Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jar foods

Jar foods
(08-11-2019, 01:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: She's putting me on ignore  Weeping

I meant more the real dicky thing. Tongue Sadly, the other variety is way harder to avoid, esp. in real life, and esp. for people who insist on seeing the best in... well, even dicks. And I'll keep doing it.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: jhsbbo.jpg]
On hiatus.

Jar foods
Oh yes, I like pickled Herring in cream sauce. Yum!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • brewerb, Jenny, Gwaithmir, SYZ

Jar foods
I've never bought this from a store but it's county and state fair time, there will be some for sale at the local farmers markets. Is this only a US midwest thing?

[Image: 41l2pw9igGL.jpg]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-11-2019, 01:56 PM)brewerb Wrote: I've never bought this from a store but it's county and state fair time, there will be some for sale at the local farmers markets. Is this only a US midwest thing?

[Image: 41l2pw9igGL.jpg]

Never seen it before.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: 262_1108_large.jpg]
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: sk-2017_04_featured_listing_mobile.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
Um... peanut butter and dill pickles?  Seriously mate?     Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
Where's the love for this delicacy?!?
[Image: Manischewitz_-_Gefilte_Fish_in_Liquid_bc...1496936199]

Big Grin 

[Image: Vomit_02.gif]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
(08-12-2019, 04:06 PM)SYZ Wrote: Um... peanut butter and dill pickles?  Seriously mate?     Big Grin

When I was a kid, a favorite snack was cutting the top off a kosher dill, scooping out the middle, and stuffing it with peanut butter. I know it sounds weird, but my young self loved it.

Been decades since I've had one. May have to put one together.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Jenny, SYZ

Jar foods
(08-12-2019, 08:06 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Where's the love for this delicacy?!?

Big Grin 

The time for surstromming is nearing, I see.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Jenny, TheGentlemanBastard

Jar foods
(08-13-2019, 01:44 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 08:06 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Where's the love for this delicacy?!?

Big Grin 

The time for surstromming is nearing, I see.

Wikipedia Wrote:During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while allowing it to ferment. A fermentation process of at least six months gives the fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even stronger than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya.

Yeah, that sure makes me want to run out and get some.  Dodgy
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Jenny, TheGentlemanBastard

Jar foods
[Image: 7076_1.jpg]

Q.E.D.

P.S. I prefer the crunchy variety but I can't eat it anymore due to it irritating my gums.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
[Image: o.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Vera, Chas, Jenny, skyking

Jar foods
(08-12-2019, 04:06 PM)SYZ Wrote: Um... peanut butter and dill pickles?  Seriously mate?     Big Grin

Well, they're both out of jars, so they're appropriate for this thread. How appropriate a combination for eating they are, however, I have absolutely no idea.  Whistling

I've had crunchy peanut butter sandwiches (toasted) with slices of Vidalia Onion and they were good.  Tongue
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Jenny

Jar foods
Olives. Whole olives, sliced olives. I add this to my morning salads. Olives stuffed with garlic, or stuffed with almonds, (hard to find). Small cocktail onions. Why do olives come in jars, but ripe olives come in cans?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • skyking, Jenny

Jar foods
(08-10-2019, 09:26 PM)Vera Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 08:01 PM)Alan V Wrote: Amish chow-chow (picked vegetables) looks like your second picture, and is one of my favorite "jar foods".

They do appear to be similar. Like a lot of foods in the Balkans, ours appears to be of Middle Eastern origin

"In Bulgarian cuisine, the most popular types are tsarska turshiya ("king's pickle") and selska turshiya ("country pickle"). Toursi is a traditional appetizer (meze) to go with arak, rakı, ouzo, tsipouro, and rakia.

Tsarska turshiya is made with cauliflower, red peppers, carrots, and celery. The vegetables are mixed with some salt and sugar and left overnight. The next day the juice is mixed with vinegar and boiled for several minutes. The vegetables are put in glass jars and pressed down with cherry twigs and a round river stone, then the jars are filled with the cooled pickle marinade.

Selska turshiya is made with green peppers, green tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, and celery. The vegetables are put in a container, pressed down with some twigs and a stone, and a marinade made of salt, vinegar and water is poured on. The pickles are left to ferment."

[Image: domashnacarskaturshiq.jpg]

Can't wait to go back to the food of home!

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5277207]

The Italians make something  which looks like the same thing, called 'giardiniera'  .

My current favourite is "Bread and butter cucumbers" .  Look to me as if they're made from dill cucumbers .Sliced into rounds ,and pickled, with vinegar and a lot of sugar.   Great  with a corned beef sandwich. 

Link to a recipe :

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/brea...er-pickles
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • SYZ, Jenny