Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UFOs: No Longer Crazy?

It appears as if an F-35 is now an Unoccupied Flying Object.  Pilot bailed out and the plane kept going on autopilot.

Why bail out of a perfectly good airplane?

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opin...rcna105603

Quote:There’s still a lot we don’t know about the lost plane, but we do know that it was part of a training squadron with 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, based out of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. At some point during a flight on Sunday afternoon, the pilot ejected with the fighter jet’s autopilot still running. Joint Base Charleston, in the funniest development possible, posted a call for help from the public on Facebook, asking for assistance in tracking down the errant plane like it was a dog that had wandered off from its owner. The base even included a phone number for the public to call with sightings.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Inkubus, pattylt, mordant, Free, skyking

Quote:Pentagon Review Finds No Evidence of Alien Cover-Up

The new congressionally mandated Pentagon report found no evidence that the government was covering up knowledge of extraterrestrial technology and said there was no evidence that any U.F.O. sightings represented alien visitation to Earth.

The 63-page document is the most sweeping rebuttal the Pentagon has issued in recent years to counter claims that it has information on extraterrestrial visits or technology.

Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder, a Defense Department spokesman, said the Pentagon approached the report with an open mind and no preconceived notions, but simply found no evidence to back up claims of secret programs, hidden alien technology or anything else extraterrestrial.

“All investigative efforts, at all levels of classification, concluded that most sightings were ordinary objects and phenomena and the result of misidentification,” General Ryder said in a statement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/08/us/po...eview.html
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • pattylt

And all across the country this morning assholes will wake up and say "YOU SEE?  ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY AND THEY ARE ALL IN ON IT."

Way too many assholes in the US.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt

(03-09-2024, 03:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: "YOU SEE?  ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY AND THEY ARE ALL IN ON IT!"

Conspiracies are more fun the more people involved.  The more people involved the more likely the checkout clerk at the supermarket you just bought your groceries from is a key figure in the conspiracy and you can have a shudder at close you came to being personally affected by it.  The difference here between a shudder and an orgasm is the words aren't spelled the same.
The following 3 users Like airportkid's post:
  • pattylt, Minimalist, mordant

I love the "Ancient Aliens" kooks.  Yeah....supersmart aliens traveled trillions of miles to visit Egypt in the Early Bronze Age so they could pile up limestone.

What a fucking waste of time!
  • pattylt

Some good reasons to be skeptical of extra-terrestrial alien visitations:

1.  Almost always the vessels described flitting about in the lower atmosphere are the same ones that crossed interstellar distances to get here.  It's about the same as declaring a nuclear long range submarine also clambered about overland.  All earth origin extraterrestrial exploration employed separate vehicles for the intra-planetary transit and the overland exploration.

2  In all Earth's history encompassing several billion years of biological evolution only ONE creature has emerged with a sense of long-term consequence and an effectively infinite memory, both of which would be necessary to achieve interstellar travel.  While I personally would find it remarkable if life itself were rare, self-aware life able to chronicle a steadily increasing bank of knowledge and expertise appears, based on what's been found here, VERY unlikely.  Moreover, we have no strong indications such an organism would not self-destruct within a few thousands of years, and numerous indicators that self-destruction may be even inevitable.

3.  A severe deficiency in mileage points awarded for such travel.  This last might be the most compelling reason of all.
The following 3 users Like airportkid's post:
  • pattylt, Cavebear, mordant

Earthlings are not important enough to be visited, but damn, they sure like to think they are.

Oh, look, we've been visited by an angel. Whistling
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • pattylt, Thumpalumpacus, skyking

All this stuff has been crazy, both in the good and bad ways.

I've personally always been in the mind of "is there LIFE in the universe other than us? Yes, probably.". However that doesnt mean "little green men" and all that jazz. When some of this stuff starting coming out in the US about people taking stuff to congress, that is "interesting" as it's more like official than just saying stuff. However it's still not proof of anything.

Along with the above comes an alleged laundry list of stuff that comes with it including maybe that IF this stuff is legit, there is some sort of "inter-dimensional" type things involved. But the problem is......how do you even get to that level?

In my opinion, so far at least, its much much more likely that the various governments of the world have some tech that we aren't told about [not in a conspiracy level type way] and us "normal people" may have caught something on film, and our stupid brains jump to "MUST BE ALIENS", when it's more likely that either 1) we're all wrong and its just literally 'nothing' or 2) its all stuff that we've made ourselves.

I enjoy trying to keep up on the topic, but the stuff that some "alien fanatics" bring to the table is simply unscientific and that alone puts me off the subject.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, pattylt

That's what the us gov has used every ufo discovery and disclosure program for thusfar, anyway.

(03-18-2024, 10:39 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: In my opinion, so far at least, its much much more likely that the various governments of the world have some tech that we aren't told about [not in a conspiracy level type way] and us "normal people" may have caught something on film, and our stupid brains jump to "MUST BE ALIENS", when it's more likely that either 1) we're all wrong and its just literally 'nothing' or 2) its all stuff that we've made ourselves.
It's also a way to distract the masses from the REAL problems in the world.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • pattylt

Prophet Yahweh Summons UFO for ABC News

(04-28-2024, 01:53 PM)Huggy Bear Wrote: Prophet Yahweh Summons UFO for ABC News

This silly video—apparently recorded on a potato—in
no way can be considered viable "evidence" for UFOs.

Cameras are notoriously bad for accurately recorded
bright, distant lights during the day.  My guess is landing
lights on a plane or helicopter.

Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-28-2024, 02:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 01:53 PM)Huggy Bear Wrote: Prophet Yahweh Summons UFO for ABC News

This silly video—apparently recorded on a potato—in
no way can be considered viable "evidence" for UFOs.

Cameras are notoriously bad for accurately recorded
bright, distant lights during the day.  My guess is landing
lights on a plane or helicopter.

Tongue

Video is from the 90's, not to mention the reporter said he could see the object "clear as day".

It never ceases to amaze me what idiots will believe.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Thumpalumpacus

I'll file that video under G,............ for gullible.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • pattylt

(04-28-2024, 05:23 PM)Minimalist Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me what idiots will believe.

There is no belief involved here, this is literal video.

The reporter chose the day, time and place, when they got there they made sure nothing was in the sky, then according to the reporter an object appears out of nowhere.

You can clearly see there's an object in the sky, a literal UFO by definition. 

What part of that requires belief?

(04-28-2024, 05:33 PM)Huggy Bear Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 05:23 PM)Minimalist Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me what idiots will believe.

There is no belief involved here, this is literal video.

The reporter chose the day, time and place, when they got there they made sure nothing was in the sky, then according to the reporter an object appears out of nowhere.

The part that it’s a UFO?
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Minimalist

Huggy,  how can you be so fucking gullible?
  • pattylt

(04-28-2024, 05:55 PM)pattylt Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 05:33 PM)Huggy Bear Wrote: There is no belief involved here, this is literal video.

The part that it’s a UFO?

UFO = UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT

Apparently you have identified the object... What is it?

Are you changing the common definition that means an object from outside our earth or are you just being literal as in anything not immediately known?

I can agree that there might have been something in the sky but it stretches credulity to assume it’s a UFO as in otherworldly. Much more likely to be a reflection or a meteor…several possibilities come to mind. What do you think it really was?

(04-28-2024, 06:34 PM)Huggy Bear Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 05:55 PM)pattylt Wrote: The part that it’s a UFO?

UFO = UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT

Apparently you have identified the object... What is it?

A hoax.

https://www.tiktok.com/discover/man-summons-ufo
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • skyking

UFOs are now known more correctly as UAPs
(unidentified aerial phenomena).

I had a bit of a look around, and the most likely
explanation of this phenomenon is the sun glinting
off a high altitude silvered weather balloon.

Quote:During the evening of 30 May 30 Mike Riffle saw a bright object in the skies above the Columbus, Georgia area.
As he began snapping photos, he witnessed an unusual sight - the bursting of a weather balloon as it reached
the end of its mission. This balloon, after having been launched by the National Weather Service in Peachtree City,
was at an altitude of 112,897 feet, and was brightly lit by the setting sun.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-04-30-at-00-20-22-ball53...pixels.png]

—US National Weather Service, 1 June 2006.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I thought you guys were supposed to be critical thinkers. It was stated that when they arrived at the location the search for anything that might be in the sky before they began. The sky was clear. Balloons don't appear out of nowhere, nor do they perform maneuvers and move at a high rate of speed.

(11 hours ago)Huggy Bear Wrote: Balloons don't appear out of nowhere, nor do they perform maneuvers and move at a high rate of speed.

Reflections, however, can and do, depending on the angle of the sun.

As for motion, it's hard to tell, given how shaky the footage is.

How do you propose this man was able to communicate with this putative UAP?
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

(11 hours ago)Huggy Bear Wrote: I thought you guys were supposed to be critical thinkers. It was stated that when they arrived at the location the search for anything that might be in the sky before they began. The sky was clear. Balloons don't appear out of nowhere, nor do they perform maneuvers and move at a high rate of speed.

You've obviously never seen a magician.