Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be kind to homeless people

Story time of how important listening to people is:

So today I had to head into the city despite the lock down happening here in Ireland. When I was done with what I had to get done, I wanted to quickly drop into the supermarket before heading back home.

In front of the supermarket, there was this woman (maybe early/mid 30s). She was sitting on the floor like many homeless people and holding a cup for change while continuously crying quietly. She was clearly in a huge amount of distress. And I understand! I don't usually carry around cash, because it makes me uncomfortable. So I headed into the shop, bought a warm meal, drink, fruit, and a candy for her. Thought it's better than nothing.
Headed back out and she was just sobbing so hard, she barely got a single word out. So I thought I'd stay a little bit.
Asked her if she wanted to talk a little.

She told me a bit about how she ended up on the street and what she was going through, how she was also scared with the virus going around, how people treat her in a mean and disrespectful manner, always assuming she wants the money for drugs when she really was just trying to collect enough to get a bed for the night at a hostel. She told me how she had come off her pill addiction and still remained clean. How hard it is to not get back into the addiction on the street. I let her her talk and listened to her, until she had spoken her mind and frustration and sadness, all of it. And the more she spoke the less she cried.

I know I can't do much, but listening actively, a few encouraging words (not empty), a hot meal, was really helpful for her.
She looked exhausted and tired and must have been crying for hours with her eyes all red and swollen.
I asked her how much she was missing for the hostel, then went and topped her up for that.
She started crying again: "How do I deserve this?"
So I reminded her that she is a human being with needs and that is why she deserves that.
Where has humanity gone that some people feel that they aren't even worthy of having their basic needs met - a bed, a shower for once, a bit of food.
I stuck around a little longer before I left and saw her leave towards the hostel before I got on the bus home.

All that people need sometimes is talk and just receive basic kindness. Live on the street is dangerous, especially for women. It is exhausting. Going to the free hostels for homeless people is dangerous because you get stabbed over a pair of shoes. These people never get a break and so they break. Please be kind to one another and don't look down judgmentally at homeless people. Most of us are one paycheck away from being in the same situation.

And this is, btw, not the first time I have taken some time to sit down and listen and talk with a homeless people. I do that occasionally, when I have some time to spare. So it is not the first time I encounter this scenario.
Had a similar thing happen about a year ago, around Christmas time with a homeless guy in front of another store. I gave him some food, then headed home to pack up some warm clothes I wanted to donate anyway. When I brought him those, he collapsed into my shoulder sobbing. He showed me a fresh wound where he had been attacked in the homeless shelter and told me that this was why he didn't want to stay there any more even if that meant he had to sleep on the street.

Also I am aware that some are just scam artists, but I trust my guts, they have not betrayed me so far. 

Anyway, please be kind to those around you. Everybody is human.
2+2=4
The following 6 users Like leerob's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dancefortwo, Aroura, skyking, TheGentlemanBastard, jerry mcmasters

Hug

(03-17-2020, 02:55 AM)leerob Wrote: Story time of how important listening to people is:

So today I had to head into the city despite the lock down happening here in Ireland. When I was done with what I had to get done, I wanted to quickly drop into the supermarket before heading back home.

In front of the supermarket, there was this woman (maybe early/mid 30s). She was sitting on the floor like many homeless people and holding a cup for change while continuously crying quietly. She was clearly in a huge amount of distress. And I understand! I don't usually carry around cash, because it makes me uncomfortable. So I headed into the shop, bought a warm meal, drink, fruit, and a candy for her. Thought it's better than nothing.
Headed back out and she was just sobbing so hard, she barely got a single word out. So I thought I'd stay a little bit.
Asked her if she wanted to talk a little.

She told me a bit about how she ended up on the street and what she was going through, how she was also scared with the virus going around, how people treat her in a mean and disrespectful manner, always assuming she wants the money for drugs when she really was just trying to collect enough to get a bed for the night at a hostel. She told me how she had come off her pill addiction and still remained clean. How hard it is to not get back into the addiction on the street. I let her her talk and listened to her, until she had spoken her mind and frustration and sadness, all of it. And the more she spoke the less she cried.

I know I can't do much, but listening actively, a few encouraging words (not empty), a hot meal, was really helpful for her.
She looked exhausted and tired and must have been crying for hours with her eyes all red and swollen.
I asked her how much she was missing for the hostel, then went and topped her up for that.
She started crying again: "How do I deserve this?"
So I reminded her that she is a human being with needs and that is why she deserves that.
Where has humanity gone that some people feel that they aren't even worthy of having their basic needs met - a bed, a shower for once, a bit of food.
I stuck around a little longer before I left and saw her leave towards the hostel before I got on the bus home.

All that people need sometimes is talk and just receive basic kindness. Live on the street is dangerous, especially for women. It is exhausting. Going to the free hostels for homeless people is dangerous because you get stabbed over a pair of shoes. These people never get a break and so they break. Please be kind to one another and don't look down judgmentally at homeless people. Most of us are one paycheck away from being in the same situation.

And this is, btw, not the first time I have taken some time to sit down and listen and talk with a homeless people. I do that occasionally, when I have some time to spare. So it is not the first time I encounter this scenario.
Had a similar thing happen about a year ago, around Christmas time with a homeless guy in front of another store. I gave him some food, then headed home to pack up some warm clothes I wanted to donate anyway. When I brought him those, he collapsed into my shoulder sobbing. He showed me a fresh wound where he had been attacked in the homeless shelter and told me that this was why he didn't want to stay there any more even if that meant he had to sleep on the street.

Also I am aware that some are just scam artists, but I trust my guts, they have not betrayed me so far. 

Anyway, please be kind to those around you. Everybody is human.

Can I like this 1000 times? Can I like you even more?  You are a wonderful person.    Heart

I gave money to a young homeless man of about 21 or so who was in a wheel chair. It was a freezing cold day. His right arm and leg had been amputated.  I gave him 20 US dollars. I wish I could have given him more but that's all I had on me.  I wanted to direct him to an agency who could help him because I'd think that someone with an amputated leg and arm would qualify for some sort of social aid but I didn't have any information to give him.  He was so young.  It was heartbreaking. 

I think I'll look up agencies, private or government, who help the handicap and if I see him again I'll call them and alert them to his situation.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • leerob

Such a lovely gesture mate.      Sun

And in actuality, a lot more than just a "gesture".  This could literally mean the
difference for her between surviving the virus or succumbing in the short term.

We have a similar social issue here in Australia with our homeless and/or street
people who have virtually no protection against the virus, or the means to be tested.
They go unnoticed every day—thousands of them across the capital cities of every
state.

Recently, I came across a guy dozing in a corner of an underground car park.  As
I approached him and he woke up, I could tell his first response was fear and then
aggression—until I displayed an obvious friendship demeanour.  I gave him a small
amount of money, and ended up chatting to him for some time—about all sorts of
stuff, and he was very articulate and had some interesting political opinions.

—I hope too Rob that you're going well too, especially considering the current state
of our planet.  I often think of you when I'm on this forum, and wonder how things
are going, so it was really nice to hear from you.

Take care mate.     Hug
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo, leerob, skyking