Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Life: Alyx Revealed

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21/2097...alve-steam

Yes, I know, it's not Half-Life 3. However...

Quote:Does this mark a full return to the series? Should we expect more?

Yes. It’s probably no surprise that many people at Valve have been wanting to get back to the Half-Life universe for a long time, and this experience has only reinforced that. In the process of creating Half-Life: Alyx, we’ve had to explore new ways to tell stories with these characters and this world, and we’ve discovered a lot of new gameplay experiences that go beyond what we’ve been able to do before. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see how people react to Half-Life: Alyx once it’s out, but we’d love to continue pushing forward.

Here's the trailer. Definitely looks impressive.

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Oh, it's a computer game.

My mate (who's 58, a retired computer programmer) Is an obsessive player. Latest obsession is "World OF War Craft " He often spends more than 24 hours at a stretch .Goes on raids a lot.

He tried to get me interested in 'Civilisation.' I even went to steam and gave them $10. Could not get into it. I think I was resistant because I have OCD. An obsession can be overwhelming for me.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-22-2019, 12:20 AM)grympy Wrote: Oh, it's a computer game.

My mate (who's 58, a retired computer programmer)  Is an obsessive player. Latest obsession is "World OF War Craft "  He often spends more than 24 hours at a stretch .Goes  on raids a lot.

He tried to get me interested in 'Civilisation.' I even went to steam and gave them $10.  Could not get into it. I think I was resistant because I have OCD. An obsession can be overwhelming for me.

Yup definitely stay away from any of the Civilization games if you already have OCD. My brother plays it a ton. He used to play World of Warcraft a ton, too. Was basically an addict.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • grympy

I'm sure we'll have Half-Life 3.

By 3019.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Personally, I'm more excited for this game:

My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Promo video or actual game play?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

You have NO idea how hard it is to keep an offline windows 95 computer running well enough to play Civ 2. LOL! I have 2 and they cycle through Best Buy for repairs...

And it is a constant struggle to convince them NOT to upgrade the hardware... "Replace, Don't Improve"!!!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

When I upgrade my laptop next year I'll send you the old one.
  • Cavebear

(11-22-2019, 12:13 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: When I upgrade my laptop next year I'll send you the old one.

Play Civ 2 on a LAPTOP? Oh no, you can't get me THAT cheap!

I'll throw in two five year old thumb drives and a 8" floppy drive.
  • Cavebear

(11-22-2019, 12:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'll throw in two five year old thumb drives and a 8" floppy drive.

Only if you have add a Commodore 64 to read the 8" floppy. I have a quest game I want to play. The old kind where you roll dice for powers of the team members and decide who will be a thief, a wizard, a warrior, etc. And name all the characters. I miss those.

I played the text-based Dungeons and Dragons on an 8086 computer with two floppies and a CGA monitor. I mapped all forty levels of one dungeon.

Yeah, I was that bored.
  • Cavebear

(11-22-2019, 12:30 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I played the text-based Dungeons and Dragons on an 8086 computer with two floppies and a CGA monitor. I mapped all forty levels of one dungeon.

Yeah, I was that bored.

Was that a C3 computer?  Sounds like we had to do for a simple spreadsheet.  8086 really rings a bell.

Played something called (maybe) "Thief of Fate". Had levels of dungeons. I needed newsprint size paper to keep track.

BTW, I played a moon landing program at a science lab back in the 70s.  Crashed most times but finally got a soft landing.  The computer guy said I was the first non-tech to do it.  My roommate was a friend of his.  Started my enjoyment of computer games and possibly ruined my life.

It was a store-brand computer. Wouldn't make a door stop today, but I paid $899 + tax for it in 1988.
  • Cavebear

(11-22-2019, 12:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It was a store-brand computer. Wouldn't make a door stop today, but I paid $899 + tax for it in 1988.
In 1988, that was cheap. A coworker spent $3000 on an IBM. I bought a Commodore and stole games shamelessly. We even had a cheat club in my basement.

Ah the bad old days...

(11-22-2019, 12:58 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 12:55 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It was a store-brand computer. Wouldn't make a door stop today, but I paid $899 + tax for it in 1988.
In 1988, that was cheap.  A coworker spent $3000 on an IBM.  I bought a Commodore and stole games shamelessly.  We even had a cheat club in my basement.

Ah the bad old days...
Yeah, cheap was the key. I used my last active duty paycheck to buy it.

It was a big chain store, they sold the puters to get people in. Buying a computer at J. C. Penney's. LOL

(11-22-2019, 11:51 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Promo video or actual game play?

The graphics is the game play. It's without the UI or mouse pointer though. It's like watching an A vs AII battle, basically.

Here is another video with a bit of actual gameplay at 43 seconds in:

It resembles a 3D AoE2 to me.

Have you bought AoE2 Definitive Edition on Steam, by the way? It's fucking amazing.

Yeah, I have AEIIde. I'll buy IV, hoping it won't be another III.
  • EvieTheAvocado

My prediction is that it will be better than AoE3 but not as good as AoE2 (nothing is as good as AoE2 ... see the end of my post) ... but still worth buying for a change every now and then. AoE2 DE is the best version ever of the best game ever ... and I just can't imagine anything improving on it besides the devs just improving that game itself with further updates, bug fixes, balance changes, etc.

[Image: 3hdz5l.jpg]