Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite sports order to play.

Now:

1. Soccer.
2. Hockey.
3. Volleyball
4. Basketball.
5. Football (haven't played for a long time though).

As a kid:

1. Hockey.
2. Soccer.
3. Football.
4. Basketball.
5. Baseball.
6. Volleyball.
7. Handball.

I also swim and go to the gym, but take that more as a way of taking care of myself.
The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • Mark

O yeah Teak Kwon Do as a kid. Forgot to put that.

Nowadays, my favorite sport is discovering new music on Spotify.

I gave up on playing sports after the second knee surgery caused by a football injury in the eighth grade. These days I watch golf on TV.

(03-01-2020, 05:11 PM)Alan V Wrote: I gave up on playing sports after the second knee surgery caused by a football injury in the eighth grade.  These days I watch golf on TV.

I like TV golf. Especially when it's raining and I can't do anything better. 
I like Wee golf too ... that's a very fun game ... Of course you memorize the holes and get very good at it. But it's fun. 
The best real (fake) exercise is Wee tennis .. you have to move. It's good for you.
I always thought golf was stupid, "go for a walk and push a ball around too" ... now I have to eat those words. 
I wish we could take the dog to the course. That would be even better. My sort-of-but-growing-out-of-it autistic brother loves golf. 
That's a really good thing.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V

(03-01-2020, 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 05:11 PM)Alan V Wrote: I gave up on playing sports after the second knee surgery caused by a football injury in the eighth grade.  These days I watch golf on TV.

I like Wee golf too ... that's a very fun game ... Of course you memorize the holes and get very good at it. But it's fun. 
The best real (fake) exercise is Wee tennis .. you have to move. It's good for you.
I always thought golf was stupid, "go for a walk and push a ball around too" ... now I have to eat those words. 
I wish we could take the dog to the course. That would be even better. My sort-of-but-growing-out-of-it autistic brother loves golf. 

Wee golf ... indeed. LOL
Sometime after I posted this I thought "did you really say *wee* golf ?
As in "just a little bit of golf".
It's Wii golf. Doh.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V

(03-02-2020, 03:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

Wee golf ... indeed. LOL
Sometime after I posted this I thought "did you really say *wee* golf ?
As in "just a little bit of golf".
It's Wii golf. Doh.

I knew what you meant.    Sun

As a teenager:

Cross country running
Track & Field running

When I was a younger adult before forty:

Jogging

Now that I am over forty and feel as though my body is falling apart:

Nada

Well, it's not a sport but I take ballet classes.  Still pretty good at the jumps.  I also take yoga three days a week.  I walk a lot.  When the weather is decent I ride my bike to do errands.  None of these are sports, they're more like activities.  I'm planning on taking an evening, 50 minute walk in an hour or so.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking, Mark

frisbee was always a big thing growing up in the 60's and 70s
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Mark

(03-03-2020, 01:11 AM)skyking Wrote: frisbee was always a big thing growing up in the 60's and 70s

Frisbee golf is something I've done before and should look into continuing.  No worry of blowing out an ankle or knee.  A lot of skill involved, plus brisk walking and outdoors.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Mark

wc track/field and road racing as kid. Went to an adaptive sports camp as a kid at U. of Illinois and flirted with tennis, quad rugby, swimming, archery and others.

At 44, my metabolism has crashed, as has my general health, so I do watch sports. Primarily soccer, and also gymnastics, but fleetingly other things.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • skyking

Up through school days I played most all the major sports in season but my best sport up until 7th grade (when we moved from San Diego to the east coast) was handball. I could beat my older brother and everyone at my grade level. Good thing, because I wasn't much good at anything else until much later.

After leaving school I played in adult softball and half court basketball leagues (at a very low level). Then at about 25 my interests changed and I skateboarded a lot, did a little bouldering and cave exploring. I used to throw a lot of frisbee including frisbee golf and liked kicking hacky sack and learning juggling tricks. Ping pong was an obsession for a while. I did kick some ass in badminton.

Lia and I went from doing a cross Sierras hike and other respectable back pack trips to canoe and car camping. Now, screw that: sleeping is challenging without being ridiculous about it.

Now my wrists, thumbs, knees and hips are arthritic as hell. My sports are pilates, stationary bike and weight machines. Oh and I throw the ball for my younger dog every day with a chucker. My ambition after replacing enough joints is to be able to take long walks with my dogs and Lia again. It would be enough.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Link

(03-03-2020, 03:42 AM)Mark Wrote: Now my wrists, thumbs, knees and hips are arthritic as hell.  My sports are pilates, stationary bike and weight machines.  Oh and I throw the ball for my younger dog every day with a chucker.  My ambition after replacing enough joints is to be able to take long walks with my dogs and Lia again.  It would be enough.

I'm sorry to hear Mark.  But at least you still active! How about swimming? That's what my Mom does now.

I swim as well.

(03-04-2020, 03:45 PM)Link Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 03:42 AM)Mark Wrote: Now my wrists, thumbs, knees and hips are arthritic as hell.  My sports are pilates, stationary bike and weight machines.  Oh and I throw the ball for my younger dog every day with a chucker.  My ambition after replacing enough joints is to be able to take long walks with my dogs and Lia again.  It would be enough.

I'm sorry to hear Mark.  But at least you still active! How about swimming? That's what my Mom does now.

I swim as well.

I've just never been comfortable swimming laps.  I can enjoy being in the water and move around with a number of home grown strokes.  But you would not like to have me in the lane beside you veering off in every direction.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Link

(03-04-2020, 03:49 PM)Mark Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 03:45 PM)Link Wrote:

I swim as well.

I've just never been comfortable swimming laps.  I can enjoy being in the water and move around with a number of home grown strokes.  But you would not like to have me in the lane beside you veering off in every direction.

It takes a while before you can swim laps consistently. I'm working on that, and still can't keep up with most of the swimmers.
The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • Mark

Damn Cornovirus-19 has ruined my sport life!

I'm going to start regular biking to replace my regular gym visits. Perfectly compatible with the coronavirus.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Link

(03-22-2020, 03:34 PM)Dānu Wrote: I'm going to start regular biking to replace my regular gym visits.  Perfectly compatible with the coronavirus.

I can do that, but I have to dress really warm for the damn weather here.

1. Golf
2. Minigolf
3. Bicycling (which I do to and from work)

I might like to try curling some time. Generally speaking, though I don't do sports. The only football game I care about is the OSU-Michigan game, and the only time I ever expect to watch the Superbowl is if Cleveland is in it -- so I have no expectation of ever watching the Superbowl. World Series? Wake me when Cleveland's in it -- although I do want to go see the next time my Mud Hens play the Clippers here in town. Stanley Cup? Don't bother me even if my hometown team (Blue Jackets) is in it. Well, okay, I do follow the World Cup, and I need to go see the Crew play at Crew (fuck Mapfre) Stadium. Outside of that, I go to the practice rounds of the Memorial Tournament, the US Open Qualifier the following Monday, and the junior tour championship at OSU Scarlet -- and any other events that might come to town, like the Senior Open at Scioto a few years back.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Link