Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you "treat yourself"?

(11-24-2019, 03:11 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 02:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 01:59 PM)Alan V Wrote: I drink a hot fudge milkshake, but rarely these days with my blood sugar problem.

Meh, 6000 units of metformin will fix you right up.

I'm already taking 500 Mg, so instead of taking 4 pills per day, you want me to take 48?   Tongue Wink
That would be 12 pills, each 500 mg. Or would be if I mathed.

I'm on 2000/daily. My '"exit strategy" would be to take a week's worth of everything.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

(11-24-2019, 03:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 03:11 PM)Alan V Wrote: I'm already taking 500 Mg, so instead of taking 4 pills per day, you want me to take 48? 
That would be 12 pills, each 500 mg. Or would be if I mathed.

I'm on 2000/daily. My '"exit strategy" would be to take a week's worth of everything.

I was thinking that I take 4 pills for 500 Mg.

4 X 12 = 48  

But I just realized each tablet is 500 Mg, so I take 2000 Mg daily. So you are right. hobo

I broke my math bone in the fifth grade and it never healed properly.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V, grympy

(11-24-2019, 03:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I broke my math bone in the fifth grade and it never healed properly.

I was good at math through school, but use my old skills so infrequently these days that I can be quite slow.

I bought a math program once. Apparently it assumed that I had a Ph.D. in math as a starting point. I just wanted to find out how may cubits in an ark.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

Lobster tails, good wine, luckily my wife and I agree on those.  Finding decent lobster tails in a fucking desert does take some work.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dānu

Arrakis Seafood Services deliver.

(11-24-2019, 04:29 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Lobster tails, good wine, luckily my wife and I agree on those.  Finding decent lobster tails in a fucking desert does take some work.

Charlestonseafood.com will send you live lobsters...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 06:14 AM)Jenny Wrote: Clothes and shoes Smile

You and me both.  It's clothes and shoes.   I just bought me some red ankle boots.  Love them!
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Jenny

(11-24-2019, 05:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

You and me both.  It's clothes and shoes.   I just bought me some red ankle boots.  Love them!

Those sound nice!  Heart I recently bought a Gunas handbag.  Kinda pricey for a small handbag, but it was a treat so....  Big Grin

A treat for me is getting away from the fire hose of responsibilities and concerns of my everyday life.

A day trip to San Francisco just wandering around with no special itinerary in mind.
A few days in Santa Cruz, California every summer with no housework or any work at all for that matter.
An afternoon at a museum in my city, seeing what's new and what I've missed on past visits.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 5 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Jenny, Dānu, jerry mcmasters

(11-24-2019, 05:29 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: A treat for me is getting away from the fire hose of responsibilities and concerns of my everyday life.

A day trip to San Francisco just wandering around with no special itinerary in mind.
A few days in Santa Cruz, California every summer with no housework or any work at all for that matter.
An afternoon at a museum in my city, seeing what's new and what I've missed on past visits.

-Teresa

I found a great macaron shop in San Francisco one day. They also sell tea. Big Grin

I think it was this one. Apparently there are a few in SF, however.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Tres Leches, Jenny

(11-24-2019, 05:23 PM)Jenny Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 05:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Those sound nice!  Heart I recently bought a Gunas handbag.  Kinda pricey for a small handbag, but it was a treat so....  Big Grin

Hummmmm, googled Gunas handbags.  I saw a vegan handbag made from recycled plastic, is this the one you bought?

[Image: gunas-flamingo-bag-7-bags-womens-purse-g...1517044130]
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Jenny, grympy

(11-24-2019, 05:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 05:29 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: A treat for me is getting away from the fire hose of responsibilities and concerns of my everyday life.

-Teresa

I found a great macaron shop in San Francisco one day. They also sell tea. Big Grin

I think it was this one. Apparently there are a few in SF, however.

The macarons look heavenly and looks like one of their stores are right off Market Street. Thanks for the tip!

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Jenny

(11-24-2019, 05:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 05:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: You and me both.  It's clothes and shoes.   I just bought me some red ankle boots.  Love them!

Hummmmm, googled Gunas handbags.  I saw a vegan handbag made from recycled plastic, is this the one you bought?

I like that one, but I bought the Rotunda bag in tan. I was looking for a crossbody bag and I thought the design kind of looked like a mandala.  Smile
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I revisit some great book or movie from my collection. I go to symphonies. Cinemas, triple or quadruple events, with ridiculously overpriced but delicious popcorn. Expensive chocolates.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 2 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis

Anxiety free days. Days I just decide to put my responsibilities on hold, and to hell with the consequences. Kind of like a mental health day.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(11-24-2019, 03:48 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I broke my math bone in the fifth grade and it never healed properly.

Yup. That was  the last year I ever passed arithmetic or maths

I thought it was  because I was stupid until I went to university.  Studying logic; couldn't do it, too stupid.   My terrific tutor gave me free coaching.   After 10 minutes , quoth he  ""I know your problem; you can't do it unless you understand it.  I'm like that"  . He then explained you don't  need to be very bright to do high school maths, at  least. That "the problem" was the way I was taught.  (by what  passed for Catholic education at the time) Anyway, after Eddie's tutoring, I passed an open book exam at end of term . --and then  gave up symbolic logic.  Blush
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I was singled out for math skill at a young age, but symbolic logic is not my strong suit. I look at formal proofs more than a few lines long and my brain just locks.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 05:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 05:18 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: You and me both.  It's clothes and shoes.   I just bought me some red ankle boots.  Love them!

When we were in Hong Kong ,my ex wife bought a Gucci hand bag from a department store. (was still very expensive) After we got home, she discovered it was fake.  Thumbs Up
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

If I've got a few extra dollars, headed into Austin and prowling through used effects-pedals (for my guitar rig) at Guitar Center or the many pawn shops is fun. Even funner when I find a deal in my budget. Two pedals, two amps, and two guitars I own have come this way. Two best deals: used pristine Ibanez AS-93, $350, used Joyo overdrive pedal, $12.
On hiatus.

(11-30-2019, 03:17 AM)grympy Wrote:

Yup. That was  the last year I ever passed arithmetic or maths

I thought it was  because I was stupid until I went to university.  Studying logic; couldn't do it, too stupid.   My terrific tutor gave me free coaching.   After 10 minutes , quoth he  ""I know your problem; you can't do it unless you understand it.  I'm like that"  . He then explained you don't  need to be very bright to do high school maths, at  least. That "the problem" was the way I was taught.  (by what  passed for Catholic education at the time) Anyway, after Eddie's tutoring, I passed an open book exam at end of term . --and then  gave up symbolic logic.  Blush

My high school math teachers want to put me in a special math class. So they had some people give me an IQ test. "124". Not stupid, just don't math.

Seems like i'm almost always treating myself. In many different ways.

I'm eating a box of blackberries.

Firm but fair. I want me to respect me.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Alan V