Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaga found!

Kaga found!
(11-11-2019, 01:25 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Haven't seen it in forever but if I recall correctly they used a lot of actual war footage.  Which was kind of incongruous with the rest of the movie.

That one used a lot of footage from John Ford's docs --- which themselves featured both staged and reused footage.

(11-11-2019, 01:25 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Now we'll get a lot of ridiculous over the top cgi.

Don't forget the gratuitous love story or deafening explosions.
On hiatus.

Kaga found!
I saw the trailer and an analysis of it. CGI is pretty good and accurate (down to japanese Kanji markings on carrier decks). Plane modeling seems to be pretty good as well.
Dauntlesses however making "vertical handbrake turns" (instead of a hammerhead, which would still be a bad defensive maneuver) to make Zeros overshoot, thats......shoot. Sorry Mr. Emmerich, w. the actual f.!?
R.I.P. Hannes

Kaga found!
(11-11-2019, 01:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Don't forget the gratuitous love story or deafening explosions.

Yeah I recall the love interest drama/conflict.  I remember the promotional blurb for the original Midway movie: "Midway- the battle was hot, but not as hot as one man's love for an Asian woman despite his father not being cool with potentially having an Asian daughter in law, and despite that father being Charlton Fucking Heston." [/deep voice]
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23

Kaga found!
(11-12-2019, 04:06 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 01:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Don't forget the gratuitous love story or deafening explosions.

Yeah I recall the love interest drama/conflict.  I remember the promotional blurb for the original Midway movie: "Midway- the battle was hot, but not as hot as one man's love for an Asian woman despite his father not being cool with potentially having an Asian daughter in law, and despite that father being Charlton Fucking Heston." [/deep voice]

Because, you know, there simply wasn't enough drama in what was perhaps the most decisive naval battle in history ... *yawn* Wasn't that Erik Estrada playing the part of lovelorn flyboy who gets burnt-up in combat?

It's like Titanic. The deadliest peacetime maritime accident in history, and the script-doctors still had to cook up a freakin' love story. Just shoot me now. Or in 1997 so I never could get dragged to the theater to watch that piece of shit.
On hiatus.

Kaga found!
Quote:Yeah I recall the love interest drama/conflict.

Yeah.   Was that fucking phony or what!  

They had Hal Holbrook play Commander Rochefort as some sort of hick southerner (he was born in Ohio and grew up in California). 

And the Japanese looked like walking cardboard cut outs!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Kaga found!
(11-12-2019, 04:15 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Yeah I recall the love interest drama/conflict.

Yeah.   Was that fucking phony or what!  

They had Hal Holbrook play Commander Rochefort as some sort of hick southerner (he was born in Ohio and grew up in California). 

And the Japanese looked like walking cardboard cut outs!

I had no idea the Germans operated AT-6s until I saw that movie. Glad they picked up on that for Animal House, too.

On hiatus.

Kaga found!
(11-12-2019, 04:13 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 04:06 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Because, you know, there simply wasn't enough drama in what was perhaps the most decisive naval battle in history ... *yawn* Wasn't that Erik Estrada playing the part of lovelorn flyboy who gets burnt-up in combat?

It's like Titanic. The deadliest peacetime maritime accident in history, and the script-doctors still had to cook up a freakin' love story. Just shoot me now. Or in 1997 so I never could get dragged to the theater to watch that piece of shit.

Hmmm...that doesn't seem similar to the movie Titanic at all but not sure why not.  But I can't imagine Titanic without it.  I see Titanic as a love story with the dramatic setting of the ship crash and sinking, but Midway is about the battle of Midway, and adding the love drama just seems forced and perfunctory, like owell, gotta have it.  Seems the movie Pearl Harbor tried to split the difference, the star of the movie is both the dramatic love triangle and the actual attack on Pearl Harbor.  Wanting both things, it kind of came up short on both in my opinion