Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Wisconsin

From Wisconsin
Hello!  The "WI" is for Wisconsin.  The "Charlie" is an old camp nickname that I called myself decades ago when I worked at a resident girl scout camp while I was in college.  I'm a grown woman, just turned 60, married to the love of my life with two grown sons.  I was raised as a Christian Scientist.  Bugger that!  It is neither Christian nor scientific.  It's crazy, mess-with-your-head, "psycho-wards-awaiting" kind of crap!  Tried to wash it all off of me way back when I was a young adult.  Eventually met my husband and have been a good girl, making everyone happy but me, by attending regular church.  Just don't think I can do it anymore.  My husband's still a believer though, so don't want to hurt his feelings.  Looking for supportive types to help me cut the cord and live a free life.  I just can't stomach the religious BS anymore.

Taught special Ed. high school decades ago, and then worked as a stay-at-home Mom.  Trying to restart the writing career that I always wanted.  It's never too late to start, yes?  Writing a book.  Other interests: genealogy, animal rights, board games, turning the dusty bit of yard in the back of the house into a garden that doesn't suck.

Previous forum experience:  Guinea pig rescue (Now, go ahead and laugh if you must!).  Was involved in guinea pig rescue for some 7 years.  Needed something to do to override the boredom of kid raising.  Saved hundreds of the stinky little fur critters.  Met some really good people.  Met some really sucky people.  Won't be doing anymore of it but came out of retirement long enough to take down a local animal hoarder.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

WICharlie
Formerly WiCharlie Sun

From Wisconsin
Welcome. Quite a few interesting people post here.

From Wisconsin
Welcome!

From Wisconsin
(08-18-2019, 01:55 AM)WICharlie Wrote: Hello!  The "WI" is for Wisconsin.  The "Charlie" is an old camp nickname that I called myself decades ago when I worked at a resident girl scout camp while I was in college.  I'm a grown woman, just turned 60, married to the love of my life with two grown sons.  I was raised as a Christian Scientist.  Bugger that!  It is neither Christian nor scientific.  It's crazy, mess-with-your-head, "psycho-wards-awaiting" kind of crap!  Tried to wash it all off of me way back when I was a young adult.  Eventually met my husband and have been a good girl, making everyone happy but me, by attending regular church.  Just don't think I can do it anymore.  My husband's still a believer though, so don't want to hurt his feelings.  Looking for supportive types to help me cut the cord and live a free life.  I just can't stomach the religious BS anymore.

Taught special Ed. high school decades ago, and then worked as a stay-at-home Mom.  Trying to restart the writing career that I always wanted.  It's never too late to start, yes?  Writing a book.  Other interests: genealogy, animal rights, board games, turning the dusty bit of yard in the back of the house into a garden that doesn't suck.

Previous forum experience:  Guinea pig rescue (Now, go ahead and laugh if you must!).  Was involved in guinea pig rescue for some 7 years.  Needed something to do to override the boredom of kid raising.  Saved hundreds of the stinky little fur critters.  Met some really good people.  Met some really sucky people.  Won't be doing anymore of it but came out of retirement long enough to take down a local animal hoarder.

WICharlie

Welcome!  Pull up a chair and chime right in!  Chitchat
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

From Wisconsin
C'mon mods.  Hurry up and activate her account.

Hello Charlie.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

From Wisconsin
Howdy WI. Spec Ed, that was, if you will pardon the expression, God's work, so thanks and good for you.

From Wisconsin
Hello.
I like cheese.
I heard the green cheese the moon is made of came from Wisconsin.
Whistling
Test

From Wisconsin
Welcome! I was born in beautiful Madison. It's really a lovely state.
Nice to meet you Smile

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Mark

From Wisconsin
Welcome!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

From Wisconsin
Hi!  I don’t think we have many former Christian Scientists here.  I’m hoping to learn some stuff from your posts.
god, ugh

From Wisconsin
Welcome! Nice to meet you Big Grin glad you found us. We have a Personal Issues and Support forum where you can seek advice and support about everyday life, or leaving religion here. We have a lot of supportive folks here Thumbs Up
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”

From Wisconsin
welcome Charlie!
Never too late to start a dream.

From Wisconsin
(08-18-2019, 01:55 AM)WICharlie Wrote: Hello!  The "WI" is for Wisconsin.  The "Charlie" is an old camp nickname that I called myself decades ago when I worked at a resident girl scout camp while I was in college.  I'm a grown woman, just turned 60, married to the love of my life with two grown sons.  I was raised as a Christian Scientist.  Bugger that!  It is neither Christian nor scientific.  It's crazy, mess-with-your-head, "psycho-wards-awaiting" kind of crap!  Tried to wash it all off of me way back when I was a young adult.  Eventually met my husband and have been a good girl, making everyone happy but me, by attending regular church.  Just don't think I can do it anymore.  My husband's still a believer though, so don't want to hurt his feelings.  Looking for supportive types to help me cut the cord and live a free life.  I just can't stomach the religious BS anymore.

WICharlie

Welcome.

My US geography is a bit fuzzy. Could you name some neighbouring states please. I'm familiar with NY city, a bit of Connecticut, rural Illinois and  Seattle/ Washington State.

60 you you say? Not even close to being one of our older members. The range here is pretty broad. 

I empathise with your situation. When I was a lot shorter and  a lot narrower, I remember  a  lovely Christian Scientist  friend of my mother . She developed cancer and died, within a very short time. My mother was deeply distressed and livid  with the stupid cow.

From Wisconsin

Hey, very glad to meet you.  Sounds like you've had a tough time of it.  Christian Science has got to be one of the worst.  

If you are happy with your husband but just don't want to do church anymore I encourage you to let him know .. both how you feel about him and how you feel about going to church every week when you're dead tired of it.

(08-18-2019, 01:55 AM)WICharlie Wrote: Taught special Ed. high school decades ago, and then worked as a stay-at-home Mom.  Trying to restart the writing career that I always wanted.  It's never too late to start, yes?  Writing a book.  Other interests: genealogy, animal rights, board games, turning the dusty bit of yard in the back of the house into a garden that doesn't suck.

WICharlie

Nice introduction!  So few are as forthcoming.  I've also taught school but middle school math.  But that was maybe 4 or 5 years ago.  Now I work at the Y.  Not as a job but for the sake of keeping a body up that will get me around where I want to go.  I hope you're taking care of yourself too.  I'm six years longer in the tooth than you but I'm back at a survivable weight and hope to keep it that way.

Good luck with garden aspirations.  That is my number one obsession these days.  Happy to chat more with you about the garden.  I'm in Berkeley, California.  If you happen to find yourself nearby some time, you'll have to come by with your husband  to have tea in my garden with me and my wife.  (She is a life-long atheist who cannot understand what there is to talk about to justify a site like this, but she does like hearing the odd exchange I share with her.)

Good for you for helping a guinea pig out that was down on its luck.  I'm a dog guy myself and that's my youngest in my avatar pic.  But I absolutely value having non-human creatures in my life.

Hope you have a good time here!
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Smercury44

From Wisconsin
Welcome.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

From Wisconsin
Welcome
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

From Wisconsin
Welcome Woof!

My wife's catholic lite and we make it work. Will it hurt your husbands feelings if you stop attending church? Also, what do you/your husband consider a "regular" church? (maybe you meant regular attendance)
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

From Wisconsin
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Sun
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

From Wisconsin
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes.

Wisconsin is nestled between Illinois and the great lakes. Michigan up at the top.

My husband and I are members of a Lutheran church. We have had a lot of talks about this. He believes in God but is not a strong Lutheran. He will go with whatever I decide. I think pulling away is not so much him as me. The only thing that has kept me going there so long is that I love to sing in the choir. But I feel weird singing songs about stuff that I don't believe in. Instead, been thinking of seeing if I can join the choir at the local university that accepts the public. Been attending this church for two decades. Change is hard. Leaving people that I've known that long is hard. Lots of them are hypocrites though. My husband worked as a pharmacist until he retired. So many church members are nice to your face at church and then treated him like crap when they came in to get prescriptions. What happened to the Christian love? Haha.
Formerly WiCharlie Sun
The following 3 users Like Charladele's post:
  • SYZ, Tres Leches, Smercury44

From Wisconsin
Congrats on escaping from the Church of Oxymoronism.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

From Wisconsin
Welcome from a Canuck atheist married to a Catholic woman.

There's a lot of us out there that understand where you're coming from.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • skyking

From Wisconsin
Hiyas, Charlie.

(08-18-2019, 03:44 AM)grympy Wrote: US geography is a bit fuzzy. Could you name some neighbouring states please. 

Wisconsin is the state immediately north of Illinois, in the northern Mississippi River valley.
On hiatus.

From Wisconsin
(08-18-2019, 02:13 PM)WICharlie Wrote: Thank you so much for the warm welcomes.

The only thing that has kept me going there so long is that I love to sing in the choir.  But I feel weird singing songs about stuff that I don't believe in. 

Eddie feels your pain.

https://es-la.facebook.com/NCCLaguna/vid...323242873/
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

From Wisconsin
(08-18-2019, 02:13 PM)WICharlie Wrote: Thank you so much for the warm welcomes.

Wisconsin is nestled between Illinois and the great lakes.  Michigan up at the top.

My husband and I are members of a Lutheran church.  We have had a lot of talks about this.  He believes in God but is not a strong Lutheran.  He will go with whatever I decide.  I think pulling away is not so much him as me.  The only thing that has kept me going there so long is that I love to sing in the choir.  But I feel weird singing songs about stuff that I don't believe in.  Instead, been thinking of seeing if I can join the choir at the local university that accepts the public.  Been attending this church for two decades.  Change is hard.  Leaving people that I've known that long is hard.  Lots of them are hypocrites though.  My husband worked as a pharmacist until he retired.  So many church members are nice to your face at church and then treated him like crap when they came in to get prescriptions.  What happened to the Christian love?  Haha.

Lutheran, I escaped them in my early teens but that's another story. My parents attended mostly for town political/business appearances. 

You don't need to leave your friends, just meet them outside church. Or, as a compromise with your hubby and to ease your way out, attend church on a less frequent basis. 

Not sure how big your community is but you might try meetup.com to find some secular activities to join. 

Best of luck.

(waves at the count/pour/lick/stick guy)
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

From Wisconsin
(08-18-2019, 01:55 AM)WICharlie Wrote: Looking for supportive types to help me cut the cord...

You just need the right tool, madam.

[Image: 181024-weill-pizza-cutter-plot-tease_otpytx]

I'm joking with ya. Tongue

Welcome.  Shy No worries; we'll get that awful shit burned off, right quick! Hug