Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famed Christian songwriter renounces religion

I'm genuinely losing my faith

Quote:Australian songwriter Marty Sampson, well-known in the contemporary Christian music scene for his work with the bands Hillsong Worship, Hillsong United, Delirious?, and Young & Free.

Nobody makes an announcement like this on a whim, much less someone whose life and career was spent inside the walls of Christianity. With one post, consider how many friends he just lost. Consider how much of his life’s work is no longer a source of pride for him. What a courageous step he just took!

A lot of Christians who go to churches like Hillsong will tell you that Christianity isn’t a religion, but a relationship. Well, not all relationships last, and some couples are better off breaking up, as hard as that may be.

Maybe instead of asking what Sampson lacked in his life, his critics should ask what’s wrong with their faith that even one of the most successful spreaders of the Christian message eventually chose to walk away from it.

Didn't realize the article was a couple months old, sorry.
The following 5 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, brunumb, Fireball, mordant

The devil went down to Sydney?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Phaedrus

People walk away from jesusism every day. One day they come to their senses!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

At least now he's not doomed to writing shitty music forever.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, Minimalist, TheGentlemanBastard

Writers Block.... obviously
Quis ut Deus?

(11-12-2019, 02:24 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I'm genuinely losing my faith

Quote:Australian songwriter Marty Sampson, well-known in the contemporary Christian music scene for his work with the bands Hillsong Worship, Hillsong United, Delirious?, and Young & Free.

Nobody makes an announcement like this on a whim, much less someone whose life and career was spent inside the walls of Christianity. With one post, consider how many friends he just lost. Consider how much of his life’s work is no longer a source of pride for him. What a courageous step he just took!

A lot of Christians who go to churches like Hillsong will tell you that Christianity isn’t a religion, but a relationship. Well, not all relationships last, and some couples are better off breaking up, as hard as that may be.

Maybe instead of asking what Sampson lacked in his life, his critics should ask what’s wrong with their faith that even one of the most successful spreaders of the Christian message eventually chose to walk away from it.

It's probably a stunt to prepare the way for introducing a new girlfriend who will be bringing him back to Jebus. 
Yawn.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball

(11-12-2019, 04:26 AM)ronedee Wrote: Writers Block.... obviously

Well, I guess there's only so many ways one can sing Praise Jebus.

I'll bet he regains it when his sales falter. Or that he only means he has changed to some other religion...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(11-12-2019, 02:29 AM)no one Wrote: The devil went down to Sydney?

He lives there, its his home.   Angel Tongue
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(11-12-2019, 12:33 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 02:29 AM)no one Wrote: The devil went down to Sydney?

He lives there, its his home.   Angel Tongue

Waiting to see what his views are after his next song.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(11-12-2019, 02:24 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I'm genuinely losing my faith

This is false advertisement. You didn't put the text upside down. I feel cheated.
 Check out my atheist poetry here... https://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771 I also go by "RationalPoet"@brianrrs37 on Twitter and "Brian James" Rational Poet on FB. 
The following 1 user Likes Brian37's post:
  • adey67

As some commentator said:

"Maybe instead of asking what Sampson lacked in his life, his critics should ask what’s wrong with their faith."
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Fireball

(11-13-2019, 03:46 AM)SYZ Wrote: As some commentator said:

"Maybe instead of asking what Sampson lacked in his life, his critics should ask what’s wrong with their faith."

What's wrong with faith?  It's that it's faith.  Faith is cowardice. 
The acceptance of comforting but unevidenced stories instead of using one's brain, doing the hard work of thinking and living with uncertainties is an utter lack of courage.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(11-12-2019, 04:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: It's probably a stunt to prepare the way for introducing a new girlfriend who will be bringing him back to Jebus. 
Yawn.

The post was deleted, which could mean a lot of things, but I'm sure he's feeling a lot of heat and it's not impossible it results in him regressing. We'll see how it settles out over time.