Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia Game #11 - Go to the Polls! Primary Elections

Hello Voters!  Welcome to the most wonderful part of election season, the primaries!  It may seem like everyone is on the same team, but in reality, they aren't.  Can you tell the Empty Suit from the (mostly) Honest Politician?
The goal of this game is to get the right politician for your team elected on Election Day! (Day 4 of the game), or if you are the politicians, to be elected!

Game set-up:

Empty Suit - Cannot vote. Player, but not alignment, is announced by Mod at the beginning of day 1.
Must choose 1 story to leak each night cycle for 3 nights from a selection of 2 positive lies, 1 positive truth, and 1 negative truth. Stories always apply to self.

Honest politician - Cannot vote.  Player, but not alignment, is announced by Mod at the beginning of day 1.
Must choose 1 story to leak each night cycle for 3 nights, from a selection of 2 positive truths, 1 positive lie, and 1 negative truth.  Stories always apply to self.

Social Media Bot - Votes on Day 4. Can communicate with the Empty Suit during night phases. Must choose 1 story to leak each night cycle for 3 nights from a selection of 1 positive truth, 1 negative lie, 1 negative truth and 1 positive lie.  Chooses which candidate their story is applied to.

Fact Checker - Votes on Day 4. Checks one story per day (day ability) results given immediately and announced in the game thread with results: true or lie.

Voters (3) - Votes on Day 4.  No other abilities except their own innate cleverness and wit.

If any player who must chose a story fails to do so, the mod will select one using Random.org.
  • At the beginning of each day phase, starting with day 2, 3 stories will be published by the Mod in the game thread. 
    The Fact checker may select 1 of these three stories to determine if it is true or a lie (By privately asking the Mod).  Results will be given immediately and publically in the thread by the Mod (or as immediately as possible).
  • Day and night phases are 24 hours, each, excluding day 4, Election Day! Which will be 48 hours long to allow the fact checker time to select a story, the mod to respond, and everyone time to carefully consider their vote.
  • The game is gagged, therefore town are not allowed to communicate with each other outside of the thread. Mafia are free to communicate with each other during the night only.
  • The thread will be closed at night.
  • Do not copy and paste or forward anything from a PM sent to you by me. No screen-grabs of any kind or reading out role PMs verbatim in-thread.
  • There are 5 voters on Election Day (4 town and 1 mafia).
  • Roles have been randomly assigned using random.org
  • The politician with the most votes at the end of Election day wins, and their teams win with them.
  • The mod color is Con Man Cayenne, please don't use it!
Player List:
1. Joods
2. Paleo
3. Aliza
4. Mathilda
5. Guley
6. LastPoet
7. Vulcan

Please contact the mod with any questions!  Day one will begin on Thursday at 2pm PST, 9pm GMT.  You should receive your rolls shortly.
The following 8 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Joods, vulcanlogician, Aliza, TheGulegon, Smercury44, Paleophyte, Assassin, Aegon

Welcome to Day 1, and the first Town Hall!

The candidates are Paleophyte and TheGulegon. 

Good luck to both candidates and all voters!
The following 3 users Like Aroura's post:
  • TheGulegon, Smercury44, Paleophyte

Let's start!!!
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

I'm here!

Yaaaaaay!!!! Game time!

Shit the candidates are Paleo and Gully? They're both prone to rolling scum.  hobo

Is it a bad time to do my Homer Stokes impersonation? Worriedsmiley

Brothers and sisters! Oh, brothers and sisters! We have all gathered here, to preserve our hallowed culture and heritage! We aim to pull evil up by the root, before it chokes out the flower of our amalgamation of other's culture and mutt heritage! And our women, let's not forget those ladies, y'all. Looking to us for protection of equality! From darkies conservative harpies, from Jews Woo, from papists... yeah them too, and from all those smart dumb-ass folks say we come descended created from monkeys by an invisible sky daddy!

Atheism, dear America. Atheism now... and forever! Tip hat

Sorry, are we voting for or against the person we think is scum?

(07-25-2019, 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote: Sorry, are we voting for or against the person we think is scum?

When election day comes, you vote for the one you think is town.
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Aliza

[Image: 5291960-3x2-940x627.jpg]

@TheGulegon would you describe your political style as a kind of Warren/Sanders/Harris kind of thing or more of a Trump/Putin sort of thing?

Candidate @Paleophyte, same question for you.

(07-26-2019, 02:32 AM)Aliza Wrote: ... would you describe your political style as a kind of Warren/Sanders/Harris kind of thing or more of a Trump/Putin sort of thing?

I would describe myself more as an FDR kind of candidate. He said there's no mystery to building strength and prosperity. Roosevelt called upon every person to do his & her part, and by and large, the people answered that call. I'm already asking for your vote, but, if elected, I'll be asking for more. I cannot solve all our problems, but together, we can. And we will!
  • Aliza

That was actually quite inspirational!
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • TheGulegon

(07-26-2019, 02:32 AM)Aliza Wrote: @TheGulegon would you describe your political style as a kind of Warren/Sanders/Harris kind of thing or more of a Trump/Putin sort of thing?

Candidate @Paleophyte, same question for you.

My style is definitely not a Trump/Putin "sort of thing". Where's the shuddering emoticon when I need one? I suspect that I'm more of a Warren/Sanders/Harris kind of thing but haven't been following them closely. I'm probably more of a Trudeau kind of thing.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Aliza

I'm trying to figure out how town wins this one.

I can claim to be the Honest Politician, but so will Guley and we have no easy way of identifying the bot lurking amongst us. You'd have to be daftt to simply take our word for it so I doubt that we'll get much before the first batch of stories is released on Day 2. It doesn't look to me as if there's much to differentiate us at this point and no way to easily apply pressure. Dunno 

As far as I can tell our jobs are to:
 - Sort the politicians
 - Hunt the media bot
but I'm not seeing a clear and easy way to achieve that. Thoughts anybody?

(07-26-2019, 03:33 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I'm trying to figure out how town wins this one.

I can claim to be the Honest Politician, but so will Guley and we have no easy way of identifying the bot lurking amongst us. You'd have to be daftt to simply take our word for it so I doubt that we'll get much before the first batch of stories is released on Day 2. It doesn't look to me as if there's much to differentiate us at this point and no way to easily apply pressure. Dunno 

- Sort the politicians
 - Hunt the media bot

Yeah, how do you think the US and GB lost so bad. We can't differentiate the good guy from the bad guy.

I think it's as if town and scum are democrats & republicans. The greens want the green candidate voted in to win, and the reds want the red candidate voted in to win. And the voters vote, on day 4.

@Aroura If that^ ain't right, correct me, please.
  • Aliza

(07-26-2019, 03:39 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 03:33 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: I'm trying to figure out how town wins this one.

- Sort the politicians
 - Hunt the media bot

Yeah, how do you think the US and GB lost so bad. We can't differentiate the good guy from the bad guy.

You'd think that it would be easier to distinguish between somebody who mismanages her e-mails and a serial sexual predator but the data clearly suggests otherwise.
  • Aliza

(07-26-2019, 03:43 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: I think it's as if town and scum are democrats & republicans. The greens want the green candidate voted in to win, and the reds want the red candidate voted in to win. And the voters vote, on day 4.

That's the endgame as I understand it. I'm trying to see how town avoids picking the red candidate by mistake.

(07-26-2019, 04:13 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: That's the endgame as I understand it. I'm trying to see how town avoids picking the red candidate by mistake.

Well, we start by asking the candidates, "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"

(07-26-2019, 03:43 AM)TheGulegon Wrote: I think it's as if town and scum are democrats & republicans. The greens want the green candidate voted in to win, and the reds want the red candidate voted in to win. And the voters vote, on day 4.

It's not really specified, but in my head, since it's a primary, both are Democrats.  Red is like the "establishment" politician.  They don't want change, they don't care about helping the average voter, but they will pretend they do to get votes. (Think how Joe Biden called himself the most progressive candidate).
Green is like Warren/Sanders, or anyone who's more of an outsider who's really in it to make change, not just to make money.

So both are technically the same party.  Hope that makes sense.

But that's all just flavor anyway. Angel
It doesn't really matter.  They could stand for any similar relevant political situation of your choice.  Imagine it however you like. :Smile

(07-26-2019, 04:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 04:13 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: That's the endgame as I understand it. I'm trying to see how town avoids picking the red candidate by mistake.

Well, we start by asking the candidates, "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"

I'm not a witch! I'm a politician. Though I view an honest politician as significantly less plausible than witches, leprechauns or unicorns.

I will go on record as saying that while I'm probably a crappy politician in the sense that I'd be bad at the job I do have your best interests at heart and am not seeking the office of God-Emperor of Earth just to maintain some vapid status-quo dream of an imagined yesteryear. I may be a scoundrel and a knave but I will lie and cheat in your service, not to your faces.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Aliza, LastPoet

I'm here, I am here! At work, so we have an honest politician. Ahahah, only in mafia games you could find one Tongue
The following 3 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Mathilda, Paleophyte, Joods

God-Emperor of Earth may sound a bit over the top, but we live in an era of global issues that require global leadership. We can no longer afford the petty squabbling of individual nation states that arose half a millenium or more ago. It is our existence as a species that is at stake now and we must either face that together. No one nation can speak for humanity.

One of the single greatest challenges that we face today is Global Climate Change. I vow to remove the current patchwork of carbon taxes (or lack thereof) and instead tax fossil fuel production directly. Let's stop this at the source rather than waiting for the coal to reach the furnace. All revenues will be reinvested in innovative forms of energy production and improvements to efficiency. I can go into the details of this plan but will allow Guley to take a stand on the mater first.
  • Aliza

The funny part in this is that I don't say I am a crook. Every politician is. But I am a decent crook invested in installing a quirky NHS, schools and education, faulty they might be, and try to balance the budget. Also strict regulations on guns, including psych evals and heavy taxing on gun sellers. If we can put taxes on tobbaco, alcohol guns and the other luxury resources, we can then use that income to not make America great, but to make it a better place.