Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music That Reflects Your Persona Or Journey In Life

The following 2 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • GirlyMan, Alan V

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • GirlyMan, Dancefortwo

Well, my mother loved the music to the old 1944 movie, Laura and named she me after the theme song to that movie.  My father played it at my wedding.  If my husband and I go out to a fancy restaurant somehwere and there happens to be a decent pianist he asks him or her to play the song.  It's a rather romantic song but it seems to have followed me around throughout my life

T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GirlyMan, Kim, mordant, Mark

Amor fati.
The following 3 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

I stopped musically evolving in the 1990's. I guess it would mostly be late 60's, 70's and 80's rock with new wave and punk thrown in on the side.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(03-30-2019, 06:19 AM)Red Belt Wrote:

Time does not matter.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Amor fati.

(04-01-2019, 12:57 AM)brewerb Wrote: I stopped musically evolving in the 1990's. I guess it would mostly be late 60's, 70's and 80's rock with new wave and punk thrown in on the side.

I've been evolving musically, and personally, my whole 43 year life. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing. Just that I've felt the need to reinvent myself a lot to be a more evolved person. 

I grew up with very few friends, due in part to my disability, and in part to moving around a lot in high school. As a result, in elementary and middle school, I took no interest in what my peers were listening to. I hung out with the teachers, parent volunteers, and other social outliers like myself. So, therefore, I started listening to what the adults (besides my "cool mom") were listening to. One of the popular stations across all demographics was smooth jazz/new age, so that's what I liked. Stuff like this:

https://davidvantieghem.bandcamp.com/tra...ing-hearts

To Be Cont'd...
Is this sig thing on?

(04-01-2019, 01:19 AM)c172 Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 12:57 AM)brewerb Wrote: I stopped musically evolving in the 1990's. I guess it would mostly be late 60's, 70's and 80's rock with new wave and punk thrown in on the side.

I've been evolving musically, and personally, my whole 43 year life. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing. Just that I've felt the need to reinvent myself a lot to be a more evolved person. 

I grew up with very few friends, due in part to my disability, and in part to moving around a lot in high school. As a result, in elementary and middle school, I took no interest in what my peers were listening to. I hung out with the teachers, parent volunteers, and other social outliers like myself. So, therefore, I started listening to what the adults (besides my "cool mom") were listening to. One of the popular stations across all demographics was smooth jazz/new age, so that's what I liked. 
To Be Cont'd...

I had to continue in a reply because I think there's a link limit per post. Anyhow, I did slowly evolve, and start loving freeform radio stations (some college, some not). Stations like KEXP (Seattle), KUOI (Moscow, ID), KDHX (St. Louis), etc. 4Stations that might consider following a block of punk with a block of klezmer. 

fast forwarding to nowadays, I am still a musical eccentric, but don't much listen to the stuff of my childhood. I listen to 80's/early 90's pop, indie, drone, ambient techno, old jazz and others. The aforementioned 80's/90's pop/rock is likely what I would have liked if I had socially evolved more typically. 

So, as it is now, here is some stuff I currently like:

ETA: Help. No clue how to condense what I replied to. Hide tags seem not to work.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • brewerb

(04-01-2019, 01:29 AM)c172 Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:19 AM)c172 Wrote:

I grew up with very few friends, due in part to my disability, and in part to moving around a lot in high school. As a result, in elementary and middle school, I took no interest in what my peers were listening to. I hung out with the teachers, parent volunteers, and other social outliers like myself. So, therefore, I started listening to what the adults (besides my "cool mom") were listening to. One of the popular stations across all demographics was smooth jazz/new age, so that's what I liked. 
To Be Cont'd...

I had to continue in a reply because I think there's a link limit per post. Anyhow, I did slowly evolve, and start loving freeform radio stations (some college, some not). Stations like KEXP (Seattle), KUOI (Moscow, ID), KDHX (St. Louis), etc. 4Stations that might consider following a block of punk with a block of klezmer. 

fast forwarding to nowadays, I am still a musical eccentric, but don't much listen to the stuff of my childhood. I listen to 80's/early 90's pop, indie, drone, ambient techno, old jazz and others. The aforementioned 80's/90's pop/rock is likely what I would have liked if I had socially evolved more typically. 

ETA: Help. No clue how to condense what I replied to. Hide tags seem not to work.

I just removed the links in the quoted content...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • brewerb

The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • julep

If my life had a soundtrack, it would be Nine Inch Nails.

Bonus Tracks

Show ContentSpoiler:

Show ContentSpoiler:

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

Being a guitarist, I've got two sets of songs that changed my life. The first, musical, would probably not say much. I liked the guitar sound or harmony or whatever on this or that song. But that's one aspect of me, the musician aspect, and not the whole me.

On a personal level, what I'm gettin' from the OP, these songs were pretty big for me. Corny as hell, but whatever.

And then there's the one that sums it up for me.

On hiatus.

"Fearless" by Pink Floyd, as an approximation for where I started and struggled to a better place. Not claiming I never had fears, just that I climbed that hill...in my own way.

"Time" by Pink Floyd is a good one for maybe motivating some people.

Get up and go before your whole life passes you by! I did hang on in (maybe not so) quiet desperation for many years.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone  Sun Can someone post it for me as I’m on my phone and don’t know how  Big Grin  girl blushing

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(05-11-2019, 04:33 AM)Jenny Wrote: Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone  Sun Can someone post it for me as I’m on my phone and don’t know how  Big Grin  girl blushing

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Jenny

I’m
(05-11-2019, 05:18 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:33 AM)Jenny Wrote: Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone  Sun Can someone post it for me as I’m on my phone and don’t know how  Big Grin  girl blushing

Thank you Smile

On hiatus.

The music that reflects my journey right here and right now would be

Every time I listen to this, I think of you. RiP, Bob. You meant more to me than you could ever know.

This song stirs poetic imagination to me:

And I'm not sure why this one tweaks me so, but there's a spirituality to it that resonates to me:

On hiatus.

No gods necessary

I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(04-01-2019, 12:48 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Well, my mother loved the music to the old 1944 movie, Laura and named she me after the theme song to that movie.  My father played it at my wedding.  If my husband and I go out to a fancy restaurant somehwere and there happens to be a decent pianist he asks him or her to play the song.  It's a rather romantic song but it seems to have followed me around throughout my life

You could have been dogged by far worse songs. It's always been a favorite of mine. When I used to tickle the ivories it was part of my repertoire, such as it was.