Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, looks like Bill Maher is an idiot

I watch his show because it's a pretty good late night talk show, despite Maher. The guests are usually well informed, articulate and passionate, and the discussions are entertaining and informative.

Actually the worst parts of the panel discussions are when Bill interjects with his smug, poorly thought out retorts to decently made points. The panels are usually fairly mixed with both left and right viewpoints (it is a three person panel so the right view is normally outnumbered by one person on the left).

His forte is the new rules segment , which is always pretty funny. But that's because it's pure comedy, not well thought out social commentary, nor is it supposed to be.

If a truly intelligent comedian were to host a show with the same format, it would be great television.
The following 1 user Likes evenheathen's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-05-2019, 02:29 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 06:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Isn't he just some media personality? If so then why expect him being smart?

This is America, where anyone with access to a tv audience and/ or who has lots of money must have something Very Important To Say and we should all listen to them.

We have late-night comedy shows (of which Maher's show used to be one) with guys who make boring, unfunny jokes about politicians yet their opinions and jokes are viewed as worthy of lots of attention.

Maher might have been funny or relevant 20+ years ago but now he's just a out-of-touch self-important dude.
Sure, he's an atheist but not every atheist is worth my attention.

-Teresa

He's been a blowhard for a long time.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Tres Leches, GenesisNemesis

(11-05-2019, 01:19 AM)brewerb Wrote: Pointless. Goodbye.

I will cherish our talk for all times.

(11-04-2019, 07:11 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 02:45 PM)jerryg Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 10:23 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Multiple studies have tested whether a link between autism and vaccines exits, including a study this March of over 650,000 children that found no correlation between the two.

If the link was one in a million, you would never find a statistical correlation between the two.  I'd think it'd take a study of trillions of kids. Particularly with something like Autism, where nobody knows exactly what causes it to begin with.

If it were 1 in a million, we couldn't have thousands of parents in the US claiming their kid got autism from a vaccine, but we do. So, either it's way more common than that and all the science is wrong, or the science is right and the anti-vaxxers are simply bat-shit crazy.

I'll trust the science, thanks.

I don't think it has to be one or the other.  You can have no statistical correlation, and still have an exception.  Most of the anti-vaxxrs' experiences can be bullshit, but a few could be real.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

It doesn't change anything. Everyone should still vaccinate their kids, of course.

(11-05-2019, 05:48 PM)jerryg Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 07:11 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 02:45 PM)jerryg Wrote: If the link was one in a million, you would never find a statistical correlation between the two.  I'd think it'd take a study of trillions of kids. Particularly with something like Autism, where nobody knows exactly what causes it to begin with.

If it were 1 in a million, we couldn't have thousands of parents in the US claiming their kid got autism from a vaccine, but we do. So, either it's way more common than that and all the science is wrong, or the science is right and the anti-vaxxers are simply bat-shit crazy.

I'll trust the science, thanks.

I don't think it has to be one or the other.  You can have no statistical correlation, and still have an exception.  Most of the anti-vaxxrs' experiences can be bullshit, but a few could be real.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

It doesn't change anything.  Everyone should still vaccinate their kids, of course.

First you have to actually establish that there is "something real" there to begin with... how do you do that without a statistical correlation?
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, TheGentlemanBastard, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus