Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP GirlyMan

RIP GirlyMan
he seemed ok

RIP GirlyMan
Rest in peace Girly; may have clashed at times with him, but always had nothing but my utmost respect.
Catholic sandworm...really needs to check board more.
The following 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post:
  • Free, Unsapien, Marozz, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh, adey67

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 01:27 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: he seemed ok

Wasn't bad, for a Caucasian.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Free

RIP GirlyMan
his affinity to wierd was wired.

RIP GirlyMan
heck I might be next, if I see him I will mention you

RIP GirlyMan
Huh... 

Bob shuffled off his mortal coil to go meet himself in the sky. 

Probably the most influential person I've ever had the privilege of interacting with, online or otherwise. Hard to believe he's not with us anymore. 

Such a unique soul, this world is worse off without him for sure, but better that he was here regardless.

Been cutting down but I've got one shot of whiskey left in the bottle been sitting for a while now on the counter. Looks like it was there for a reason.

Cheers my friend, it was nothing but a pleasure knowing you. Gonna miss it. 

Goddammit.

RIP GirlyMan
Oh my. @Chas thank you for letting us know.

This is such sad news.
The following 7 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Jenny, Free, Shai Hulud, TheGulegon, Dancefortwo, Marozz, Kim

RIP GirlyMan
Bob was in his late 50s, certainly too soon to leave.  He and I had talked about his illness (esophageal cancer) as I had been diagnosed around the same time with it's precursor, Barret's Esophagus.  I was treated and am ok for now.  He was not so fortunate.
My doctor had said about it that there were no good treatments and no good outcomes.  His doctors were more optimistic and that had given us both some hope and comfort.

I have thought about him a lot today and how much  I will miss his presence, our running routines and jokes, our shared love of the beauty of math, the universe, and everything.  
I will burn an embassy in his memory.

Another of Bob's favorites:

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

RIP GirlyMan
Death is one of those things that we know is inevitable, but is still never at the right time. GirlyMan always cracked me up with his antics.  Hug
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 5 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Aliza, Dancefortwo, Unsapien, Marozz, skyking

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 03:11 AM)Chas Wrote: Bob was in his late 50s, certainly too soon to leave.  He and I had talked about his illness (esophageal cancer) as I had been diagnosed around the same time with it's precursor, Barret's Esophagus.  I was treated and am ok for now.  He was not so fortunate.
My doctor had said about it that there were no good treatments and no good outcomes.  His doctors were more optimistic and that had given us both some hope and comfort.

I have thought about him a lot today and how much  I will miss his presence, our running routines and jokes, our shared love of the beauty of math, the universe, and everything.  
I will burn an embassy in his memory.

Another of Bob's favorites:

I’m so glad you are doing okay, Chas  Hug
The following 3 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Chas, skyking

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 12:20 AM)Mark Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 11:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

Girly Dance:  Choreographed by GirlyMan

Performed by: GirlyMan

I can't quite make out what he says at the end but he is totally channelling one of those wind-up chimp dolls with cymbals.

Not the one I was looking for but here's the one I found:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone dance like that. It's oddly beautiful. What a charming man!  Oh dear, I'll miss him.  Sadcryface
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Jenny, skyking, Smercury44

RIP GirlyMan
(07-17-2019, 11:01 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

[Image: F4NmBa7.png]
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Kim, Smercury44

RIP GirlyMan
Can we start a "Atheist Discussion Hall of Fame", of which Girly will be the first entrant? Could include any photos/videos we have on him as well as comments from posters etc. Maybe a locked section that we add to at later times?
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • ghostexorcist, Jenny, Dancefortwo

RIP GirlyMan
I was both shocked and saddened a few minutes ago when I read of GirlyMan's passing.
Of course I never met him other than online, but I always enjoyed his self-deprecating,
droll sense of humour, and also his incisive comments of matters that affect us all. He'll
be a sorely missed presence here.

Rest peacefully mate.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 9 users Like SYZ's post:
  • OakTree500, Deesse23, Unsapien, Jenny, Marozz, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Kim, Aliza

RIP GirlyMan
OMG I just saw this Sad RIP Girly, I will miss your humor and presence.
The following 4 users Like JDog554's post:
  • OakTree500, Marozz, skyking, Aliza

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 07:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The dance he does in the first video should be made into an avatar in his honor.  I don't know how to do stuff like that or if it's even possible to create an avatar from a video but it would be so fun.  Here he is again.

My faculties in video editing are a bit rusty, since I haven't worked the field for over a decade and ain't up to scratch. But you can turn parts of a video into an animated gif, which is a very small file that could be easily uploaded as an avatar. Provided the site allows for animated gifs to be used as avatars.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Aliza, skyking

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Mark Wrote: Started to go on about my business (what there is of it) but feeling listless.  Then I remembered that Girly had died and I got that what-difference-does-it-make feeling.  Now I remember, I always feel that way on a death day.  Usually I just think about the person who has died and my own mortality.  Trouble is I never knew Girly that well, so I appreciate you who did sharing.  

It never makes me sad but it does seem important to let it be what it is for the day.  In the end, the feeling about doing things not mattering goes away to be replaced by a feeling of liberation.  The feeling of listlessness gets replaced by one of opportunity, albeit with limitations.  So life is precious and something to be savored.  But feelings won't be pushed around or forced.  Today is a death day.

... and we look at its face.

Nothin' wrong with that, just gotta be.

My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Mark, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Aliza

RIP GirlyMan
Of all of us angered by Seth "the rat" Andrews and how he went about shutting down  TFTSNBN Girly was so livid he was almost incandescent, I had never seen him enraged until that time. My point? Girly really cared about the forum generally and he really cared about its members and friends on it. For want of a better term we were so blessed to have him and clearly he loved us too in his own GirlyMan way.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

RIP GirlyMan
Didn't get to know him well. Seemed like a jovial type of guy. Hope he lived to the fullest.
The following 1 user Likes Red Belt's post:
  • Jenny

RIP GirlyMan
Can't say that I really knew him but it is still sad piece of news.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Alan V

RIP GirlyMan
I want to hire a bunch of Sumo wrestlers, to do battle, at his going away party!
The following 9 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Jenny, Dom, Kim, Smercury44, Vera, Peanut, evenheathen, Mark

RIP GirlyMan
(07-18-2019, 07:10 PM)TheGulegon Wrote: I want to hire a bunch of Sumo wrestlers, to do battle, at his going away party!

... dressed up as bears. Everyone gets a hug, whether they want it or not!
On hiatus.
The following 11 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGulegon, Jenny, Dom, Kim, Fireball, Smercury44, Vera, EvieTheAvocado, Dancefortwo, skyking, Mark

RIP GirlyMan
I'm crushed by the selfish notion that there is one less to share certain memories.

One day further away
tomorrow will be even further

Weeping

Thank you, Chas. Hug I'm glad you are here.

RIP GirlyMan
I never really got to know GirlyMan in the short time we shared this forum, but after reading through this thread I feel a deep loss. Not for what it is lost, but for what now can never be gained. I posted this at another forum when an online friend there passed, and was greatly comforted by the words. I post it here in hopes that others will find the comfort I did in them.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

~Dylan Thomas
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 11 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Jenny, Free, Aliza, Marozz, Kim, adey67, Dancefortwo, skyking, Mark, SYZ, Unsapien

RIP GirlyMan
This is heartbreaking. Girly was a role model and a virtual parent for me in my adolescence. Words cannot express the grief. I had a lotta love for him.