Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obligitary Inroduction Post

Welcome!
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(09-16-2019, 07:33 PM)Unsapien Wrote: Hello and a welcome sorry from Canada!  Tongue 

I'm an atheist who honestly doesn't really care if a god exists or not anymore.
OK warrants a 
Hug
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Unsapien, Gawdzilla Sama

(09-16-2019, 08:45 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 07:33 PM)Unsapien Wrote: Hello and a welcome sorry from Canada!  Tongue 

I agree, however I do care about the harm various god-concepts can cause.

Of course, but our species is troubled now by more then just the damage god-concepts can do, I see more and more nonreligious people believing in things like homeopathy, holistic medicine, anti-vax crap that maybe...

...this is an intro thread and I should stop.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Go ahead and apologize again, Eh?
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Unsapien, Fireball

(09-15-2019, 05:09 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 05:01 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 04:53 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Hell yeah. Probably more of an anti-theist. Although I came to that later in life than some, in my mid 30s.

-Teresa

Thank you, your "Bach In The Bible" made me think to ask.

That's a quote from the legendary violinist Jascha Heifetz. I play violin (only occasionally now) and Bach pieces are my favorite.

-Teresa

I don't have much musical knowledge, but I like a lot of it in many styles.  I am probably too sensitive to religious references.  THank you for explaining about Heifetz.  I recognize the name, but that's about all.  Let me explain further.  When I'm listening the the local classical music station and they say "now here is something from Heifetz", I enjoy it.  But the next day, I couldn't tell you what instrument he played.  It's that bad...  But I enjoy it while listening.

I recall an episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye and BJ came yelling into their tent and Winchester was playing a record and ordered them to be silent because "it's Bach"...

I know less about classical music than I wish I did, but I have a lot of CDs and listen to them.  I suppose listening in ignorance is better than not listening at all.

Winking
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Tres Leches, Unsapien

(09-16-2019, 01:03 AM)SYZ Wrote: G'day mate, and welcome to the forum.         Sun

G'day to you too.  I have Aussie friends on my blogs.  If I lived anywhere else, it would be there.

(09-16-2019, 09:57 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Speaking of cave bears.

You know, I've always wondered where bears originated.  So I checked a few websites.  Apparently the origin of bears (other than being miacids) is very uncertain.  One site suggested they are a split from ancient pre-wolves.  Another suggested their split from the other miacids is much older.  I find stuff like that endlessly fascinating.

Well, not caring is legitimate too.  Not caring is a good definition of atheism.  I worry more about people who think they are "atheist" because they dislike some particular theism.  I've met many like that over the years.

(09-17-2019, 01:58 AM)Unsapien Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 08:45 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

I agree, however I do care about the harm various god-concepts can cause.

Of course, but our species is troubled now by more then just the damage god-concepts can do, I see more and more nonreligious people believing in things like homeopathy, holistic medicine, anti-vax crap that maybe...

...this is an intro thread and I should stop.

That's an interesting claim.  I don't know a single atheist who is anti-vac, into holistic medicine, or homeopathy.  Can you offer any information about that?  I'm not saying you can't be right.  The number of atheists I know is limited.  But if you have information about that, I sure would like to see it.  Even personal experience would be informative.