Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaning behind your username/avatar

(05-10-2019, 04:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was stationed in Yokosuka Japan back in the early '80s. I made friends with a JN yard worker and he invited me to sleep over at his house one night. His kids were studying English and wanted some practice. During the night there was an earthquake and the house fell on us. Nobody was injured but when they pulled me out and found out I was a foreigner, military to boot, they insisted on taking me to a hospital for a thorough exam. When I passed that they gave me a ride back to my ship via ambulance. Meanwhile the police had notified their state department who called our embassy who called the base commander who called my ship to let them know where I was and that I'd be returned to US custody if I was okay.

When the ambulance pulled up to the brow and I debarked I saw the commanding officer standing at the end, waiting for me.

"Well, I guess we have to call you 'Godzilla' from now on."

The name stuck, but I made it my own by removing "GOD" from the equation.  (The word "sama" means "lord" in Japanese.)

That's funny. 
I think there is even more to "sama" ... there is san, sama, and chan ... which are added after a name. San is just a general term of respect, sama is a higher term of respect and (I might be wrong) implies a personal relationship, and chan is a term of endearment. In light of that, I always laugh when I see Godzilla sama, as it implies Godzilla is a "friend".
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gawdzilla Sama

Oh and BTW, the tomatobuddies in my (and Oaktree's) tagline has to do with La Tomatina in Bunol, Spain.  It's basically a huge festival where people just have one massive tomato fight.  We were talking about it in a thread and we both said we HAVE to go! Hence, tomatobuddies.   Heart  I wish there was an emoji throwing tomatoes.  I think I'll start a petition  Winking
The following 6 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Tres Leches, Phaedrus, Fireball, OakTree500, GenesisNemesis, Mark

(05-11-2019, 01:11 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Tres Leches is a delicious dessert and sort of rhymes. It sounded cool so I went with it.

My avatar is some random photo I found on the internet.

Just kidding, that's me.   Big Grin 

-Teresa

I just noticed that you somewhat favor Jodie Whittaker.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Tres Leches

(05-11-2019, 02:27 AM)Jenny Wrote: Oh and BTW, the tomatobuddies in my (and Oaktree's) tagline has to do with La Tomatina in Bunol, Spain.  It's basically a huge festival where people just have one massive tomato fight.  We were talking about it in a thread and we both said we HAVE to go! Hence, tomatobuddies.   Heart  I wish there was an emoji throwing tomatoes.  I think I'll start a petition  Winking

The tomato is my favorite fruit. Maybe I'll get myself a tomatobuddy avatar.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Jenny, OakTree500

The username is the result of a need for a not entirely trash username unlike my last, and a spur of the moment portmanteau between 'mediocre' (because I am thoroughly so), and 'eucharist' (because that's the first word I thought of which sort of blended with mediocre).

I picked my avatar because it had two of the few things I have interest in; photography, and anime.
Breathing takes too much effort.
The following 4 users Like Mediocharist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Jenny, Unsapien, jerry mcmasters

Bucky has always been my nick-name since I was a wee lad.
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Jenny, Unsapien, skyking

(05-11-2019, 03:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Bucky has always been my nick-name since I was a wee lad.

I'm always reminded of this when I see your username.

(05-11-2019, 03:10 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 02:27 AM)Jenny Wrote: Oh and BTW, the tomatobuddies in my (and Oaktree's) tagline has to do with La Tomatina in Bunol, Spain.  It's basically a huge festival where people just have one massive tomato fight.  We were talking about it in a thread and we both said we HAVE to go! Hence, tomatobuddies.   Heart  I wish there was an emoji throwing tomatoes.  I think I'll start a petition  Winking

The tomato is my favorite fruit. Maybe I'll get myself a tomatobuddy avatar.

You so should  Thumbs Up
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • OakTree500

I had this brilliant idea of fire as an avatar, but is sort of flamed out. Tongue  It's a nod to pyrophilia. I like fire. Don't mistake it for pyromania, which is antisocial and destructive.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien

(05-11-2019, 03:58 AM)Fireball Wrote: I had this brilliant idea of fire as an avatar, but is sort of flamed out. Tongue  It's a nod to pyrophilia. I like fire. Don't mistake it for pyromania, which is antisocial and destructive.

You should probably find an animated gif avatar of fire. Wink
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Fireball, skyking

Oh yay Phaedrus! I’m loving your new avatar  Heart   Heart
The following 1 user Likes Jenny's post:
  • Phaedrus

(05-11-2019, 04:04 AM)Jenny Wrote: Oh yay Phaedrus! I’m loving your new avatar  Heart   Heart

I saw it and liked it and just decided to go with it. xD
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Jenny

(05-11-2019, 04:00 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 03:58 AM)Fireball Wrote: I had this brilliant idea of fire as an avatar, but is sort of flamed out. Tongue  It's a nod to pyrophilia. I like fire. Don't mistake it for pyromania, which is antisocial and destructive.

You should probably find an animated gif guitar of fire.  Wink

Had to fix that, apologies.  [Image: 2eprp0l.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, Fireball

(05-11-2019, 04:16 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:00 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

You should probably find an animated gif guitar of fire.  Wink

Had to fix that, apologies.  [Image: 2eprp0l.jpg]

Shred it, Jimi!  ROFL2

I've never learned to play a musical instrument, in spite of having perfect pitch. I did teach myself to play "Clementine" by mouthing a harmonica. Reading notes bores the ass off me (apologies to all musicians here), in spite of the close relationship between musical notes and scales and music theory and mathematical symbolism (which I used for decades). My eldest son picked up his mother's mother's ancient alto sax that had been sitting in her attic for decades, fiddled a bit with the thing, and trilled off "Happy Birthday", first try. He plays the viola, and performed with the Los Angeles Junior Philharmonic for awhile before he joined the US Air Force. Make of this what you will.  Whistling
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

[Image: heartfire.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

A member on Atheist Nexus suggested Gandalf as an avatar to me because I am a Lord of the Rings enthusiast and a Middle Earth fan fiction writer.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Jenny, Gawdzilla Sama

(05-11-2019, 02:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 04:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was stationed in Yokosuka Japan back in the early '80s. I made friends with a JN yard worker and he invited me to sleep over at his house one night. His kids were studying English and wanted some practice. During the night there was an earthquake and the house fell on us. Nobody was injured but when they pulled me out and found out I was a foreigner, military to boot, they insisted on taking me to a hospital for a thorough exam. When I passed that they gave me a ride back to my ship via ambulance. Meanwhile the police had notified their state department who called our embassy who called the base commander who called my ship to let them know where I was and that I'd be returned to US custody if I was okay.

When the ambulance pulled up to the brow and I debarked I saw the commanding officer standing at the end, waiting for me.

The name stuck, but I made it my own by removing "GOD" from the equation.  (The word "sama" means "lord" in Japanese.)

That's funny. 
I think there is even more to "sama" ... there is san, sama, and chan ... which are added after a name. San is just a general term of respect, sama is a higher term of respect and (I might be wrong) implies a personal relationship, and chan is a term of endearment. In light of that, I always laugh when I see Godzilla sama, as it implies Godzilla is a "friend".
I have a personal relationship with Mothra. ROFL2
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(05-11-2019, 11:23 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 02:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

That's funny. 
I have a personal relationship with Mothra.  ROFL2

I think you have the most interesting avatar anecdote here, thus far.  Thumbs Up
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Mark

"I want to start the movie off with an earthquake and then build up to an exciting climax." Dance
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I first selected the unique word SYZYGY—no vowels, a Z and three Ys—as a username around twenty-five years ago.
Unfortunately on the first couple of message boards I frequented, nobody could remember how to quickly spell it and
usually abbreviated it to SYZ.  And so I still use it today.

My avatar's meaning is obvious, and if I were king of the world it would be applied ASAP.

[Image: syzygydefinition.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Phaedrus, Deesse23, Fireball, Mark

When I see your nick I think of this:

The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, OakTree500

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiraz_Int...al_Airport
Is this sig thing on?
The following 3 users Like c172's post:
  • Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama

(05-11-2019, 04:51 AM)Dānu Wrote:

[Image: heartfire.jpg]

YOWZA!! Women and fire! What could go wrong? Chuckle  Well, if one is not careful, one can get burned by either.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dānu, Gawdzilla Sama

I dropped "Thoreauvian" since it's now somewhat misleading. I no longer agree with Thoreau about too many issues.

"Alan" is my middle name and "V" is the first letter of my last name.
The following 7 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Jenny, Unsapien, Phaedrus, brewerb, julep, Mark, skyking

(05-15-2019, 01:24 PM)Alan V Wrote: I dropped "Thoreauvian" since it's now somewhat misleading.  I no longer agree with Thoreau about too many issues.

"Alan" is my middle name and "V" is the first letter of my last name.

I didn't know that was you, how are you? Smile
The following 2 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Alan V, mordant