Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[History] What's your passion?

(10-09-2019, 03:16 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I angered only one of my professors (during University period that is). She couldn't swallow being contradicted.

I corrected my fourth grade teacher on the correct pronunciation of "cicada" and also on the correct usage of "into" versus "in two."  She took it well.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(10-09-2019, 02:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote: As for being overlooked - unwillingness of other countries to let the Jews in is a part of most books on III Reich I read but knowledge contained in more or less specialized literature does not equal majority of population being aware of it.  Blame however could be put on more than mythology I think - I don't know how schools in USA teach the subject but pre University I did not learn all that much about either Reich or Shoah.

Same as the long lived myth of Austria being Hitler's first victim. At school (70ies and early 80ies) I learned nothing else, had it not been for my parents who knew I was a history buff and bought me books telling different tales. Such as the book "Damals war ich 14" (I was 14 at that time), published in 1978, containing the oral history of children around '38 and all through the war. My parent's generation, by the way.

With Poland it's probably the handling of jewish refugees of polish nationality, deported by the Germans in the winter of '38/'39 and being refused entrance by the Polish authorities. They had to survive in the no men's land between Germany and Poland. Herschel Greenspan came from one of these families. The reason why he shot the german delegate Rath in Paris. And now the PiS nationalists try to brush polish antisemitism during the war under the carpet.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Szuchow

(10-09-2019, 05:25 PM)abaris Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 02:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote: As for being overlooked - unwillingness of other countries to let the Jews in is a part of most books on III Reich I read but knowledge contained in more or less specialized literature does not equal majority of population being aware of it.  Blame however could be put on more than mythology I think - I don't know how schools in USA teach the subject but pre University I did not learn all that much about either Reich or Shoah.

Same as the long lived myth of Austria being Hitler's first victim. At school (70ies and early 80ies) I learned nothing else, had it not been for my parents who knew I was a history buff and bought me books telling different tales. Such as the book "Damals war ich 14" (I was 14 at that time), published in 1978, containing the oral history of children around '38 and all through the war. My parent's generation, by the way.

With Poland it's probably the handling of jewish refugees of polish nationality, deported by the Germans in the winter of '38/'39 and being refused entrance by the Polish authorities. They had to survive in the no men's land between Germany and Poland. Herschel Greenspan came from one of these families. The reason why he shot the german delegate Rath in Paris. And now the PiS nationalists try to brush polish antisemitism during the war under the carpet.

This isn't even talked about in Poland - right-wingers sometimes deny existence of szmalcowniki, try to minimize number of Poles who sold Jews to the Germans, deny existence of anti-semitism... But this particular incident you write about isn't even denied, it is unknown to the wider public.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • abaris, Kim

quote="Gawdzilla Sama" pid='150575' dateline='1569863256']
Have you put them online? Military history buffs love that shit.
[/quote]

I can't, because of copyright issues.

But something from that period might interest Americans. You all probably know the musical "Sound of Music" that makes Austrians cringe for the largest part. What's hardly known is the history of the "singing Trapp family". Their patriarch was the highest decorated and most successful submarine commander of the Austro-Hungarian navy, which, of course isn't mentioned in the film.

[Image: SMU-5_Trapp.jpg]

That's him on the turret of his boat. As it looks like, this is U5. One of the subs that were called swimming coffins by the German allies because they were that small.

Later on he commanded U14, a formerly french vessel called Curie, trying to get entrance to the main naval base at Pola, now Pula in Croatia. The sub was brought up, captured and reassigned.

[Image: AK-U-Boot-Sous-Marin-Curie-aufgetaucht-u...kueste.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • grympy

(10-20-2019, 04:23 PM)abaris Wrote: quote="Gawdzilla Sama" pid='150575' dateline='1569863256']
Have you put them online? Military history buffs love that shit.

I can't, because of copyright issues.

But something from that period might interest Americans. You all probably know the musical "Sound of Music" that makes Austrians cringe for the largest part. What's hardly known is the history of the "singing Trapp family". Their patriarch was the highest decorated and most successful submarine commander of the Austro-Hungarian navy, which, of course isn't mentioned in the film.

[Image: SMU-5_Trapp.jpg]

That's him on the turret of his boat. As it looks like, this is U5. One of the subs that were called swimming coffins by the German allies because they were that small.

Later on he commanded U14, a formerly french vessel called Curie, trying to get entrance to the main naval base at Pola, now Pula in Croatia. The sub was brought up, captured and reassigned.

[Image: AK-U-Boot-Sous-Marin-Curie-aufgetaucht-u...kueste.jpg]
[/quote]

The Sound of Music has always made me cringe, as do most musicals. 

Didn't know that about Baron Von Trapp. But the "The Sound of Music"' isn't meant to be history . I've been to Salzburg . Nice fountain, good beer. 

There's also a film I suspect isn't popular  in Austria. I saw it maybe 50 years ago. Can't find it on line.

Have seen a couple of documentaries.   Baroness Maria Von Trapp seems  to have borne little resemblance  to Julie Andrews,  on any level. Consider

Kapt. von Trapp's history was known to me, and the film hints at why the Kriegsmarine want the Unterseeboot kapitan.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-20-2019, 09:34 PM)grympy Wrote: Have seen a couple of documentaries.   Baroness Maria Von Trapp seems  to have borne little resemblance  to Julie Andrews,  on any level. Consider

But there's a real story to it. They turned to music because of being impoverished after the war. Their bank filed for bankrupcy and they founded the chorus to stay afloat. They refused to sing for Hitler, so they used a concert trip to Italy to emigrate to the USA, where they settled. After the war, they collected food and clothing for Austrians. It's not as glamorous or funny as in the film.

(10-20-2019, 09:43 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Kapt. von Trapp's history was known to me, and the film hints at why the Kriegsmarine want the Unterseeboot kapitan.

Obviously you're one of the select few.

(10-20-2019, 09:49 PM)abaris Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 09:43 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Kapt. von Trapp's history was known to me, and the film hints at why the Kriegsmarine want the Unterseeboot kapitan.

Obviously you're one of the select few.

When I was a pre-teen I knew I was going to join the Navy. "Victory at Sea" was the key.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]