Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infuriatingly Repetitive Ads on YouTube

Okay, I finally need to get this off my chest.  Is it just me, or have YouTube ads gotten extra repetitive lately?  You know that song that sounded pretty good the first couple times you heard it but then quickly became the bane of your existence due to sheer radio saturation? Yeah, how about that, except that you didn't even particularly like the first few iterations either?  For example, has anyone else reached the point where they just want to rip that James guy's head off whenever he opens his yap about Dr. Squatch's natural soaps?  Does anyone else want to scream when you hear that stupid Vrbo ad that tries to disguise itself as some inspirational PSA about society's growing preoccupation with social media?  Look, I know both the sellers and the advertisers need to make money, and there is such a thing as the mere exposure effect in psychology, but I feel like it's been taken way too far.  I feel like I'm actually less inclined to patronize the relevant businesses simply because I'm so sick of hearing about them.  If even the obligatory five seconds make a significant number of people fantasize about killing either themselves or the people involved in the production of the commercial, I think that's a pretty good sign that you're doing something wrong!   I shouldn't have these ads f**kin' memorized!

It's not like this would be particularly hard to fix either.  YouTube could just keep track of how many times a particular user has seen a particular ad and curtail further iterations after a certain maximum count has been reached.

I swear to the God I don't even believe in, if I see one more Vrbo or Dr. Squatch ad in particular, I just might blow a gasket and go postal!  I GET THE MESSAGE!  NOW CAN THEY PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF THE FSM, SHUT THE F**K UP?!
The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. - Carl Sagan
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν τῇ φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστὶν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις. - Κᾱ́ρολος Σήγανος

Ad Block Plus. No you tube ads. Big Grin
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ

I utterly detest all ads.

I used to put the tv on and mute it when the ads started.  Sometimes 40 minutes would go by before I remembered to turn the sound back on.  Now it has gotten to the point where I don't even turn it on during the day.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

As Block Plus and Youtube is ad free. I can't imagine why someone willingly exposes themselves to the ads on that channel.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

I don't do ads. If they're embedded in the video, I look elsewhere.

Now if only I could burn down every goddamned billboard alongside Texas 71.

I'm running uBlock as well as AdBlock Plus.

https://ublock.org/

uBlock is a little more user selective, in that you can block specific ad elements on the trot.     Nod
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

It's not just youtube. Cable TV has developed this A, B, C, A routine. The first commercial is repeated at the end. Well, at least that tells me when the show is about to come back on...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(01-15-2020, 09:49 PM)Glossophile Wrote: Okay, I finally need to get this off my chest.  Is it just me, or have YouTube ads gotten extra repetitive lately?  You know that song that sounded pretty good the first couple times you heard it but then quickly became the bane of your existence due to sheer radio saturation? Yeah, how about that, except that you didn't even particularly like the first few iterations either?  For example, has anyone else reached the point where they just want to rip that James guy's head off whenever he opens his yap about Dr. Squatch's natural soaps?  Does anyone else want to scream when you hear that stupid Vrbo ad that tries to disguise itself as some inspirational PSA about society's growing preoccupation with social media?  Look, I know both the sellers and the advertisers need to make money, and there is such a thing as the mere exposure effect in psychology, but I feel like it's been taken way too far.  I feel like I'm actually less inclined to patronize the relevant businesses simply because I'm so sick of hearing about them.  If even the obligatory five seconds make a significant number of people fantasize about killing either themselves or the people involved in the production of the commercial, I think that's a pretty good sign that you're doing something wrong!   I shouldn't have these ads f**kin' memorized!

It's not like this would be particularly hard to fix either.  YouTube could just keep track of how many times a particular user has seen a particular ad and curtail further iterations after a certain maximum count has been reached.

I swear to the God I don't even believe in, if I see one more Vrbo or Dr. Squatch ad in particular, I just might blow a gasket and go postal!  I GET THE MESSAGE!  NOW CAN THEY PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF THE FSM, SHUT THE F**K UP?!

uBlock Origin + SponsorBlock

If that's not enough use Invidious instead of youtube.com.

Interesting that I haven't heard anyone here mention SponsorBlock (or Invidious) - SponsorBlock automatically skips in-video sponsor/ad segments (they need to be manually added to the database so it won't work on all new videos, and won't work on a LOT of old ones either but it still vastly improves the viewing experience).

(01-16-2020, 04:58 AM)SYZ Wrote: I'm running uBlock as well as AdBlock Plus.

https://ublock.org/

uBlock is a little more user selective, in that you can block specific ad elements on the trot.     Nod

That's not uBlock Origin, don't use it. uBlock Origin is a Firefox Recommended Extension (in fact it's the most popular of all the FF Recommended Extensions), whereas ABP and "uBlock" are not:

[Image: wDDyBzQ.png]

Also ABP, Adblock, and uBlock are all commercially operated software owned by Eyeo. uBlock was sold to Eyeo in 2018 (note that the date on their own website is wrong, the correct date is 22 June 2018) after years of stagnant development:

[Image: Uj2ZOIp.png]

If you must use an Eyeo product because you believe in Acceptable Ads, use only Adblock Plus. There's really no point in using one of their other products as that's the one that is actually developed. However I suggest you uninstall both extensions and install only uBlock Origin. It actually functions properly as a in-browser security suite (firewall) whereas Eyeo products do not.