Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I turned off the news

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 03:02 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm just surprised to see Nixon ahead of so many.

He gets points for Paris.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

I turned off the news
Franklin Pierce.  Now there's an obscure president.  I have no idea what he did or when he was president.  I don't think I've ever heard a historian talk about him.
                                                         T4618

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 03:15 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Franklin Pierce.  Now there's an obscure president.  I have no idea what he did or when he was president.  I don't think I've ever heard a historian talk about him.

Edit to add:  I googled Pierce.  From wikipedia: 

Quote:Pierce was popular and outgoing, but his family life was a grim affair, with his wife Jane suffering from illness and depression for much of her life.[1] All of their children died young, their last son being gruesomely killed in a train accident while the family was traveling shortly before Pierce's inauguration. He was a heavy drinker for much of his life, and he died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1869. Historians and scholars generally rank Pierce as one of the worst and least memorable U.S. Presidents.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Tres Leches

I turned off the news
[Image: BB100tom.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Dom

I turned off the news
The MSM news is not something I've tuned into for ages anyway, it's all just a show to distract us anyway.

That being said, it turns out what stresses me out is talking to other people. I'm currently finding the entire human race to be utterly depressing. Ice bergs shearing off, ocean full of plastic, people don't care. Well, not enough do.

It's enough to make me not want to get out of bed in the morning.

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 05:13 PM)Aroura Wrote: The MSM news is not something I've tuned into for ages anyway, it's all just a show to distract us anyway.

That being said, it turns out what stresses me out is talking to other people.  I'm currently finding the entire human race to be utterly depressing.  Ice bergs shearing off, ocean full of plastic, people don't care.  Well, not enough do.

It's enough to make me not want to get out of bed in the morning.

For perspective take a look at Dickens. Victorian England only had the MSM, the air was a lovely brown color and medicine had just discovered chloroform.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Tres Leches, Alan V

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 03:50 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I just wanted to post one last thing in this thread.  It is with great pleasure, on this President's Day weekend, to post the rankings of the presidents from best to worst, according to a national survey by the American Political Scientist Association. 

1: Abraham Lincoln
2: George Washington
3: Franklin Delano Roosevelt
4: Teddy Roosevelt
5: Thomas Jefferson
6: Harry Truman
7: Dwight Eisenhower
8: Barack Obama
9: Ronald Reagan
10: Lyndon B. Johnson
11: Woodrow Wilson
12: James Madison
13: Bill Clinton
14: John Adams
15: Andrew Jackson
16: John F. Kennedy
17: George H.W. Bush
18: James Monroe
19: William McKinley
20: James Polk
21: Ulysses S. Grant
22: William Howard Taft
23: John Quincy Adams
24: Grover Cleveland
25: Gerald Ford
26: Jimmy Carter
27: Martin Van Buren
28: Calvin Coolidge
29: Rutherford B. Hayes
30: George W. Bush
31: Chester Arthur
32: Benjamin Harrison
33: Richard Nixon
34: James Garfield
35: Zachary Taylor
36: Herbert Hoover
37: John Tyler
38: Millard Fillmore
39: Warren Harding
40: Andrew Johnson
41: Franklin Pierce
42: William Harrison
43: James Buchanan
44: Donald Trump <---------------------------BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!        

I would put Saint "trickle-down economics" Ronnie more towards the bottom.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Dancefortwo, julep

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 03:30 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: BB100tom.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f]

Jesus H. Christ, I'm eating breakfast for god's sake.   Barf

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

• skyking, Dānu

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 06:37 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: I would put Saint "trickle-down economics" Ronnie more towards the bottom.

-Teresa

Full points for honesty, however. He forthrightly demonstrated that he was owned by plutocrats. Whistling
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Tres Leches

I turned off the news
Today is going to be my catch up on the news day. If Putin fires missiles at San Francisco tomorrow, I guess I'll find out by word of mouth or next weekend.

-Teresa

The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Mark

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 06:40 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(02-15-2020, 06:37 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: I would put Saint "trickle-down economics" Ronnie more towards the bottom.

-Teresa

Full points for honesty, however. He forthrightly demonstrated that he was owned by plutocrats.  Whistling

He opened the door for the current potus, who boastfully does the same.

-Teresa

• Gawdzilla Sama, Mark

I turned off the news
I don't feel any need to tune out the news, but I have tuned out whatever is going on in the "2020 US candidates" thread. I can easily live without that.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I turned off the news
(02-15-2020, 03:50 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I just wanted to post one last thing in this thread.  It is with great pleasure, on this President's Day weekend, to post the rankings of the presidents from best to worst, according to a national survey by the American Political Scientist Association. 

The only one I had a doubt about was #26.  But after thinking about it some more I have to agree that he wasn't so effective while in office; but if they ranked ex-presidents from best to worst I'd put Carter at #1.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I turned off the news
(02-16-2020, 03:27 PM)Mark Wrote:

The only one I had a doubt about was #26.  But after thinking about it some more I have to agree that he wasn't so effective while in office; but if they ranked ex-presidents from best to worst I'd put Carter at #1.

It seems like Carter was one of the most honest presidents we've had but he didn't have the clout to get anything passed except for his Camp David agreement.  In many ways he was ahead of his times.  He tried to promote solar energy and had some solar panels installed at the White House.  Most people laughed and scoffed at him when he did this.  Today he lives in a modest house and lives the simple life with his wife.   He is one of the very few people whom  (who?)  I would call a true Christian.  Mr. Rogers was another one.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Deesse23, Mark

I turned off the news
(02-16-2020, 04:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: It seems like Carter was one of the most honest presidents we've had but he didn't have the clout to get anything passed except for his Camp David agreement.  In many ways he was ahead of his times.  He tried to promote solar energy and had some solar panels installed at the White House.  Most people laughed and scoffed at him when he did this.  Today he lives in a modest house and lives the simple life with his wife.   He is one of the very few people whom  (who?)  I would call a true Christian.  Mr. Rogers was another one.

I'm not really sure exactly what it takes to be a 'good' Christian but I'd rank those two, Mr. Rogers and Carter, right up there with Bill Moyers as my favorite/most interesting Christians at least.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Tres Leches

I turned off the news
Carter's flaw was that he was too idealistic to deal with DC slime.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Tres Leches