Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rap / Hip-Hop recommendations?

Continuing my journey into music, I'm moving onto Rap/hiphop stuff now.

I'm not massively hot on my knowledge of the genre, but used to listen to NWA and some early Dre/Snoop/Eminem stuff in the 90's/early 00's. I used to really like Kanye West, but stopped following him after he became a total asshat.

Looking for anything of those genre's that is good, from any time frame! If anybody knows their stuff on this, let me know Smile

My recommendation:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Rap isn't music.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • OakTree500, SYZ

Don't listen to it!
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Phaedrus, OakTree500, SYZ

(05-16-2019, 01:25 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Continuing my journey into music, I'm moving onto Rap/hiphop stuff now.

I'm not massively hot on my knowledge of the genre, but used to listen to NWA and some early Dre/Snoop/Eminem stuff in the 90's/early 00's. I used to really like Kanye West, but stopped following him after he became a total asshat.

Looking for anything of those genre's that is good, from any time frame! If anybody knows their stuff on this, let me know Smile

I liked Wu-Tang Clan's first album back in the day.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • OakTree500, TheGulegon

Check out Alfa Mist.

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • OakTree500

I believe you gave me this ear wig earlier. Payback bitch!

Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • OakTree500

I hate rap, but am willing to learn. Hoping you get some good suggestions.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • OakTree500

An Aussie journalist has expressed his aversion to the so-called rap music [sic ] style in far better terms than could I.

"Canned crap from rap flunkies who can't sing as they mutter away to a thumping beat—chattering a
useless, deviant monologue of prose with an obligatory video of lecherous beauties fastened to the
performer, and partying like there's no tomorrow...

Rap is the biggest con in the history of music. Rap killed the tune. Imagine Bing Crosby stammering and
stuttering 'White Christmas' or 'True Love'. Imagine Stevie Nicks reciting 'Rhiannon' in a droll monotone.
Imagine 'Stairway to Heaven' with no chorus and no air guitar...

Rap is an asylum for slightly agitated nobodies, getting restless with their limbs and getting intense and
rich on a one-sided, egotistical conversation. Since when did a heavily choreographed troupe with a provocative
dance routine and a heavily tattooed commentator ever properly illustrate a song?"

The Examiner, Tasmania, 29 My 2013.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • OakTree500

Rap is one of those things I don't pursue, but if I am exposed to it on some free form public radio station (Google KEXP, KUOI, KDHX, etc), sometimes I like it. I guess that's alt rap?

Sorry. I'm not being helpful, but I'm a bit of a music nerd, so this is a cool thread.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • OakTree500

(05-16-2019, 03:43 PM)SYZ Wrote: An Aussie journalist has expressed his aversion to the so-called rap music [sic ] style in far better terms than could I.

"Canned crap from rap flunkies who can't sing as they mutter away to a thumping beat—chattering a
useless, deviant monologue of prose with an obligatory video of lecherous beauties fastened to the
performer, and partying like there's no tomorrow...

Rap is the biggest con in the history of music. Rap killed the tune. Imagine Bing Crosby stammering and
stuttering 'White Christmas' or 'True Love'. Imagine Stevie Nicks reciting 'Rhiannon' in a droll monotone.
Imagine 'Stairway to Heaven' with no chorus and no air guitar...

Rap is an asylum for slightly agitated nobodies, getting restless with their limbs and getting intense and
rich on a one-sided, egotistical conversation. Since when did a heavily choreographed troupe with a provocative
dance routine and a heavily tattooed commentator ever properly illustrate a song?"

The Examiner, Tasmania, 29 My 2013.

I do feel it has outstayed its welcome. It no longer carries the political and social impact it originally had. At least not that I have heard.

But what's the next evolution in music? EDM is not the direction I'm going.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...

(05-16-2019, 03:52 PM)c172 Wrote: Rap is one of those things I don't pursue, but if I am exposed to it on some free form public radio station (Google KEXP, KUOI, KDHX, etc), sometimes I like it. I guess that's alt rap?

Sorry. I'm not being helpful, but I'm a bit of a music nerd, so this is a cool thread.
My wife is far more "street" than I ... my roots are in small-town Illinois, hers in small-town Indiana but with a huge detour through late 1960s / early 1970s Berkeley. Since she experienced one of the first forced desegregation / busing experiments as a middle school student from an affluent white neighborhood bussed daily to the "wrong" side of the tracks, she is very familiar with Soul / R&B and seems to regard rap as a natural evolutionary branch from that.

As such ... I get exposed to it like many people get exposed to second-hand smoke. And I appreciate it about as much.

But I'd think to appreciate anything of that sort you have to approach it for what it is, not what it isn't. It isn't melodic (or at least not very) and certainly not lyrical. It has a completely different structure and comes from a completely different place than most popular music. So to my mind, comparisons to Bing Crosby and White Christmas are quite beside the point. It's like comparing acoustic Jazz to the Anvil Chorus or New Age to Gregorian chants. It has to be approached on its own terms. Even though it doesn't float my boat, I can see what others see in it. I think.

Certainly it accurately reflects "street" culture -- the anger and despair, the deprivation and violence -- and if that makes aging crackers like me uncomfortable maybe that's a good thing.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • OakTree500, c172

A Tribe Called Quest: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

The following 1 user Likes Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Rapper's Delight, by The Sugarhill Gang
Bop Gun (One Nation Under A Groove), by Ice Cube feat. George Clinton & The P Funk All Stars.
1st Of Tha Month, by Bone Thugs & Harmony
Black And Yellow, by Wiz Khalifa

If you can listen to Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, but can't listen to Christmas In Hollis by RunDMC, you have no soul taste! Tongue

I'd rather be dipped in honey and fed to fire ants than wilfully listen to rap!
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • TheGulegon

(05-19-2019, 06:13 PM)no one Wrote: I'd rather be dipped in honey and fed to fire ants than wilfully listen to rap!

I used to be the same way with country-western, but good music, and bad music, can be found in them all, so I don't limit myself by whole genres. Tongue

I listen to just about everything, with the exception of radio gaga and rap. My collection ranges from Al Di Meola to ZZ Top. Sinatra to Slayer.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • OakTree500

(05-16-2019, 01:25 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Continuing my journey into music, I'm moving onto Rap/hiphop stuff now.

If you like 90s hip hop and rap, I have a few suggestions Big Grin

Twista

Nas

Outkast

For something newer I loved the Kendrick Lamar album Damn.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • OakTree500

Awesome, thank you for that SMercury!  Thumbs Up

Just gotten through listening to Childish Gambino's stuff. It's fantastic.

Will give those a listen Smile
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Smercury44

(05-20-2019, 08:47 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Awesome, thank you for that SMercury!  Thumbs Up

Just gotten through listening to Childish Gambino's stuff. It's fantastic.

Will give those a listen Smile

Childish Gambino Heart
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • OakTree500

I like 80's and 90's hip hop and rap. Early 2000's were good too. My era of music. I'll post a few diverse types. See which ones are more to your liking.

The following 1 user Likes Red Belt's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Can't go wrong with old PE.

I love Snoop's flow. He has a jazzbo's sense of swing to his rapping, he plays with the beat and it tickles my ears.

TCQ does some great stuff.

G-love and Special Sauce do a great blend of rap, hip-hop, and blues/funk/roots music in a three-piece band format. Amazing stuff.
On hiatus.

I recommend pushing the "off" button.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Don't go near it.
It's not music, by definition.
There are defined elements which constitute music. It lacks one very important one.
It's some sort of rhythmic abomination that the untrained can do, as they can't really produce actual music.
Test