Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UFOs: No Longer Crazy?

Ever since the New York Times covered declassified footage of UFOs in 2017 and 2019, the public discourse on them has changed. It's becoming less and less insane to believe in alien spacecrafts hovering around Earth, especially when you have a retired Navy commander backing you up

The highlights of this interview, in my opinion are:
  • UFOs that defy current tech available to humans are an almost common occurrence for Navy pilots in certain areas, and there's not really much to do about it. They jam our radars and we can't track them, so all we can do is just be aware they're out there so none of our pilots accidentally hit one.
  • There are several reported shapes and sizes, but all of them utilize gravity propulsion systems that we currently do not know how to create or operate. They reach this conclusion based on the crafts' movements, as the commander explains.
  • The Navy and Air Force have a sick sense of humor about them, and pilots love messing with civilians and pretending they're UFOs (lmao), meaning a lot of UFO sighting are probably just pilots goofing off.
  • There is no massive government conspiracy to cover them up; in fact, the majority of government officials are just as ignorant on the issue as the general public. Cmdr Fravor says that he has briefed many high-level officials who had no idea about any of this.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

I don't think there are UFO's. Just confused viewers and witnesses.

Imagination, cherry-picking, confirmation bias, willfully inaccurate reporting, UFOs got it all.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Unidentified flying objects are just that - unidentified things in the air. Drawing a straight line from UFOs to aliens is a stretch. As GD mentioned at least we humans have imagination.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 8 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • SYZ, EvieTheAvocado, skyking, Bcat, Aroura, leerob, c172, Kim

The reason people say "UFO" is because "flying saucer" sounded silly. Now "UFO" sounds silly.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat

Wow, you guys clearly didn't read or watch anything I posted. You don't have to believe it, it doesn't really affect anything if you do or don't, but you clearly didn't give any of this new material a chance. You're automatically dismissing it without examining the evidence, which is not what a proper skeptic does.

The following 2 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Free, Kim

(10-10-2019, 02:01 PM)Aegon Wrote: Wow, you guys clearly didn't read or watch anything I posted lmao

I helped my third wife do a paper on the UFO phenomenon. I read thing and rated them so she didn't have to wade through all that garbage. So, unless we're getting married real soon I'm not doing that again.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat, Peebothuhlu, leerob

(10-10-2019, 02:01 PM)Aegon Wrote: Wow, you guys clearly didn't read or watch anything I posted. You don't have to believe it, it doesn't really affect anything if you do or don't, but you clearly didn't give any of this new material a chance.

Winking

(10-10-2019, 01:59 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Unidentified flying objects are just that - unidentified things in the air. Drawing a straight line from UFOs to aliens is a stretch. As GD mentioned at least we humans have imagination.

-Teresa

I'm not drawing a straight line from UFOs to aliens, the retired Navy commander who witnessed them is. He does a good job of explaining the type of technology required to move in the way the crafts do, tech that is easily hundreds of years ahead of us. I guess Russia could have figured out how to manipulate gravity, but I'd be shocked to discover we didn't know about it.

(10-10-2019, 02:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:01 PM)Aegon Wrote: Wow, you guys clearly didn't read or watch anything I posted lmao

I helped my third wife do a paper on the UFO phenomenon. I read thing and rated them so she didn't have to wade through all that garbage. So, unless we're getting married real soon I'm not doing that again.

The material being analyzed in the NYT article and the interview are new. They're only recently declassified, in 2017 and 2019 respectively.

SFW? It is a report of something UNIDENTIFIED. Again, SFW. I've seen shit loads of stuff that met that requirement, and still no little green men.
  • leerob

I'm not watching 2 hrs of video for this, it's not new material (the Fravor story). It has been around for years. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_UFO_incident

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/pen...ia-frenzy/

Might be worth a PM to Rob.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus, TheGentlemanBastard

The "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" factor is kind of pathetic.

UFO's are a lot like the biblical god, or any god for that matter.  UFO's are only seen by a few people here and there.  UFO's never communicate to the masses all at once.  You'll never see a god or a UFO appear at a huge sporting event, land in the middle of the field and have a nice chat with everyone.  This, even though they're supposed to have a very important message for us.   No, they always need to be mysterious and just out of reach. Like gods, they're undetectable by modern science.   UFO's are just a different version of a god.  They're a high tech god who flies around in a saucer.
                                                         T4618

(10-10-2019, 02:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: SFW? It is a report of something UNIDENTIFIED. Again, SFW. I've seen shit loads of stuff that met that requirement, and still no little green men.

I see where you're coming from, obviously. I also think it is entertaining for you to imply you understand this more than Fravor

(10-10-2019, 02:48 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: UFO's are a lot like the biblical god, or any god for that matter.  UFO's are only seen by a few people here and there.  UFO's never communicate to the masses all at once.  You'll never see a god or a UFO appear at a huge sporting event, land in the middle of the field and have a nice chat with everyone.  This, even though they're supposed to have a very important message for us.   No, they always need to be mysterious and just out of reach. Like gods, they're undetectable by modern science.   UFO's are just a different version of a god.  They're a high tech god who flies around in a saucer.

UFOs are just as crazy and unlikely as God? That is sort of funny to me. How big is the observable universe again?

"Undetectable by modern science"? There is verified military footage of these things operating in a manner that no known man-made craft can. Watch it for yourself right now if you'd like to. How much more could modern science detect them?

https://youtu.be/CnIG-i2WCfg?t=15

(10-10-2019, 02:19 PM)brewerb Wrote: I'm not watching 2 hrs of video for this, it's not new material (the Fravor story). It has been around for years. 

Two years is pretty new, in my opinion. Especially since UFOs have been a subject of curiosity since... the 50s? The 40s? It occurred in 2004, but since it was only made available to the public in 2017, I would classify that as new. I already read what you posted, and I just have a hard time believing that the pilot who oversaw the squadron that witnessed this is bullshitting, or incorrect about his own experience, or makes any errors in judging the clip. I would trust the commander over the lovely people on "Skeptic.com." 

It is acknowledged that many UFO sightings are bullshit, and that the general public has probably had little to no interaction with the specific ships that we see in the declassified footage. This is the first time there is a witness I would call legitimate, with sincere military credentials and no history of talking crazy. 

You're the only person who's bothered to address the specific claims in the topic. Everyone else just can't wait to be "skeptics" and dismiss it without bothering to look at it. I find it funny how certain people are that UFOs not of this Earth don't exist. What is the statistical likelihood that there would be lifeforms in our galaxy that are just a few hundred years ahead of us in tech, and can utilize that tech to travel long distances? It's probably in the believers' favor.

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • brewerb

The believer's favor in this instance is fiction.

(10-10-2019, 03:20 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: The believer's favor in this instance is fiction.

I'm not here to defend every UFO story and every UFO believer ever. I'm here to defend the fact that this footage, and the people verifying it, deserves some attention. If it's not aliens, at the very least, it's incredibly intriguing and unique. A 40-foot "tic tac" shaped object that can accelerate fast enough to completely disappear within two seconds? That shit is WILD! Come on!

(10-10-2019, 03:25 PM)Aegon Wrote: I'm not here to defend every UFO story and every UFO believer ever. I'm here to defend the fact that this footage, and the people verifying it, deserves some attention. If it's not aliens, at the very least, it's incredibly intriguing and unique. A 40-foot "tic tac" shaped object that can accelerate fast enough to completely disappear within two seconds? That shit is WILD! Come on!

You you seem to think it is deserving of attention. Good on you, enjoy the fucking show. I've known wilder waterfalls.

(10-10-2019, 03:03 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: SFW? It is a report of something UNIDENTIFIED. Again, SFW. I've seen shit loads of stuff that met that requirement, and still no little green men.

I see where you're coming from, obviously. I also think it is entertaining for you to imply you understand this more than Fravor

It's entertaining that you think I give a fuck what you think. Winking
  • Phaedrus

(10-10-2019, 03:16 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:19 PM)brewerb Wrote: I'm not watching 2 hrs of video for this, it's not new material (the Fravor story). It has been around for years. 

Two years is pretty new, in my opinion. Especially since UFOs have been a subject of curiosity since... the 50s? The 40s? It occurred in 2004, but since it was only made available to the public in 2017, I would classify that as new. I already read what you posted, and I just have a hard time believing that the pilot who oversaw the squadron that witnessed this is bullshitting, or incorrect about his own experience, or makes any errors in judging the clip. I would trust the commander over the lovely people on "Skeptic.com." 

It is acknowledged that many UFO sightings are bullshit, and that the general public has probably had little to no interaction with the specific ships that we see in the declassified footage. This is the first time there is a witness I would call legitimate, with sincere military credentials and no history of talking crazy. 

You're the only person who's bothered to address the specific claims in the topic. Everyone else just can't wait to be "skeptics" and dismiss it without bothering to look at it. I find it funny how certain people are that UFOs not of this Earth don't exist. What is the statistical likelihood that there would be lifeforms in our galaxy that are just a few hundred years ahead of us in tech, and can utilize that tech to travel long distances? It's probably in the believers' favor.

Don't forget that the commander (and others) is/are doing this to make money. That also gives me pause. (remember alien autopsy?)

And I have a hard time believing that humans/earth is/are so special that other life forms would need to visit and not attempt to make actual contact. (probe people in 3,.........., 2,.............)

I guess that, similar to god, I'm going to need more concrete evidence before belief.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 5 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aegon, Thumpalumpacus, skyking, brunumb

(10-10-2019, 03:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:03 PM)Aegon Wrote:

It's entertaining that you think I give a fuck what you think.  Winking

Usually when I cease to care what others think, or cease caring what they think of what I'm saying, I just stop interacting with them and move on to something else. Since you're not doing that, I have reason to think you do give a fuck!

@Aegon

Out of curiosity, if you thought this was a serious post, why did you post it in the conspiracy area?

(10-10-2019, 03:37 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:03 PM)Aegon Wrote: I see where you're coming from, obviously. I also think it is entertaining for you to imply you understand this more than Fravor

It's entertaining that you think I give a fuck what you think.  Winking

Usually when I cease to care what others think, or cease caring what they think of what I'm saying, I just stop interacting with them and move on to something else. Since you're not doing that, I have reason to think you do give a fuck!

That's you. I don't do you.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, EvieTheAvocado

(10-10-2019, 03:40 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: @Aegon

Out of curiosity, if you thought this was a serious post, why did you post it in the conspiracy area?

Because he's a conspiracy nutbar.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, EvieTheAvocado