Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Peanut Gallery: Interview request with an American conservative

Interesting. I think different options are far less important than some would like, or insist they be.

@Percie should give this a shot. He's pretty conservative.
Freedom isn't free.

I'm glad to see the gallery back. Keeps duels from turning into something else. Hope it gets used more. This debate is getting a bit strained, but I'll just say I'm not too surprised, regardless of subject. *waits for what's next from @epronovost *
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I LOL'ed when he said he has no answer for gun violence.

At least he didn't use the NRA line and say we need "more guns!"

Too bad he doesn't know what a fucking militia is but even worse that the supreme court didn't know either.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I've decided to leave the forum. After careful thought, I just don't think this forum is really the place for me. Enjoy the holidays everyone! Stay safe and hopefully, be kind to one another Smile

(10-17-2020, 07:17 PM)Bcat Wrote: I've decided to leave the forum.  After careful thought, I just don't think this forum is really the place for me.  Enjoy the holidays everyone! Stay safe and hopefully, be kind to one another Smile

See you around the internet, yoga lady?

(10-17-2020, 07:17 PM)Bcat Wrote: I've decided to leave the forum.  After careful thought, I just don't think this forum is really the place for me.  Enjoy the holidays everyone! Stay safe and hopefully, be kind to one another Smile

What? Don't go anywhere young lady... Who am I going to talk to about crisps? Oh crap I was having a good day until now.

Tried to PM you...
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Bcat

(10-16-2020, 05:41 PM)Bcat Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 05:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I think this is a topic that should have its own thread, to leave this one uncluttered.

I wasn't suggesting the peanut gallery should be in this thread or in a separate thread.  I was suggesting the interview should stand alone as someone's responses to the questions *they* are being asked without any peanut gallery comments of any kind.  It just seems that would make for a more genuine interview.  Plus, interviews are subjective, so what is there really to comment on? An interviewee is being asked for *their* opinion/thoughts by an interviewer.  Why does anyone else need to be involved? I think the interview section is a really cool aspect of the forum and I wish more people would do it, but if people think they are going to be attacked for their viewpoints on things in a thread run by various forum members, then I think there are members who would be hesitant to sign up for such thing.  Anyway, this is just my opinion.

The interview IS in a separate thread. This originated when Evo was just looking for a debate/interview partner.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Whaaaa? Because You don't like the separate threads? I am totally confused!

Huh
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • c172

Fair winds and following seas, @Bcat. Love ya, hon.
Freedom isn't free.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TonyAnkle, skyking, Aliza, Bcat

(10-17-2020, 08:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 05:09 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I think this is a topic that should have its own thread, to leave this one uncluttered.

I wasn't suggesting the peanut gallery should be in this thread or in a separate thread.  I was suggesting the interview should stand alone as someone's responses to the questions *they* are being asked without any peanut gallery comments of any kind.  It just seems that would make for a more genuine interview.  Plus, interviews are subjective, so what is there really to comment on? An interviewee is being asked for *their* opinion/thoughts by an interviewer.  Why does anyone else need to be involved? I think the interview section is a really cool aspect of the forum and I wish more people would do it, but if people think they are going to be attacked for their viewpoints on things in a thread run by various forum members, then I think there are members who would be hesitant to sign up for such thing.  Anyway, this is just my opinion.

The interview IS in a separate thread. This originated when Evo was just looking for a debate/interview partner.

Perhaps the existence of peanut gallery threads should be agreed upon by both duelists.
Person     Woman     Man     Camera     TV!         Trophy
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Bcat

(10-18-2020, 03:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 08:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 05:41 PM)Bcat Wrote: I wasn't suggesting the peanut gallery should be in this thread or in a separate thread.  I was suggesting the interview should stand alone as someone's responses to the questions *they* are being asked without any peanut gallery comments of any kind.  It just seems that would make for a more genuine interview.  Plus, interviews are subjective, so what is there really to comment on? An interviewee is being asked for *their* opinion/thoughts by an interviewer.  Why does anyone else need to be involved? I think the interview section is a really cool aspect of the forum and I wish more people would do it, but if people think they are going to be attacked for their viewpoints on things in a thread run by various forum members, then I think there are members who would be hesitant to sign up for such thing.  Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Perhaps the existence of peanut gallery threads should be agreed upon by both duelists.

Agreed, that would work. 

This thread was originally the actual dueling thread, while the debaters found each other. I moved it out of the dueling section once they got to debating.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Aliza

@epronovost  and @JimBones

Are you both okay with continuing with the commentary thread, or would you prefer for us to close it down so you can focus on your interview without our sideline comments?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Bcat

I agree that an ongoing commentary is not necessary and likely will never be productive, quite the opposite. It has a chilling effect on the original premise. It distracts from the interview in every possible way.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Bcat

(10-18-2020, 04:52 PM)Aliza Wrote: @epronovost  and @JimBones

Are you both okay with continuing with the commentary thread, or would you prefer for us to close it down so you can focus on your interview without our sideline comments?

I do not think it's a good idea in the current circumstances.
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

Closed thread per the request of a duelist

Please hold comments until we've been welcomed to share them. Smile
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat