Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visualizing the history of pandemics

While idly sheltering in place I came across this article which came out a few days ago.  Puts our current COVID-19 experience into some context.  I find the many visual approaches interesting and agree with them that our high density, urban lifestyle is certainly helping the microbial tribes in their war on us.

Sorry, all of my attempts to post excerpts have been scrambled messes.  But I encourage you to take a look if you haven't seen this yet.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history...XPN9iWI9B0
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 5 users Like Mark's post:
  • Phaedrus, Minimalist, brewerb, Chas, Alan V

(03-18-2020, 09:35 AM)Mark Wrote: While idly sheltering in place I came across this article which came out a few days ago.  Puts our current COVID-19 experience into some context.  I find the many visual approaches interesting and agree with them that our high density, urban lifestyle is certainly helping the microbial tribes in their war on us.

Sorry, all of my attempts to post excerpts have been scrambled messes.  But I encourage you to take a look if you haven't seen this yet.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history...XPN9iWI9B0

Yup.  I'm still reading  a book about the Bubonic Plague called, The Great Mortality by John Kelly. It's extremely detailed.  Most experts think it started in China when a large earthquake violently shook  part of China which was known to have rats and other vermin which carried disease.  These critter's homes were upended by the earthquakes and scattered them into near by villiages.  At this time China was beginning to trade goods with the new social class of merchants throughout Italy and the rest of Europe, so boats bearing Chinese and Middle Eastern goods were docking all along the Mediterranean ports.

Prior to this the population in Europe surged.  One key reason was the invention of new kind of yolk that was used on plow horses and oxen.  The old yolk pressed against the chest of the animal leaving it gasping for breath every few steps.  The new yolk pressed agianst the shoulders instead and allowed the horse or oxen to breath freely making it faster and easier to plow a much larger field.  An unnamed farmer also got the bright idea to put shoehorses on their plowhorse which also made it easier to plow a field.  The horse had more traction.   These little inventions made for greater crop yeild.  More food made for less malnutrition and greater survival.  Women were more fertile and they had healthier babies.  Because of this the population grew in towns and villiages all across Europe and people were living closer together than previously.  

It was a freakishly perfect storm for disease to wreak havoc and kill 200 million.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, Alan V

yoke for plowing
yolk for eggs
yokel for bumpkin-ing
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Mark

I saw this graphic yesterday on another site. Let's hope, and work towards making sure, that the current virus doesn't create a bigger blob on the chart.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Mark

there's no doubt that modern medicine is going to win out, but part of that is safe practices. I hear people complaining about personal freedoms and reach through the internet and slap them silly if I can.