Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image Resizing

Image Resizing
I've noticed that this board resizes posted images to 600pix X 400pix, which causes
the inclusion of the irritating yellow resizing bar to appear on many (most?) images.

Could I suggest changing the default size for the forum to 800pix X 600pix which is
a more commonly recognised forum "standard"—and which many image hosting sites
use as a common default.

It's no big deal, but it's silly to be often clicking the resizing bar, only to find the original
image is only 5% or 10% percent larger anyway.

[Image: A-smiling-dog.jpg]   This image is 600x400

[Image: gracie_great_pyrenees_puppy.jpg]   This (resized) image is 800x600
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Revenant77x

Image Resizing
I don't mind changing the dimensions of the picture size. I'd like to get some feedback from other forum members, but it was a pretty simple thing to set.   Nod
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • SYZ

Image Resizing
800x600 is cool. Sometimes when I clip something from twitter, it's not always very readable on the smaller size.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • SYZ

Image Resizing
I think it's fine the way it is. Whichever size you choose is always going to be a compromise which serves some purposes well at the expense of other purposes poorly. I am not a mobile user, except on a tablet, but I suspect a smaller rather than larger default size is friendlier to the number of people reading on phones or tablets.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Image Resizing
The thread title made me think it was about resizing something else.....
                                                         T4618

Image Resizing
I use  https://postimages.org/ for uploading/hosting my images, and 800x600 is one of their "standard" sizes.

Their next size down is 640x480, which is the widely accepted size for message boards, with a standard screen ratio of 4 : 3.

[Image: maxresdefault-1.jpg]

... which this site downsizes to 640x360, with a screen ratio of 16 : 9.  

Why the 16 : 9 ratio rather than the standard 4 : 3 ratio?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Image Resizing
I like the 800x600 suggestion.

(04-05-2019, 02:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: Why the 16 : 9 ratio rather than the standard 4 : 3 ratio?

It's the standard ratio for widescreen TVs and monitors:

Code:
4:3    1.33:1  Standard Channels
16:9   1.77:1  HD Channels
21:9   2.35:1  Most movies
14:10  1.4:1   IMAX Film

Image Resizing
I had this conversation with a co-worker at Hyperwar. He wanted pictures a certain size "because they fit better on the screen." My reply was "on this 27" monitor or my cell phone?"
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Image Resizing
(04-05-2019, 02:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: I use  https://postimages.org/ for uploading/hosting my images, and 800x600 is one of their "standard" sizes.

Their next size down is 640x480, which is the widely accepted size for message boards, with a standard screen ratio of 4 : 3.

[Image: maxresdefault-1.jpg]

... which this site downsizes to 640x360, with a screen ratio of 16 : 9.  

Why the 16 : 9 ratio rather than the standard 4 : 3 ratio?

Why not 3:2 which is what the real cameras do?

Besides, to get the original, just click the freakin' bar.  Facepalm
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte