Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bowl of cherries

A bowl of cherries
That's what I am looking at - a big bowl of juicy, sweet, black cherries.

I made the mistake of shopping while having the munchies yesterday. I love fruit, and a lot are in season and at their peak now. So I was like a kid in a candy store.

I brought home: Said bowl of cherries, a big bunch of red grapes, a huge cantaloupe, 3 perfect mangos, and 8 bananas. 

Now, more often than not I have a banana for breakfast, so that's ok. But, that bowl of cherries will not agree with my digestive system, they are like prunes to me. I adore them, but have to limit myself. But they are also like peanuts to me - once you eat one, you can't stop. All that shiny, black, juicy deliciousness before me...

I suppose I will have to go on a fruit and veggie diet for a while now, I went equally crazy in the veggie section. 

Note to self: Never go to market while having the munchies... Tongue
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Phaedrus, Jenny, Astreja, Marozz

A bowl of cherries
I must have done about the same thing. Came home with blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines and bananas. Breakfast for tomorrow with yogurt or heavy cream plus granola.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
Ripe fruit is one of life's greatest pleasures.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, Jenny, Gwaithmir

A bowl of cherries
Do yo have enough to make a pie? 

I couldn’t make a pie at gun point, but you could probably use the cherries and everything else you bought and have something you could enjoy a bit and then give away or freeze or refrigerate.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • skyking

A bowl of cherries
(07-21-2019, 10:08 PM)julep Wrote: Do yo have enough to make a pie? 

I couldn’t make a pie at gun point, but you could probably use the cherries and everything else you bought and have something you could enjoy a bit and then give away or freeze or refrigerate.

Ya well, firstly, I don't do added sugar. I can't think of any pies that don't require sugar. Also, I don't want to bake in a heat wave. The oven is a no-no right now. That's part of what turned me on about the fruit - it's hot out there and fruit is refreshing. 

So my punishment is that I will be forced to eat all that delicious fruit...
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • skyking

A bowl of cherries
(07-21-2019, 10:15 PM)Dom Wrote:

Ya well, firstly, I don't do added sugar. I can't think of any pies that don't require sugar. Also, I don't want to bake in a heat wave. The oven is a no-no right now. That's part of what turned me on about the fruit - it's hot out there and fruit is refreshing. 

Soooo sad for you!   

Though maybe you could outsource the pie production aspect.  Tell some friend with better AC that you will give the rest of your cherries/fruit for their pie, but they have to give you a teeny piece of the pie as compensation.  

I imagine there aren’t enough cherries left now for this to be more than an academic discussion, though.
god, ugh

A bowl of cherries
(07-21-2019, 10:25 PM)julep Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 10:15 PM)Dom Wrote:

Soooo sad for you!   

I imagine there aren’t enough cherries left now for this to be more than an academic discussion, though.

Tongue

A bowl of cherries
The cherries and cantaloupe would likely kill me, so you are welcome to them Big Grin

A bowl of cherries
You can keep the cherries, but I ate a whole watermelon last weekend. Weeping
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
I have a cherry story........................no, it's not what you think.   Dodgy  (You guys have dirty minds)

When I was about 13  my mother and I went to visit my two brothers who lived up in British Columbia in cabins they'd built out in the woods.  There was no indoor plumbing. They had some cherry trees so one of my brothers picked a bowl of cherries for desert.  I ate a few but not many.  A few hours later in the middle of the night I got violently sick.   Stuff was coming out  both ends.  I tried to make it to the outhouse in the dark but there was a dog named Buffalo teathered along side the outhouse who was mean as hell and wasn't happy about me throwing up near him.   I made it into the outhouse one time while the dog wasn't looking  but most of the time I would squat on the ground and crap and threw up wherever I could.     

When the sun came up the next morning all I wanted to do was take a shower and clean myself.  There was no bath, no shower. The nearby ice cold river was recommended.  Sorry, but no.  I wanted a warm shower and then a bath.  My mother borrowed one my brothers old broken down cars and drove me to a hotel many miles away and that's were I stayed for the duration of the visit. 

This is one of the reasons I love  modern conveniences. Indoor plumbing; the greatest invention since the wheel.

So that's my cherry story. I've never eaten a cherry since.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Jenny, Dom, Mark, jerry mcmasters

A bowl of cherries
Oh I love cherries. The problem is it's hard to find decent cherries in my neighborhood shops, it's always hit and miss. There is a shop in the city center which sells delicious cherries so when I'm in town I'll get some. I suffer from gout and cherries apparently reduce the risk of flare ups.
The following 1 user Likes Marozz's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
I used to make fruit smoothies. I put them in a blender with some water, drink a glass of it and then freeze the rest in sealable plastic cups. The idea is that it's better to get a regular and varied supply of different vitamins and nutrients rather than eat all the fruit one sitting because the body can't retain may vitamins for too long.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Dom, Fireball

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 03:09 AM)skyking Wrote: The cherries and cantaloupe would likely kill me, so you are welcome to them Big Grin

How come?

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 04:15 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I have a cherry story........................no, it's not what you think.   Dodgy  (You guys have dirty minds)

When I was about 13  my mother and I went to visit my two brothers who lived up in British Columbia in cabins they'd built out in the woods.  There was no indoor plumbing. They had some cherry trees so one of my brothers picked a bowl of cherries for desert.  I ate a few but not many.  A few hours later in the middle of the night I got violently sick.   Stuff was coming out  both ends.  I tried to make it to the outhouse in the dark but there was a dog named Buffalo teathered along side the outhouse who was mean as hell and wasn't happy about me throwing up near him.   I made it into the outhouse one time while the dog wasn't looking  but most of the time I would squat on the ground and crap and threw up wherever I could.     

When the sun came up the next morning all I wanted to do was take a shower and clean myself.  There was no bath, no shower. The nearby ice cold river was recommended.  Sorry, but no.  I wanted a warm shower and then a bath.  My mother borrowed one my brothers old broken down cars and drove me to a hotel many miles away and that's were I stayed for the duration of the visit. 

This is one of the reasons I love  modern conveniences. Indoor plumbing; the greatest invention since the wheel.

I used to eat fruit off gramp's fruit trees before they were properly ripe. Made me sick but apparently didn't deter me in the least.

Well, I ate all but a few of those cherries yesterday, and I am fine today. Yeah!

A bowl of cherries
I regularly eat raspberries and strawberries from the plants growing in our garden when out inspecting them.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 02:29 PM)Mathilda Wrote: I regularly eat raspberries and strawberries from the plants growing in our garden when out inspecting them.

Those are the best! Anything ripe you can eat off the tree, vine or shrub is at it's peak of flavor. I grow a bunch of fruit for that reason, I just go outside in the morning and graze.  Big Grin
  • Mathilda

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 04:15 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I have a cherry story........................no, it's not what you think.   Dodgy  (You guys have dirty minds)

Well if I'd lost cherries from both ends at the same time I don't think I'd want any more either.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 12:53 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 03:09 AM)skyking Wrote: The cherries and cantaloupe would likely kill me, so you are welcome to them Big Grin

How come?

I could eat cantaloupe and cherries till about 14, then developed Oral Allergy Syndrome ( OAS).
I was always allergic to Honeydew. Mom recalled slicing one open when I was about eye level to the countertop, and my eyes swelled shut!!

A bowl of cherries

LOL, at gunpoint. My wife calls her piecrust " fruit jail" 
Big Grin
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • julep, Fireball

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 07:36 PM)skyking Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 12:53 PM)Dom Wrote:

How come?

I could eat cantaloupe and cherries till about 14, then developed Oral Allergy Syndrome ( OAS).
I was always allergic to Honeydew. Mom recalled slicing one open when I was about eye level to the countertop, and my eyes swelled shut!!

Allergies are weird. I am picking up more the older I get.

A bowl of cherries
(07-21-2019, 02:03 PM)Dom Wrote: Note to self: Never go to market while having the munchies... Tongue

And don't go planting a cherry tree in the garden you most often enjoy toking up in! Tongue
The following 3 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Fireball, jerry mcmasters, Mathilda

A bowl of cherries
(07-22-2019, 07:40 PM)skyking Wrote:

LOL, at gunpoint. My wife calls her piecrust " fruit jail" 
Big Grin

More shortening. My mother could make a pie crust that literally took hammering with a fork to break it. We were poor, and shortening was on the list of things to conserve. Camon, it wasn't that expensive!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

A bowl of cherries
No more salty snacks for me after my recent hospital stay. I've just put cherries on my shopping list, along with other fruits and raw veggies.  Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom

A bowl of cherries
(07-23-2019, 12:18 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: No more salty snacks for me after my recent hospital stay. I've just put cherries on my shopping list, along with other fruits and raw veggies.  Big Grin

Melons are in season, as are grapes and mangos.

Melons with a smooth surface - knock on their side and it should have a sort of hollow sound. 

Melons with textured surfaces - press on the spot where the stem was and smell. Should have aroma. They can be discolored (from lying on the ground) but not dented (bruised). They should give just a little to pressure.

Grapes are pretty much all good. Mangos may give a little when squeezed lightly, or be hard. This lets you decide when you plan to eat it... Squishy is bad, shrivelly is ok, actually a bit sweeter that way. 

Black cherries are usually great, as are the yellow ones. Cherries won't keep long. 

Try not to refrigerate fruit, they lose sweetness. But they do keep longer...

Nature's candy. Fruit can be addictive.

Also in season - avocados. If they give a little they are ready to eat. I often buy one that is ready and the rest hard. I put the hard ones in the fridge and pull them out a few days before I want to eat them and let them ripen. Avocados with an air bubble under the skin are bad!
  • Gwaithmir

A bowl of cherries
(07-21-2019, 02:03 PM)Dom Wrote: All that shiny, black, juicy deliciousness before me...

Shock
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Dom, Fireball