Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Christianities Bart Ehrman

Lost Christianities Bart Ehrman
(11-18-2019, 12:37 AM)grympy Wrote: I have the book, and have read about 20% . Seems about right to me, but I'm no biblical scholar. IE I don't know what I don't know.  

So I'm posting this 18 minute clip with Dr Ehrman . I'd appreciate comments  from say Free, Min, Bucky and Mordant, or anyone else who has some knowledge rather than just an opinion. 

Thanks in advance

He speaks about 4 different sects that emerged as per the result of the existence and teachings of Jesus.

1. Ebionites
2. Marcionites
3. Gnostics
4. Christians

He is correct in his explanation of what they all believed. In particular, his understanding of the Gnostics is dead on, and totally in line with my understanding. The Gnostics were a varied group and my view on them was that they has an excellent method of expressing their beliefs with words so vividly that their words actually imposed images in the mind as they were being read.

This interview did not discuss the earliest followers of Jesus known as "The Way/Nazarenes." These were all Jews, and I suspect that they were what later became known as the Ebionites following the destruction of the temple in CE 70. The Church Fathers themselves from the first centuries after Jesus consider the Ebionites identical with the Nazarenes.

All in all, Ehrman gives an excellent summary that falls directly in line with the available evidence.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • grympy