they went to work for the prick.

Come on, that's ridiculous.

When the self employed apply for unemployment, as I assume my son in law will have to (runs a small appliance repair business), are they just taking your last 1040 filing and dividing net profit by 52 to get your weekly benefit? What if you started the business partway through the tax year, or revenue has been on a sharp upward trend in the current year? My guess is that is too quick and dirty to have much nuance and truly replace current / likely revenue during the crisis. It'll be fine if income patterns are steady, less so for seasonal businesses, and potentially way off the mark for recently started businesses or businesses with sharp upward trends in revenue.

Will there be a 2nd stimulus package?

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

I hope he doesn't screw them over, either. A self-proclaimed billionaire should not shift the burden of taking care of his employees to the US government.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(Yesterday, 12:04 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

I hope he doesn't screw them over, either. A self-proclaimed billionaire should not shift the burden of taking care of his employees to the US government.

-Teresa

No, Teresa, fuck them.  The dumb asshole waitstaff who seven years ago was hired at a Trump restaurant in Las Vegas and is now head waiter should have known what she was getting into. Confused
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches

(Yesterday, 12:46 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:04 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

-Teresa

No, Teresa, fuck them.  The dumb asshole waitstaff who seven years ago was hired at a Trump restaurant in Las Vegas and is now head waiter should have known what she was getting into. Confused

Well, I know that's sarcasm there, jer.
Trump has made a career out of screwing over other people but I wouldn't wish economic ruin on any ordinary person who works full time to support their family.

-Teresa

(Yesterday, 01:47 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:46 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:04 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I hope he doesn't screw them over, either. A self-proclaimed billionaire should not shift the burden of taking care of his employees to the US government.

-Teresa

Well, I know that's sarcasm there, jer.
Trump has made a career out of screwing over other people but I wouldn't wish economic ruin on any ordinary person who works full time to support their family.

-Teresa

Is not. Dodgy   Smile
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches