Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBQ thread

BBQ thread
...since I feel like the pizza thread, wonderful as it is, is going off topic. Probably my fault.

If i do anything "bbq" it's usually pulled pork. In a crockpot. And served on either white rice or a bun. And it is boneless pork shoulder that can be put in a dry rub of some sort. Whatever I please, really. Sometimes just Old Bay seasoning. The sauce, which ends up really thin, is any rather cheap national brand of BBQ sauce (Hunts, Kingsford, whatever) combined with soda (Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, or cola), dry onion soup, and maybe sugar or honey, and Tabasco. 

My uncle in St. Louis LOVES ribs. I HATE getting sloppy. So the way I do them (again, crockpot) is just with a dry rub. No sauce. Let the meat shine. I'll need to look up the recipe I used last time. 

Do you BBQ? What? Sauce or no sauce? What kind of sauce? Any sides/desserts/whatever?

anything else we should know?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • brewerb, Old Man Marsh

BBQ thread
I'm with you, primarily pulled pork. Pressure cooker, loin or tenderloin, spices (garlic/onion/red pepper/liquid smoke), sauce after. Off the shelf sauce, memphis or KC style.

Predict baby derail.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • TheGulegon

BBQ thread
WTF?  Crockpot or pressure cooker?

This is a fucking BBQ!

[Image: bbq01.jpg]

Big Grin      Big Grin      Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • TheGulegon

BBQ thread
I love BBQs. Always have. I love the smell more than anything. Unfortunately no one else seems to want to have them. I'm hoping that if we manage to adopt then we can start to have some BBQs otherwise if it's just my husband and I we won't ever bother.

Getting MS threatened to stop me having BBQs ever again because I can no longer eat meat but I just chuck on huge fillets of salmon and voraciously consume it all.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • brewerb, TheGulegon

BBQ thread
Love the food, despise fixing it. One of my  sons bought a smoker and will smoke some beef on occasion. I'll be having spare ribs today for lunch, but the restaurant about a mile away is fixing them for me. I did grill some cod fillets last night for dinner, though. Then, on Easter I spit-roasted a boneless leg of lamb. Where's the emoji with the utensils!?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • brewerb, TheGulegon

BBQ thread
Yesterday's Meals-On-Wheels was BBQ pulled pork. That will be lunch, as I had other meals ahead of it in the queue. I love BBQ, but I don't get it very often, and it's hard for me to eat without making a mess. As a result, besides adding barbecue sauce to my beans, the closest that I typically get is bringing home a pre-cooked rack of ribs. I really love BBQ, I just don't have the opportunity that much.

That reminds me, I've got six chicken drummies in the freezer. Those would work good with BBQ sauce, even if that doesn't please the purists.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 09:34 AM)SYZ Wrote: WTF?  Crockpot or pressure cooker?

This is a fucking BBQ!

NO! That's not BBQ, that's gas.   THIS   vvvv   is BBQ.

[Image: 77532344-bbq-grill-pit-glowing-and-flami...e-up-t.jpg]

Big Grin
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ, TheGulegon, TheGentlemanBastard

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 02:20 PM)Dānu Wrote: Yesterday's Meals-On-Wheels was BBQ pulled pork.  That will be lunch, as I had other meals ahead of it in the queue.  I love BBQ, but I don't get it very often, and it's hard for me to eat without making a mess.  As a result, besides adding barbecue sauce to my beans, the closest that I typically get is bringing home a pre-cooked rack of ribs.  I really love BBQ, I just don't have the opportunity that much.

That reminds me, I've got six chicken drummies in the freezer.  Those would work good with BBQ sauce, even if that doesn't please the purists.

Yeah, the mess factor is why, per my OP, I like just dry rub for ribs. My family all sees getting sloppy as part of the point. I see getting full as the only point. With any food.
Is this sig thing on?

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 02:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

This is a fucking BBQ!

Big Grin

Neither one is BBQ. That's grilling.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 4 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, Old Man Marsh, TheGulegon

BBQ thread
Tired of BBQ sauce. Store bought crap is over sweet. Drenched in sugar. I need to start looking at home made without all the sugar. I sometimes go to a local BBQ restaurant that has sauces that are not sugary. I need to use that as a goal, a model. Some traditional low sugar sauces are based on vinegar. I am no fan of vinegary sauces either. The other thing I want with my BBQ is hot, buttered cornbread. All the local BBQ joints here give you a slice of Wonderbread and no butter. A wretched disappointment.

Good smoked brisket, a touch of decent not too sweet sauce, and a good, hot cornbread muffin with real butter. Is that too much to ask?
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

BBQ thread
I grill often. I rarely barbecue. When I do barbecue, it's usually a dry-rub on a center-cut pork roast or sirloin tri-tip roast. When I do use sauce, I make my own.

The last time I barbecued, I took a pork roast and stuffed it with mushrooms and tomatoes, basted it with butter and herbs, and smoked it for four or five hours.

(05-02-2019, 03:18 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

This is a fucking BBQ!

Big Grin

Neither one is BBQ. That's grilling.

dingdingdingding
On hiatus.

BBQ thread
[Image: Pork_zpsjsaquiyx.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

BBQ thread
I fervently hope you don't call THAT ▲ ▲ a barbecue LOL.

BBQ thread
It's a pulled pork sandwhich that I smoked for 16 hours and some chicken that smoked for 5 or 6 so yes that is BBQ.

Here are some ribs in the smoker.

[Image: 7zPGh4s.jpg]

And this is what a BBQ usually looks like at my house.

[Image: final%20product_zps5hidigbx.jpg]
The following 4 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Dānu, brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, Drich

BBQ thread
Mmmm, baby backs from the restaurant about a mile away.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 05:57 PM)SYZ Wrote: I fervently hope you don't call THAT ▲ ▲  a barbecue LOL.

YES I DO!  Ya wanna make somthin' of it!?   Angry   ............................. Tongue

My husband is from South Carolina and does a South Carolina mustard based BBQ sauce.  Some people don't care much for it but I really like it.  It's got some pepper in it and other fine stuff.  He does a mustard based BBQ chicken which is really good too. 

[Image: Mustard-Based-South-Carolina-BBQ-sauce-P3.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu, SYZ, Drich

BBQ thread
Ah, BBQ. The most ancient of sacred traditions.

When I make BBQ (chicken, pork, beef, baby, whatever), whether smoked, on the grill, in the oven, or in a slow cooker, I have a particular sauce that I throw together (taught to me by a lady from New Orleans).

A bottle of hickory-smoked sauce.
Most of a bottle of Italian dressing.
About a dozen dashes of Louisiana hot sauce.
A Creole seasoning mix to my druthers.
A few drops of Worcestershire (or not. Depends on my mood).

Great as a BBQ sauce and as a marinade. It has also made a few people break out into dance, seemingly spontaneously.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

BBQ thread
BBQ?

[Image: d8022847d8ba2823e0b725029898b987.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 05:57 PM)SYZ Wrote: I fervently hope you don't call THAT ▲ ▲  a barbecue LOL.

Coming from a guy who thinks grilling burgers is a barbecue, this is some funny shit.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 01:33 AM)brewerb Wrote: I'm with you, primarily pulled pork. Pressure cooker, loin or tenderloin, spices (garlic/onion/red pepper/liquid smoke), sauce after. Off the shelf sauce, memphis or KC style.

Predict baby derail.

BBQHQ Shy

[Image: 08kcmasterpiece1.JPG]

Bowing
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • brewerb

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 11:00 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: A Creole seasoning mix to my druthers.

I've got a Creole rub that is absolutely fabulous on big fat grilled pork chops and ribs. 

[Image: htSIQWW.png]

It's pretty damned good on grilled shrimp too.
The following 2 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • TheGulegon, Thumpalumpacus

BBQ thread
(05-04-2019, 12:10 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:33 AM)brewerb Wrote: I'm with you, primarily pulled pork. Pressure cooker, loin or tenderloin, spices (garlic/onion/red pepper/liquid smoke), sauce after. Off the shelf sauce, memphis or KC style.

Predict baby derail.

BBQHQ Shy

Bowing

K.C. Masterpiece?!? Don't they have real BBQ sauce in your neck of the woods?!? Tongue

You really need to get yourself some of this:
[Image: 61Nh2SO0jML._SY355_.jpg]

Or, at a minimum, some of this:
[Image: 71rTTQ5q7OL._SY355_.jpg]
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • TheGulegon, Thumpalumpacus

BBQ thread
(05-04-2019, 03:34 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 12:10 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:

Predict baby derail.

BBQHQ Shy

Bowing

K.C. Masterpiece?!? Don't they have real BBQ sauce in your neck of the woods?!? Tongue

You really need to get yourself some of this:
[Image: 61Nh2SO0jML._SY355_.jpg]

Or, at a minimum, some of this:
[Image: 71rTTQ5q7OL._SY355_.jpg]

Oh, I got me a cupboard full of Sweet Baby Rey's! But if'n you don't realize food from the K.C. Masterpiece restaurant is the best there is, you either ain't tasted it, ur there's sumthin wrong with your tongue! Tongue
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

BBQ thread
(05-02-2019, 08:08 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

YES I DO!  Ya wanna make somthin' of it!?   Angry   ............................. Tongue

My husband is from South Carolina and does a South Carolina mustard based BBQ sauce.  Some people don't care much for it but I really like it.  It's got some pepper in it and other fine stuff.  He does a mustard based BBQ chicken which is really good too.

Here in the land downunder, we call that tray/grid thing behind the lower door, under the main oven, a "griller" which
is, unsurprisingly, where we "grill" stuff.  Anything cooked outdoors over a flame is   a! fucking! barbecue!    Tongue

[Image: Chef-Brand-Fan-Forced-Wall-Oven-With-Griller.jpg]

—And I'm truly sorry about your husband's state of origin.  Try and be brave.      Chuckle

BBQ thread
(05-04-2019, 05:03 AM)SYZ Wrote: Here in the land downunder, we call that tray/grid thing behind the lower door, under the main oven, a "griller" which
is, unsurprisingly, where we "grill" stuff.  Anything cooked outdoors over a flame is   a! fucking! barbecue!    Tongue

Typical Aussie, he's got everything upside-down and bass-ackward.
On hiatus.