Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why faith fails

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 11:20 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 06:40 PM)Drich Wrote: Why faith fails is a subject kinda tied to the last one on why bad things happen to 'good' people. 

Christians are the ones who have built their houses on sand.  Some lose their faith when they realise that their God is no different from Gandalf.  Both are fictional creations and invoking either of them in your times of need will achieve nothing.

P.S.  Sadcryface   Listening to a man droning on in a boring monotone is enough to challenge anyone's faith.

isn't this what I said in the video?

the wind and the rain are there to proof your understanding or idea of God. That is you worship a false version like say a gandalf because he does not exist he can not help you. And the God of the bible will not help you in anyway you want so as to not re enforce your false god.

The great lie of this generation is if there is a God he will meet you half way if you just do your best. so people try worshiping gandalf it fails and they assume if God existed surly he would have helped me the center of my mom's universe.

The boring monotone say Ah, no. according to this parable you meet God on his terms or not at all. (this having to do with proof of God/answered prayers and relationship) not salvation. One can be saved and never know God. Christ commends people like this and says there will be great reward for them. However for everyone else God has set up an one on one if you meet him on his terms. fore going the need for group think/scientific proof.

If God sat or even sent an angel to sit with you for 20 mins answered every question you had without asking them, told you of your life past present and future and conversed with you without you saying anything out loud, would you need 'science' to tell you it was ok to believe in God?

why faith fails
The problem is associating something to a god that has never been proven to exist.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: For thousands of years, billions of believers have stomped their impotent little feet, and insisted *their* gods were real.
They were all wrong. Drich is not special. The most reliable predictor of which god(s) someone will believe in, is the culture one is born in to.

Yes, but some of us escape. Intelligence also matters.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

why faith fails
As you can see, Drich is no Christian.
He contradicts what Jesus told them.
There is no Christian community that buys into this heretical nonsense of this liar, claiming he's a Christian.
Not even a non-denominational one. His own community would disown him and kick him out if they saw this crap he posts.
He's a deist, not a theist.

de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
noun
noun: deism
belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind.

John 14:13-14 - 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

What we *are* seeing, is the source of his anger and mental illness. His god does nothing. He expects more.
Drich is on his way to atheism. The reason he hangs around atheist sites, is .... he knows hw doesn't believe in the great useless sky fairy.
Test

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: As you can see, Drich is no Christian.
There is no Christian community that buys into this heretical nonsense of this liar, claiming he's a Christian.
No even a non-denominational one. His own community would disown him and kick him out if they saw this crap he posts.

de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
noun
belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind.

John 14:13-14  - 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

What we *are* seeing, is the source of his anger and mental illness. His god does nothing. He expects more.
Drich is on his way to atheism. The reason he hangs around atheist sites, is .... he knows hw doesn't believe in the great useless sky fairy.

Theists are all whack... Do any of them REALLY believe or are they just scared out of their minds about HELL? Or really actually dying. That's what seems to push their buttons.

why faith fails
Drich's position is self contradictory. His "non-intervening" god, according to his own belief system, intervened (helped mankind), by sending his son to save him, and atone for sin. THAT alone contradicts his deist position. Non-denominationalists are Evangelical Protestants.

"Nondenominational congregations experienced significant and continuous growth in the 21st century, particularly in the United States. If combined into a single group, nondenominational churches collectively would represented the third-largest Christian grouping in the United States in 2010, after the Roman Catholic Church and Southern Baptist Convention."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondenomin...ristianity
Test

why faith fails
(01-15-2020, 11:58 PM)grympy Wrote: I can only speak for myself.

My strong Irish Catholic faith  began to fail when  I reached the age of reason(about 12) and started questioning some of the more absurd claims.  EG original sin, limbo, the trinity, papal infallibility and like that.
I think the RC church is christian my proclamation only. it's teaching center around papal authority and not the teachings of Christ.
Original sin doctrine not found in the bible
limbo never mentioned in the bible
papal infallibility never mention in the bible, in fact peter the first supposed pope was fraught with error and was constantly being corrected by Christ. Kinda ballsy to say one thinks he is better than an actual disciple who was directly taught by christ.

Quote:Stayed  that way  for some years.  Might have remained like that indefinitely  if anyone had given me anything approaching a rational  response.

My Father :  "Shut up" he would explain '

The  teachers at my catholic school "It's mystery of  faith, we just believe it"
the bible teaches the exact opposite. "1thess 5:21 question all things and hold on to what is good. this does not mean question the questionable, it also means to question the foundational. meaning those doctrines and beliefs/traditions that we are told not to question.
I have never had a question God has not given me an answer to. which is why i came to atheist sites 10 years ago. to ask your questions/something I would not think to ask so I could continue to learn. Which is now why I'm doing these boring videos. as they are the most asked questions people ask and don't normally get a detailed answer to.
Quote:Between   16 and 22 worked out that the Catholic church offered me nothing ,apart from guilt for being a human being .   So  I left, at age 21.
religion convicts, God free us from sin and shame.
Quote:For the next 20 years I searched for meaning , and  not just within Christianity.  I slowly found that NOT ONE supernatural claim  I encountered could withstand the simplest  analysis. By that  I mean  it could not answer THE  question; "Where  is the  proof"?

I searched the first 1/2 of my life and found only christianity had any real answers. The proof I sought was/is offered to everyone but only on god's terms.

why faith fails
Faith fails because it isn't real. That simple.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Oh look. Another spamy video spouting irrelevant Christian BS ... which NO ONE here cares about at all.  
If it fails, then it's the fault of their gods.

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:8

They really ought to read their Babble once in a while.

Drippy, you're far more entertaining with your batshit crazy inventions ... like tapping into the "nuclear energy" at the center of the Earth. LOL
not talking about salvation here dummy. watch the video.

I am speaking on relationship. why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof, while other languish and only get nothing.

It is possible to be saved and never hear from God. this video explains why. which is separate and apart from salvation... so wrong again. do you know anything at all about the christianity spelled out in the bible?

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 02:27 AM)Chimp3 Wrote: How faith fails is a better question.

the how faith fails is the answer to why it fails. meaning that explanation is what the video is about.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: The problem is associating something to a god that has never been proven to exist.

Yup.  This is something Drip has never done.  He lives in a neverending circular reasoning world.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:04 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:45 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:10 PM)brewerb Wrote: Don't you mean why faith in a fantasy delusion having an impact/effect on reality fails?

actually yes that is a part of the answer. how much did you watch before you figured that one out?

None. Why should I waste time on a fantasy that I don't find entertaining?

so you don't look like a douche propping up the OP unintentionally/being confused with supporting the christian.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 01:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Oh look. Another spamy video spouting irrelevant Christian BS ... which NO ONE here cares about at all.  

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:8

Drippy, you're far more entertaining with your batshit crazy inventions ... like tapping into the "nuclear energy" at the center of the Earth. LOL

I am speaking on relationship. why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof, while other languish and only get nothing.

It is possible to be saved and never hear from God. this video explains why. which is separate and apart from salvation... so wrong again. do you know anything at all about the christianity spelled out in the bible?

(01-16-2020, 04:18 PM)Drich Wrote: why some people like me are close to God and get daily affirmation and proof,

Personal experience isn't proof, dearie.  How many times do we have to tell you this?
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 06:28 AM)SYZ Wrote: Faith inevitably fails simply because it's absolute, uncritical and unchanging, and
therefore the exact opposite of open minded.

On the other hand, informed faith involves accepting the probable truth of
statements that are based on information one does not have full access to, but in
situations where one does have access to a reasonable amount of supporting evidence.

Religious faith requires no supporting evidence.

In areas of science, informed faith means trusting that researchers have built on
the same systems of experimentation and exploration that one has explored personally.
Additionally, the correct functioning of technological systems that depend on certain
explanations can provide the non-professional person with the underpinnings of informed faith.

And even 1 Corinthians 13:13 says of faith: 

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

—Ouch.     Facepalm

where does any of this conflict with what is said in the video?

I point out faith fails because there is a sharp lack of any evidence from one's idea of God. Then even go on to explain why that is and how to fix that problem.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 07:58 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 11:20 PM)brunumb Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 06:40 PM)Drich Wrote: Why faith fails is a subject kinda tied to the last one on why bad things happen to 'good' people. 

Christians are the ones who have built their houses on sand.  Some lose their faith when they realise that their God is no different from Gandalf.  Both are fictional creations and invoking either of them in your times of need will achieve nothing.

P.S.  Sadcryface   Listening to a man droning on in a boring monotone is enough to challenge anyone's faith.

The bad image of some bible page should be enough to embarrass the original poster...
why?

Quote: And after bothering to highlight and underline the pages too.  I crack up.
you should see the rest of the book. it is full of hilights notes and scribblings. I always thought this is what a well use book looks like.

why faith fails

Well, IS "christianity" actually spelled out in the bible? Can you give a reference?

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: The problem is associating something to a god that has never been proven to exist.

God is proven daily to billions.. only 2.4% of the population says there is no proof. It is more accurate to say god does not cater to this 2.4% who want Him to meet them on their terms.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: ... Drich's position is self contradictory ...

For a believer this only reinforces the validity of their belief:  Only a god could create a valid construct that doesn't hold together because it takes something powerful as a god TO hold it together.  Attempting to reconcile the inconsistencies and contradictions using pathetically puny human logic can only fail and, incidentally, angers the god.

I confess having indulged the temptation to talk reason with believers, in these threads and in life, and will probably keep doing it, but it's a futile exercise.

why faith fails
No even a non-denominational one. His own community would disown him and kick him out if they saw this crap he posts.

de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
noun

John 14:13-14  - 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

what did Jesus say that is contradictory to what i have said here?

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:21 PM)Drich Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:04 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:45 PM)Drich Wrote: actually yes that is a part of the answer. how much did you watch before you figured that one out?

None. Why should I waste time on a fantasy that I don't find entertaining?

so you don't look like a douche propping up the OP unintentionally/being confused with supporting the christian.

I'm know that you will read into my statement what you choose.

From my point of view, the douche is the one that believes fantasy is real.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:46 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
noun

Theists are all whack...  Do any of them REALLY believe or are they just scared out of their minds about HELL?  Or really actually dying.  That's what seems to push their buttons.

Hell as far as I am concerned I have experienced enough to know if I am sent there it is because I belong. I do not fear hell never have. I do not fear dying. prayed for death a few times in my life, even as a child (before God) death has never had a foot hold in my life. I once for a moment experienced the fullness of God's love, and from that moment on, that is all I want to return to.

In your life have you ever done something or been with someone and you know without a doubt you where made for this moment for this purpose for this person and been right? the feeling of here we go and full fill your life's purpose. the complete love of God is like that 1,000,000 times over.

That is the allure for me. not fear not faith love, is what out lasts all other motivations.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Drich Wrote: papal infallibility never mention in the bible, in fact peter the first supposed pope was fraught with error and was constantly being corrected by Christ. Kinda ballsy to say one thinks he is better than an actual disciple who was directly taught by christ.

Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I suppose the fact that Christ likened his teachings to a rock upon which one should build one's life and that Jesus also likened the church founded by Peter to being built on a rock never occurred to you.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 03:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Drich's position is self contradictory. His "non-intervening" god, according to his own belief system, intervened (helped mankind), by sending his son to save him, and atone for sin. THAT alone contradicts his deist position.
strawman never said God was totally non interveening. in fact in the video on this topic I explain the love God offers includes the intervention of Christ. in fact this is a cornerstone point. I not only reference john 3:16 but use i to define the love God offers and the limitations on this love.

Quote: Non-denominationalism are Evangelical Protestants.
contradictory statement. non-denominational literal means no or without denomination. evangelical protestants are a denomination.
again you are arguing Established social church order. this just shows you are ignorant and shoot off at the mouth before collecting all of the facts. Nondenominational churches are recognizable from the evangelical movement, even though they are autonomous and have no other formal labels.[13][14][15]
The movement is particularly visible in the megachurches.[16][17]
The neo-charismatic churches often use the term nondenominational to define themselves.[18]
Churches with a focus on seekers are more likely to identify themselves as non-denominational

From dummy F-R-O-M means the point of origin. Not Form indicating a branch of. Do you understand the difference between from and form? I know you spend all of your intelligence points on spelling and grammar which leaves nothing for reading comprehension or research ability.

From example: protestants are from catholicism. even though the two could not be more opposite.
The confederacy was part of or born from the union

From does not indicate alliance, just point of origin.

Sucks to be you/wrong all of the time.

.[19]
Quote:

"Nondenominational congregations experienced significant and continuous growth in the 21st century, particularly in the United States. If combined into a single group, nondenominational churches collectively would represented the third-largest Christian grouping in the United States in 2010, after the Roman Catholic Church and Southern Baptist Convention."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondenomin...ristianity
my quoted comes from the same source opening paragraph.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Faith fails because it isn't real.  That simple.

again what I said in the video.

why faith fails
(01-16-2020, 04:27 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Well, IS "christianity" actually spelled out in the bible?   Can you give a reference?

yes. When Ask Jesus himself gave two laws.
Love God with all you are. love your neighbor as yourself.

He literally says in following these two laws everything God wants from you is completed.

luke 10

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”